Who did NOT do the head cooling mod and survived long term??

bigwave

Established Member
OK, dropping the trany and trying to talk myself into our out of doing one of the head cooling mods to my 03 cobra. It's pullied, cat back, CAI, and a BAMA tune, that's it. So, for all of you who did or did not do the head cooling mod, any problems? Car has 40k miles on it, goes to 1/8 mile track once a year for a few runs and does car show burnouts, 98.5% normal road driving.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You don't "have" to do the head cooling mod, of course, but it is usually recommended. Especially if you're in a convenient position to do it. Only a small percentage of '03-'04 Cobras have developed the tick issue, so in all likelihood you'll never experience it. And your mods won't affect it either way. All that said, if I was in your shoes I'd probably do it, just because it's a convenient time to do it and you'll have assurance going forward that you won't have to deal with an issue down the road, IF it were to develop. JMO.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
You don't "have" to do the head cooling mod, of course, but it is usually recommended. Especially if you're in a convenient position to do it. Only a small percentage of '03-'04 Cobras have developed the tick issue, so in all likelihood you'll never experience it. And your mods won't affect it either way. All that said, if I was in your shoes I'd probably do it, just because it's a convenient time to do it and you'll have assurance going forward that you won't have to deal with an issue down the road, IF it were to develop. JMO.

+1, also recommended tune upgrade

ITSTOCK

Established Member
I have chosen to not do it on either car. Since people started doing it in 2005ish, I have yet to see it actually be a worthwhile mod.

wckdvnm

Established Member
My car had 126k and I beat on it and I have no tick. But I do have a 2004 and haven't pullied the car yet.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

hotcobra03

Established Member
No hcm..

4 thread replaced by ford@60kish
9 thread valve seat@170kish
same head cracked cyl #7@200kish

Installed latest new complete head.
@409k now

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Bone stock with 15,000 miles. No plans to mod, but out of curiosity, what is the head cooling mod again?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I bought my car new and now it has 120k. Pullied, daily driven, frequently raced, but still running strong. Personally, I don't think it's necessary.

cj428mach

Established Member
In my opinion as someone who had the head tick develop by 8500 miles I would highly recommend you do it. The problem is loose valve seats and these cars have a crappy fitment on them from the factory.

I know Malcolm's car wasn't ticking but when he had his heads done he had a loose seat so he was about to start having issues, I believe he was around 45k miles. Here's Modular headshops take on it.

"03/04 Cobra Guys and Gals - Please be aware that the 03/04 Cobra, Mach 1 and Aviator Heads all have less than adequate Exhaust Valve Seat press fit. We are not sure why, nearly every set we have seen in the last 3 years has had at least one loose exhaust seat. We will not take any chances in sending a set of heads out that we are not 100% confident in. We haven't had any Valve Seats fall out and we aren't planning on it! With that being said, we will have to replace the Exhaust Seats with a better alloy and fitment. The cost of this is an additional $320.00 and includes the price of the Valve Seats. "

To me the head cooling mod is so cheap and easy to do that it should be done to help possibly prevent issues. I know I spoke to a local guy that had big terminator builds that told me the HCM was a must but I didn't listen. I wished I had listened, might have saved me from pulling the motor and installing a revised 05 head. Which I still installed a HCM with the revised head.

Last edited:

bigwave

Established Member
Alright, if I'm going to do it and I have the trans out, which kit gets me on with the clutch project in the most efficient manner possible? It looked like there was a kit that just took the drain plug out of the left and fed it over to the right where it went through the heater core and ???

stangfreak

Established Member
Iv had my car since 03 and I dont have it done. All my friends who had a cobra, not one had a head cooling mod. And they were dippin into the 9's and 10's on stock motor. I even had a vendor tell me not to do it. I never did it.

JT's car had the tick. Loud as hell. No cooling mods. car was going 11.20's without a ported eaton. lol. pullied and bolt on's.

speedoflife

Established Member
This question is basically the same as asking "if I have sex with a woman without a condom, will I get her pregnant or get STDs?"

Most of the time, no. But that's playing with some hot fire man.

Why would you take that chance when a motor is hard to find and $6000+ and the head cooling mod costs $100 on the upper end?

Everyone knows that these mods address and engineering oversight. Sure you may skate by without the added cooling in the back of the head, but I see plenty of examples includig ticking heads and cracked cylinders.

I personally think the Evenflow design is best, but that an opinion.

Wear or install protection on both of your cobras.

IllCobra

Established Member
My 03 cobra dropped a valve seat at 60k miles shortly after i bought it. Really wish the previous owner had done the HCM. Do it since you're already there and don't ever let it cross your mind again.

Users who are viewing this thread