Who do so many V8 guys, just HATE on Tesla?

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Physics. You can't do it. The energy isn't there, even if you could convert it all, instead of just the 19% that current solar cells can convert.

I had a friend tell me his regenerative braking added power to his batteries. I had to explain how most of that is still converted to heat because a battery can only absorb so much charge at one time. And he was saying, no, it was free energy. I said, if that were the case, drive with your foot on the brake all the time and you'll always be charging the battery! You'll never have to stop, never have to recharge!
Lmao. So true.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Physics. You can't do it. The energy isn't there, even if you could convert it all, instead of just the 19% that current solar cells can convert.

I had a friend tell me his regenerative braking added power to his batteries. I had to explain how most of that is still converted to heat because a battery can only absorb so much charge at one time. And he was saying, no, it was free energy. I said, if that were the case, drive with your foot on the brake all the time and you'll always be charging the battery! You'll never have to stop, never have to recharge!

Don't forget to tell him he owns a perpetual motion machine!

Intervention302

Established Member

To clarify, as I of course know you know what you're talking about here.

To use the regenerative brakes, you actually don't touch the brake pedal. Doing so actually reduces the amount of energy "captured"

On the Model 3 the regen brake is actually pretty strong. I typically drive from home to work and back without ever touching the brake pedal

To use the brake regen you simply take the foot off the gas. It then decides how hard to brake depending on battery condition, temp, State of Charge, and speed. It will put the brake lights on then if needed

Odd at first for sure

Last edited:

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
My biggest fear is the unavoidable rise in electric rates when we have to upgrade the entire electric infrastructure. Imagine the power draw in a 1000 unit apartment complex all running 220 chargers.

Intervention302

Established Member
I am sure this will end well. If there is one thing that we know it is that the Chinese and Congolese are trusted business partners

"Congo accounted for 70% of the world’s total output of cobalt last year, with Chinese investors controlling a similar proportion of cobalt production."

As I stated in an earlier post.

Elon has switched the cheaper Teslas to a LiFePO4, or LFP for short.

Cobalt and nickel free. Just need iron (literally everywhere) and lithium (3rd most abundant element)

There is also new technology able to diffuse lithium from sea water.

But you're not technically wrong. This is bad news of course (the Congo). Countries will go to war over minerals like this. Be no different than the wars for oil. Bad all around

Intervention302

Established Member
My biggest fear is the unavoidable rise in electric rates when we have to upgrade the entire electric infrastructure. Imagine the power draw in a 1000 unit apartment complex all running 220 chargers.
Electric rates in my state are already going crazy. Sucks.

$0.18 per kWh here.

For reference my car pulls 11.4kwh from my home charger. 240v at 48amps

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
and lithium (3rd most abundant element)

Thats not as great of news as you think. Lithium prices are moving faster than Cobalt and Nickel.

1647136407458.png

That is weird that Tesla does not need nickel for its batteries. I wonder why they locked up capacity with BHP this past summer? Do you know something Elon doesn't? 20% of this is coming from Russia BTW.

Last edited:

Intervention302

Established Member
Thats not as great of news as you think. Lithium prices are moving faster than Cobalt and Nickel.

View attachment 1741558
That is weird that Tesla does not need nickel for its batteries. I wonder why they locked up capacity with BHP this past summer? Do you know something Elon doesn't? 20% of this is coming from Russia BTW.

I never said they don't need nickel or cobalt.

I said there is a new design battery that is used in the cheaper models that doesn't need it.

Intervention302

Established Member
Will that come out before or after the EV semi truck?
The LFP battery is already out in the RWD models all over the world. There are both pros and cons to the LFP battery.

Unless you'd like to twist these words as well?

You'd make a great politician

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member

I said there is a new design battery that is used in the cheaper models that doesn't need it.

Less energy density and more weight to equal old battery. Claim it's OK because it will equal old battery tech after one year due to less battery degradation. They literally going backwards because they know mining will not support nickel/cobalt. Problem, the new design iron batteries suck ass worse than the old in the cold.

Intervention302

Established Member
Less energy density and more weight to equal old battery. Claim it's OK because it will equal old battery tech after one year due to less battery degradation. They literally going backwards because they know mining will not support nickel/cobalt. Problem, the new design iron batteries suck ass worse than the old in the cold.
My understanding was the LFP was better in the cold. I'm sure neither are great. My NCA in extreme winter weather (15* blizzard conditions) I saw around a 40-45% reduction in range.

I know they are less energy dense and can be routinely charged, and stored, at 100% SOC

phil a

Established Member
As I stated in an earlier post.

Elon has switched the cheaper Teslas to a LiFePO4, or LFP for short.

Cobalt and nickel free. Just need iron (literally everywhere) and lithium (3rd most abundant element)

There is also new technology able to diffuse lithium from sea water.

But you're not technically wrong. This is bad news of course (the Congo). Countries will go to war over minerals like this. Be no different than the wars for oil. Bad all around

But lithium isn’t everywhere. The elements are listed in order of atomic mass not abundance. Gotta remember gases like hydrogen oxygen and nitrogen, solids like carbon and iron etc. are literally everywhere.

Will see how this turns out. I hate the subsidized electric push. The mandates of 2035 etc. The regulations stating ‘x’ mpg across a fleet, essentially forcing the hand of the people who aren’t all in agreement. The smug self-righteousness of most - not all - of these Tesla owners. How it has become a fashion trend - again for most, not all, who buy these things.

I’ll drive electric only when I’m forced to. None of it makes sense and the power to needing to be drawn by the collective of all-electric vehicles each night is just an absurd pipe dream that’s being forced upon us. Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Enjoy your car.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member

Uhhhh.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

That's exactly why "mass transit" is another top priority for the marxists.

quad

Established Member
Nuclear fusion reactors could help. There's still a lot of work left to make them feasible but they made some progress recently. You're right though the current infrastructure cannot keep up if there were many more electric vehicles that require charging. Power generation capacity would have to be upgraded also to make mass adoption of electric cars a reality. And hopefully ICE in some form will be able to still continue on for enthusiasts.

Users who are viewing this thread