Whipple to turbo cobra build

mr99svtcobra

Established Member
Where is the waste hate placement ? In front of fan ? If so did you have to trim the fan at all?

rip04ow

Established Member
Just did a quick pull on the dyno until next weekend when we crank it up more... Boost controller isn't working right and I need an adjustable pivot ball for the clutch... On gate pressure only it made 650rwhp 640tq 19* timing 12psi... Extremely happy with the results so far.

rip04ow

Established Member
Did your housing come with an o-ring?

Did you cut up that hose you posted up to make it fit?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just having a hard time visualizing how you set it up looking at that picture.

Here you go.. i used a fox body 180* stat and a gasket that they found to go around the outside of the stat... Drilled 2 holes directly across from each other in the stat

IMG_4941_zpsbi4rl605.jpg

IMG_4942_zpsmn3mcruv.jpg

IMG_4943_zpslhq76mmi.jpg

Where is the waste hate placement ? In front of fan ? If so did you have to trim the fan at all?

No its on the passenger side hot pipe

IMG_4758_zpsxplz6fv5.jpg

Overall this swap was aggravating at times but well worth it. Great results so far for only 12psi. My goal should be easily achievable of 850-900rwhp. Heres a couple of pictures and youtube links.

IMG_4938_zpsww15y0gs.jpg

IMG_4937_zpsyufvkdle.jpg

IMG_4931_zpsjnujw7qm.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jugE-jXhc8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRYFBd_0Y18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fhQxFD9szg

rip04ow

Established Member
So I ended up getting the lakewood pivot ball in and went a little more than 1/4" shorter as I didn't want to pull the trans multiple times to get it right. And it ended up being perfect. So were good now on the clutch engagement.

IMG_4976_zpsoz1knvmh.jpg

IMG_4973_zpsacroum6k.jpg

IMG_4974_zpsnagbte1n.jpg

Recently the car started to run hot when OAT was above 55*... So now I'm switching to a new thermostat housing and will be run in the upper radiator hose. The lower setup might work for some people but without having a bypass its barely opening the thermostat. So the turbo came off. Im extending my oil drain a couple inches, wrapping all the piping with heat wrap. Also decided its a good time to do a light tint on the tail lights while Im waiting on parts.

IMG_5040_zpsym7oyiqc.jpg

Left has been wet sanded and polished. Right only wet sanded

IMG_5062_zpsv6boe4y2.jpg

They turned out perfect and look dark in the pictures but the lighting tonight wasn't cooperating well.
IMG_5064_zpswelf5erh.jpg

And I've decided the car won't be turned up anymore until this goes in. I want complete control of everything and this is the only way. BS3

IMG_5036_zpsvkl78jn9.jpg

94slowbra1

Established Member
my last fox was a turbo car with a BS3. complete control of everything.
looking at where your exhaust exits you arent worried about the heat being right by that front tire?

rip04ow

Established Member
Did you have to get rid of the swaybar with the AC kit?

Yes I did
my last fox was a turbo car with a BS3. complete control of everything.
looking at where your exhaust exits you arent worried about the heat being right by that front tire?
Yeah I can't wait till each cylinder can be controlled. And no I'm not worried about the heat... I've put roughly 400 miles on it so far and there's no issues.

rip04ow

Established Member
Tail lights came out perfect in my opinion.

IMG_5069_zpstufdfjgq.jpg

Got it back together again, thermostat relocated to upper hose and I left the mmr housing in the lower hose but removed the thermostat. 170* stat in the upper should keep it happy all the time now. Big stuff 3 showed up today and we should have it in this weekend or early next week. Then will crank it up to 20+psi.

IMG_5074_zpsb7cp9f1e.jpg

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Did you drill any holes in your thermostat? Just curious as it doesn't appear you're running a bypass.

1990jmcturbo

@03svtjmc
Established Member
Thanks for the help guys... I'm actually planning on doing the wire tuck... You know of a thread with details? Also planned on the pieces from mmr as well, just need to call them and get them ordered. Any downsides to deleting the abs?

hey sorry i just now seen this. i could not tell a diffirence after i did the ABS delete. but i dont drive it in the rain or snow. i am happy with the product. i got it off "infinate machine concepts" facebook page. messaged them and i pay pal them the money got it fast. i did the wire tuck without looking at a thread, it is really easy. and there is only one good way of doing it. but recently i came accross this thread you can go by. i want to go turbo really bad. car sounds GOOD. i follow you on instagram. ( 03svtjmc )

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1018565-Engine-Bay-Wire-Tuck-How-To

rip04ow

Established Member
Been a while since Ive posted anything. The car went into storage in november and recently came out last week and went into the shop where I get my tuning done. So last week I went there and got to work on putting in the big stuff 3 and fixing or changing things that I didn't do last year.

First things first. Remove the aftermarket head unit and remote start crap. I like factory stuff.

IMG_2976_zpsxbmu8q8n.jpg

Cut 1 full coil off the rear springs. Looks much better and I can't go any lower without the rears cutting into the fenders under hard acceleration.

IMG_2987_zpsya9kim8b.jpg

Adjusted the coilovers but ill most likely drop the front another half inch or so.

IMG_3031_zps5nmygtyh.jpg

How it sits now

IMG_3028_zps74ibhh8u.jpg

Big stuff harness is in

IMG_2990_zpsyxnqd0ab.jpg

Im doing the best I can to keep all the wiring tucked as much as possible.

IMG_3021_zpshcjht0hw.jpg

Ignore the vacuum lines in the back those are getting changed this week and will be routed out of the engine bay. Map sensor mounted (orange plug)

IMG_3025_zps9rv5jaz7.jpg

LS coils mounted to the brackets. Plug wires will be here tomorrow and then we need to mount the coil brackets on the engine.

IMG_3008_zpsrvkxcyvz.jpg

Far left is a factory engine harness. Middle is my harness and above that is all the wires that were removed from my harness.

IMG_3030_zpsjccxxyih.jpg

My harness on the left- stock on the right

IMG_3029_zpsuaecuvic.jpg

Tomorrow Ill be changing the rear brakes, finishing up the wiring in the engine bay, install the coils and plug wires, New spark plugs and locate some C-85 for a startup friday and possible dyno on saturday.

rip04ow

Established Member
New Rear brakes installed... EBC rotors and hawk pads

IMG_3050_zpswb0yvboy.jpg

Picked up straight E85.. Expensive to say the least lol

IMG_3059_zpsszkgfqzn.jpg

Mounted the Fore vacuum block to the back of the engine bay and switched to air brake hose to clean it up. Turned out very well.

IMG_3061_zpsisyc38pk.jpg

IMG_3064_zps8qsjog2v.jpg

IMG_3074_zpshallzxux.jpg

IMG_3073_zpswlswaujy.jpg

Tomorrow the coil bracket will be finished and plug wires made. Maybe 30 minutes worth of last minute wiring. Should be running tomorrow.

rip04ow

Established Member
Didn't get much done today. My buddy brought his car into the shop also so it can be tuned and we spent a good amount of time cleaning. Anyways Im hoping we can have the car running Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest. Heres the coils and bracket. Still not finished yet but close.

IMG_3082_zpsptwncp5s.jpg

Big stuff 3 location... Not fully mounted yet but the wiring is done.
IMG_3084_zpsbuymtl0p.jpg

rip04ow

Established Member
Well its alive and well... Its currently in the dyno bay and will be strapped down tomorrow and over the next couple of days it will be getting tuned. Hopefully it stays dry and we can do some street tuning as well..

Big stuff 3 mounted

IMG_3114_zps4yltnv2g.jpg

IMG_3115_zps7uzrhdvv.jpg

My new carbon driven cowl panel

IMG_3136_zpsjv2odkew.jpg

IMG_3139_zpst8fxoohb.jpg

IMG_3124_zpsvklxab8r.jpg

My buddy Doug also brought his car in to be retuned. F1 cogged procharger

IMG_3147_zpsnzuyneja.jpg

IMG_3150_zpsq8kvbrld.jpg

IMG_3153_zps2r78katw.jpg

IMG_3155_zpslvvkv0gh.jpg