whipple with turbo

ModularFan

Established Member
How long did they last with a stock block @ 1000 hp? :dw:

Considering most well known engine builder's use similar engine parts with there own builds, pretty damn well they hold up. look on MMR or Lethal etc, they use Manley H- and I-beams and ARP hardware for there builds, and there going over 1000hp some of em. if they were shit no engine builder would use em. Like I said its all in the tune. having your timing/ A/F whatever the case may be slightly off and there goes your motor, no matter what hardware etc you have in it.

Actually they came with Zollner Pistons.

thanks

FORD4U

Established Member
I agree that a hp number should take a back seat to what you’re really after, i.e. fast street car, fast 1/4 mile or whatever it is. Not that hp numbers aren’t impressive, but it is not everything. I have a buddy with a cobra that has laid down mid 800's on a dyno and they told him he could raise his boost and make around 950ish but his best 1/4 mile time is a 11.4, I have another guy i worked with that had a Chevy that was 500 to the wheels and the camero's best time was 12.7. i have had cars run that with around 300 hp. morale of the story let’s not worry about the power level, just build a fun car and enjoy.

SonicTerminator

Whistle Box Equipped 4.6
Established Member
Terminators already have built bottom ends, Mahle pistons and Manley H-Beams with ARP hardware. these engines have withstood over 1000hp. how much more built can you get? it's all about the tune.

studs head to toe, pistons that arent going to melt, oil pump, cams that arent 7 degrees off.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
anybody ever turbo with a whipple? or have you ever heard of it being done?? i know hellion makes a kit to run with the eaton but what about a whipple??? i would be building my own turbo kit not buying one so fitment will be precise.

The Whipple's and KB's can't hold up to compound boost due to their contruction. Your best bet is to port the eaton honestly.

Terminators already have built bottom ends, Mahle pistons and Manley H-Beams with ARP hardware. these engines have withstood over 1000hp. how much more built can you get? it's all about the tune.

Actually they came with Zollner Pistons.

Exactly Zolner pistons. Which are not that bad as we have seen many 03-04's living comfortably at 600rwhp for a long while. But the pistons are still a weak link, as is the very tight piston to wall clearance. All the terminator engines really need to be "bullet proof" is better pistons, arp 2000 rod bolts and take care of the PTW problem. Like mentioned though, the tune is paramount.

HotStart

Fastest Stock Daytona
Established Member
I have no first hand experience with a compound setup utilizing a twin screw, but it is my understanding that it is not the seals themselves which are the problem. I'm inclined to believe that the issue of blowing the seals out (or lack of practical use even if the seals are fine) is due to the extreme amount of internal pressure within the case of a TS, that is not present on a roots type blower. Given that a roots blower is nothing more than an air pump, and a twin screw internally compresses the air, when air is forced into a roots blower, it is able to flow through, and the only problem arises after the volume of air being pushed through surpasses the volume the the blower would be able to intake on its own. It is at this point when the blower rotors becomes a restriction.

On a twin screw, you cannot "blow through" the rotors in the same way that you can with the Eaton. If there are seal problems, then it is likely that the pressure created within the case during internal rotor compression with the air being forced in is far greater than the unit was ever designed for. I know that there are twinscrews being used in compound setups, so it is a possibility. It would seem to me though that after the intersection point in airflow where the turbos are forcing in a greater volume than the blower can ingest, that a twinscrew would become even more of a restriction than the eaton would (displacement being equal) since the rotor tolerances are so close that the air could not be forced through like with a roots setup.

This link from KB shows a great visual of the difference in rotor design between the two:

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/general-info/twinscrew-vs-roots-fromcatalog.pdf

twinscrew-vs-roots-fromcatalog.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread