whipple with turbo

SonicTerminator

Whistle Box Equipped 4.6
Established Member
anybody ever turbo with a whipple? or have you ever heard of it being done?? i know hellion makes a kit to run with the eaton but what about a whipple??? i would be building my own turbo kit not buying one so fitment will be precise.

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
It's a nono.... Whipple and kenne bell won't handle the pressure. As far as I know only the eaton will work. I'm not trying to change your mind but the eaton will just make it a pain to tune. Turbo is bad ass by itself!

Jay

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
why would you want to twin charge it. do one or the other.

I agree^

The turbo makes stupid power! The supercharger takes power to run, so in turn you will wind up making less power with both then you would with just turbo.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I agree^

The turbo makes stupid power! The supercharger takes power to run, so in turn you will wind up making less power with both then you would with just turbo.

quite true... but with a combination like that, you get the advantage of the turbo's high hp, yet the positive displacement superchargers low end torque..

FORD4U

Established Member
everytime this gets brought up, there are so many guys that insist on asking why you would want a eaton/turbo, its to have the best of both worlds, its whats under the curve that counts, my buddy's 76mm turbo'd cobra is awesome! when the turbo finaly spools....

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
I think the OP was considering something like this. I remember reading the article when it came out in MM&FF. Interesting to see what COULD come of this with a built bottom end.

Weird idea, but it would make a retarded amount of power, getting it to stick to the pavement is a whole different story. Read Below.

Below is taken from the article :

"We watched this setup throw out a certifiably insane 1,188 rwhp and an even more impressive 1,015 rwtq-through a stock engine including the factory cast-iron exhaust manifolds."

Compound Boost 2003 Mustang Cobra Twin-Turbo - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

SonicTerminator

Whistle Box Equipped 4.6
Established Member
well i am for sure doing a built bottom end, massively ported heads, stage 3 cams, just kicking the idea around. thanks for the input!

ModularFan

Established Member
well i am for sure doing a built bottom end, massively ported heads, stage 3 cams, just kicking the idea around. thanks for the input!

Terminators already have built bottom ends, Mahle pistons and Manley H-Beams with ARP hardware. these engines have withstood over 1000hp. how much more built can you get? it's all about the tune.

03TRKB

The LSX Swapped Guy
Established Member
If you want low end and top end, port the heads and run a whipple 4.0. Or Turbo and Eaton, I like Turbo cars because when the Turbo finally spools all hell breaks loose!

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
I like Turbo cars because when the Turbo finally spools all hell breaks loose!
Hhahaha well said!

There's not alot of waiting on turbos to spool with 8 cylinder engines. Yes there's some lag but not enough to worry about.

For instance, say you have a stock long block with a hellion kit and a single bb 76mm turbonetics. It will probably hit full boost at around 3500-3800rpms. (correct me if I'm wrong there) when your racing even with a 6 speed,when you shift your still in boost. Now on a 4 banger Honda it's a different story. If you went turbo alone you would not be disappointed!

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
Terminators already have built bottom ends, Mahle pistons and Manley H-Beams with ARP hardware. these engines have withstood over 1000hp. how much more built can you get? it's all about the tune.

How long did they last with a stock block @ 1000 hp? :dw:

Digital

Established Member
I can already tell who here actually has a turbo cobra, or a compound cobra, or a cobra at all for that matter and who is just talking based upon other peoples info. Classic internet "information."
Look up king of the street for the last 3 years. Gee wonder what car and platform won? That's some "internet information" for you.

95snake03

Established Member
there arent many compound boost cars around anymore because they all blew up. just put a nicely sized turbo on there and you should be more than happy

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
why does everyone want to make 1000 horsepower? its like the guy at the gym that benches 500 lbs. Sure impressive...but at the end of the day is it really worth it?
Id rather be the strong guy, that has skills, and usable strength/has a great physique.

I would compare this to a 700 hp car, that has the right suspension, and is not a tire smoker. Sure the "numbers" arent as great.....but i bet you because it hooks, it will out perform the tire smoker.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Actually they came with Zollner Pistons.

Digital

Established Member
why does everyone want to make 1000 horsepower? its like the guy at the gym that benches 500 lbs. Sure impressive...but at the end of the day is it really worth it?
Id rather be the strong guy, that has skills, and usable strength/has a great physique.

I would compare this to a 700 hp car, that has the right suspension, and is not a tire smoker. Sure the "numbers" arent as great.....but i bet you because it hooks, it will out perform the tire smoker.

What makes you think because a car has 1000rwhp it isn't setup properly? Can you name 3 users with compound setups? Can you name their suspension setups? or any of their setups at all?

there arent many compound boost cars around anymore because they all blew up. just put a nicely sized turbo on there and you should be more than happy
Can you link me to a thread that has a compound car that blew up and wasnt rebuilt? Besides the hellion "test" cars.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread