Who is into building PC's/Gaming rigs?

mr2cam

Established Member
For those of you who are interested the battlefield 1 open beta is out till the 8th. I've been really enjoying this game. Runs really well on the GTX1080. 1440P Ultra settings at 100fps lol
[video=youtube;0y_0R1MeR34]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y_0R1MeR34[/video]

Played it all weekend, game has some issues but most should be fixed before the final release, going to pick it up.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I'm not really finding a whole lot on a particular combo I'm eyeing, so maybe someone here has some firsthand (or just some kind period) experience with this? It's a i5-6600 and a GTX 1070. Do they pair together nicely? Offer solid 1080p gaming? I know the 1070 is a beast of a card, I just want to make sure the i5-6600 isn't holding it back or otherwise negatively affecting the complete setup. Thanks fellas!

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not really finding a whole lot on a particular combo I'm eyeing, so maybe someone here has some firsthand (or just some kind period) experience with this? It's a i5-6600 and a GTX 1070. Do they pair together nicely? Offer solid 1080p gaming? I know the 1070 is a beast of a card, I just want to make sure the i5-6600 isn't holding it back or otherwise negatively affecting the complete setup. Thanks fellas!

No Modern cpu will bottleneck a GPU. You're fine. You could even get an i3.

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member

You should do the i7-6950x...nah, I'm jk. You'll be fine with that choice.

mr2cam

Established Member
No Modern cpu will bottleneck a GPU. You're fine. You could even get an i3.

That is not 100% true, I experienced a cpu bottleneck using an AMD 8320 and a GTX 980, mainly because AMD single core performance is horrible

Kiohtee

Established Member
I've read this i5-6600 bottlenecks the 1070 on more CPU-demanding games such as GTA V, ARMA 3 and Witcher 3, but that with slightly lower settings and draw distances it's not too bad. Hopefully I don't regret this purchase.

6.0GTO

Established Member
Moving forward with future games that run DX12 CPU's will come into play. Whether or not the difference in FPS from an i7 to and i5 matters to you will be an important question. With DX12 able to split the workload to multiple cores I would do an i7 if I were building a system.

I don't work for Intel anymore but I actually use to make these. Fab 11x and then moved onto D1D in Oregon. D1D works on ramping the next process to an acceptable yield. Haswell was the last architecture I worked with.

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Thanks!

Why stop there? Might as well get a Titan X or two GTX 1080s at that point! :lol:

It's honestly not worth getting the best of the best unless you intend to keep the sane setup for 10 years. I currently have a 5 year old setup that I got the i7-3970x Extreme & all the top notch stuff to go along with it. It hasn't flenched yet after 5 years & I hope to get a few more years out of it before failure. I have liquid cooling & a Cosmos 2 case modified to fix max amount of fans to ensure longevity. I feel like a peasant though with all the new crap coming out

I primarily run AutoCad, Navisworks, Solidworks, ANSYS, etc. So it's pretty intensive use.

mr2cam

Established Member
There was a little talk about the difference between an NVME SSD vs a regular Sata SSD. So I did a benchmark to compare my 500GB M.2 SSD vs a 1 TB Sata SSD, and just for lolz I threw in my mechanical storage drive.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
It's honestly not worth getting the best of the best unless you intend to keep the sane setup for 10 years. I currently have a 5 year old setup that I got the i7-3970x Extreme & all the top notch stuff to go along with it. It hasn't flenched yet after 5 years & I hope to get a few more years out of it before failure. I have liquid cooling & a Cosmos 2 case modified to fix max amount of fans to ensure longevity. I feel like a peasant though with all the new crap coming out

I primarily run AutoCad, Navisworks, Solidworks, ANSYS, etc. So it's pretty intensive use.

Lol that's really the trick when building a rig. As soon as you build a somewhat future proof machine, if that's even possible, the latest and greatest is either on the horizon or already on the shelves.

I too feel like a kid who had a birthday party no one showed up for with my measly 980ti.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
There was a little talk about the difference between an NVME SSD vs a regular Sata SSD. So I did a benchmark to compare my 500GB M.2 SSD vs a 1 TB Sata SSD, and just for lolz I threw in my mechanical storage drive.

Nice numbers, but for others FYI you can have m.2 in both PCI-E and SATA interfaces. PCI-E will be the critical part to higher speeds, and then NVME is a step above that.

mnewxcv

Established Member
For those of you who are interested the battlefield 1 open beta is out till the 8th. I've been really enjoying this game. Runs really well on the GTX1080. 1440P Ultra settings at 100fps lol
[video=youtube;0y_0R1MeR34]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y_0R1MeR34[/video]

I played a little. Don't love the map personally but gameplay feels good. 60+ FPS contant, maxed out ultra 1600p with a 780ti and 3930k. Hope they make a vietnam game based on that engine.

helloWorld

Established Member
Custom build I did for one of our local Biomed departments.

CPU: i5 6600 (Using stock cooler)
GPU: GTX 1060 3GB (Mini), Zotac
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance
Storage: 512GB M.2 SanDisk X400
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E
Power Supply: 650 Watt, Rosewill Quark
Case: Corsair Carbide 200R (Mid-Tower)

Parts all strewn about.
img-0038.jpg

Getting some stuff mocked up.
img-0039.jpg

Installing Windows 10. It only took like ten minutes for a fresh install from scratch.
img-0041.jpg

Cleaned up the wiring as best I could with what cable management I had.
img-0045.jpg

All ready to go.
img-0046.jpg

Kiohtee

Established Member
How do those mini GPUs hold up? Any overheating problems under long/intensive loads?

My first build:
i5-6400 (2.7/3.3GHz)
Stock HSF
H110
8GB DDR4
120GB SSD
1TB HDD
GTX 1060 3GB
600W PSU
NZXT S340 Razer Edition case

Can't wait to see how this thing performs!

mr2cam

Established Member
How do those mini GPUs hold up? Any overheating problems under long/intensive loads?

My first build:
i5-6400 (2.7/3.3GHz)
Stock HSF
H110
8GB DDR4
120GB SSD
1TB HDD
GTX 1060 3GB
600W PSU
NZXT S340 Razer Edition case

Can't wait to see how this thing performs!

The 1060 is a great budget card, although I think the 3GB model should have been named the 1050. It will hold up ok for now but that 3GB vram will hamper you in future games, it wasn't very much extra to get a 6gb model, which is what I will be putting into my media center.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I don't expect it to be in my rig long enough to hamper me honestly. Only went with a 1060 3GB for my wife's sake, since she has let me pour so much money into my car. Figured I could cut her some slack on a part that's easy to just pull out and swap.

1070 here I come!

KyleSVT

Terminated
Established Member
Here is an unboxing video of my EVGA GTX1080 FTW. This is my second card as the first one was defective. I would get a black screen and the card's fans would go up to 100% after like 3hrs of gameplay. They said it was a known problem with a small batch of cards so they sent me a new card free of charge and paid for return shipping. Hope this one works well lol.
[video=youtube;SZQaof0h3SE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZQaof0h3SE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread