Whipple vs Roush vs VMP supercharger set ups for 2015/2016 Mustangs

BSB318

Established Member
Trying to decide which kit to go with.

I see that with the Roush or VMP you need to cut the strut brace , grind under neath where the intake sits and need to grind the timing cover even more than the 2014.

How much does the VMP gen 2 have on the roush head unit ?

Do you need to do any grinding and cutting for the whipple supercharger install like you need to do with a Roush ?

If so , what parts ?

What kind of times can I expect installing one of these kits on a stock 3.55 geared 2016 GT auto with a safe 93 tune ?

roh92cp

Established Member
Whipple requires no cutting or grinding. I installed it in my garage with basic tools. Their house calibration and flight control software with their kit is cutting edge technology with safety features no other manufacturer can offer. With that said the Kenne bell has a very nice setup. I would do some research on the Mustang 6G forced inductions forums. Their is always a hot debate daily on which is the best.

gsxr1300

Established Member
Whipple requires no cutting or grinding. I installed it in my garage with basic tools. Their house calibration and flight control software with their kit is cutting edge technology with safety features no other manufacturer can offer. With that said the Kenne bell has a very nice setup. I would do some research on the Mustang 6G forced inductions forums. Their is always a hot debate daily on which is the best.

What he said.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
definitely a heavily debated topic over on M6G. I can only add that a simple VMP TVS Stg3 kit with a remote flash from Ken Bjonnes (formally of Lund) is a guaranteed 10 sec car on pump gas, definitely not a guarantee with the whipple. Not sure what your goals are, but the good news is that all s/c kits perform on the S550 platform, Beefcake's Paxton setup, VMP TVS, or a Whipple. In my opinion, the most important thing would be the tune, Whipple tune for a Whipple setup until you are ready to go faster, and Bjonnes for any other blower kit.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
https://youtu.be/7OFylkWryLY

^that was in late Summer, 93 octane tune, hi flow catalytic converters, on 20's, haha. I'm headed back in March with a set of Welds, off-road Hpipe, and a tune on MS109, should go low 10's, pulley swap from going 9's. Not sure how fast you wanna go but any of the kits will get you there.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The one that I have the most experience with it the Whipple. Of all the kits I have ever installed it was the highest quality. Extremely impressive.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
With an automatic and the whipple tune people have been going 10.5's

People? You mean "person?" I don't believe he is running the same tune that every other Whipple owner has, from my understanding (which could be wrong) he has worked "extensively" with Whipple on this dragstrip tune. The potential/power is all there with the Whipple kit, but you either need to work extensively with Whipple or give Lund a call, he's the only 10 sec Whipple tuned s550 that I know of.

^That whole situation wasn't as simple as bolting on my kit, flashing my tune, trading 1 datalog, then going 10's in Summer on 20's at 134mph, with cats, pump gas, on less boost then a 3.625 Whipple pulley (12+). I know the Whipple makes power but a lot of people underestimate the results from a VMP TVS.

Last edited:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
All 3 kits offer great performance. All 3 have done EXTENSIVE research are very reputable.
The Roush requires some cutting, which is a drag to most people. Whipple have some killer numbers on the dyno, no doubt about it. The torque is a little lacking though, in my opinion. They run very well at the track too.
In my opinion, the VMP is tops as it is proven time and time again on the track. The torque and hp ratio are respectable to each other, if you look at their dyno sheets. There is one S550 Roushcharged car that is running 10's and in the 130's trap speed, which is a manual car.
Good luck!

gsxr1300

Established Member
His tune is just the newest tune, you can adjust power in each gear to help with traction issues it will be available to all once the those features are finalized. There is more to running 10's than just power, you have to get the power to the ground and know how to drive. Also if you have to have an Emissions compliant (CARB) tune then VMP and Lund are out.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
There is more to running 10's than just power, you have to get the power to the ground and know how to drive. Also if you have to have an Emissions compliant (CARB) tune then VMP and Lund are out.

^^This!

Troponin

Established Member
Only reason to go with ROUSH is if you want the ROUSH warranty. Otherwise, the others are superior. The VMP typically makes more power without adding boost and has lots of great kits and add ons to go along with the set up. As already mentioned, Beefcake has some add on kits as well for the Paxton, making it another great option.

I only went with ROUSH to keep a warranty that my Ford dealership would honor and help me out with. Otherwise, it would have been the VMP for the Mustang, and Whipple for the F150

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
it would have been the VMP for the Mustang, and Whipple for the F150

I chose vmp after their results with my roush tvs 11. My brother chose Whipple for his 15 f150. Their customer support (or lack thereof) and taking 6 months to get it running right, plus the way their representative talks to and about other companies on other boards, turned me off. Not worth it considering the vmp setup is right.

Yeah the grinding turns people off but only people who don't know what's really involved. There's really nothing to it and doesn't remove any structural material.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
What's great with the Roush kit is, Justin from VMP works closely with Roush as well and there are great kits if you wish to add to your Roush car after the warranty is over, if you wish to do so. Just like posted in the 2 above posts. Another reason why I like VMP as the top dog. (Again,.....not to say the other 2 are not great, it's just my opinion.)

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
I've been drag racing for the past 15 years, all of my previous cars were manual, 3 previous 10sec setups. Manuals require a different science to bring together et's & mph, not to mention a stout/built drivetrain, really requires you to become one with your car. Normally I'd agree with saying "There is more to running 10's then just power" but my auto 15 has been the easiest, quickest, and the least frustrating route into the 10's at 130+. I installed my VMP kit with a full exhaust, flashed my Ken Bjonnes tune, exchanged a few datalogs, and I was there, almost like I cheated it was so easy. The crazy thing is, 9's are the new 10's for the S550 platform, erryone is cheating, 4 easy ways to get there depending who's tuning (Paxton, Hellion, Whipple, VMP). S550 is the modern day 2JZ, lol.

Last edited:

gsxr1300

Established Member
I chose vmp after their results with my roush tvs 11. My brother chose Whipple for his 15 f150. Their customer support (or lack thereof) and taking 6 months to get it running right, plus the way their representative talks to and about other companies on other boards, turned me off. Not worth it considering the vmp setup is right.

Yeah the grinding turns people off but only people who don't know what's really involved. There's really nothing to it and doesn't remove any structural material.

How long ago did he Get his F150 Whipple? JMEO has one built last summer and its ran perfect since day one.

Troponin

Established Member

I am on a couple F150 pages and forums, and a lot of guys love their whipple set ups. They are loud as hell too, which, I think most of us love to hear the whine. I haven't heard of any problems so far. Where are the issues stemming from in the system?

Users who are viewing this thread