Whipple Supercharger Facts. From Mr. Whipple. sorry- LONG

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
Re: Re: Is Works marketed by Whipple?

Originally posted by CobraBob
I thought Mr. Whipple's comments were pretty clear regarding his relationship with the Works. His company provides the supercharger to the Works and they use their own parts.

Someone was paying attention in class:beer:

jasil

Established Member
I agree with some that the Whipple will not beat the KB...it's a 2.3l pos. dis. blower the results should be the same.:)

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Do I go for the Apten upgrade or wait for the Whipple?
The apten is not really meant to go up against the KB/whipple. Thats why its so great the apten is only $500-600. Do the apten now while you wait for something else.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

redghost

Established Member
I will wait for the Whipple and save the money I would have spent on the Apten or the pulley-chip and set up my suspension.

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
So, at 13psi the whipple is making 78HP over the eaton at the same boost levels? If this is so, how much HP does a KB make over an eaton at 13psi?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by KevinJKD
The apten is not really meant to go up against the KB/whipple. Thats why its so great the apten is only $500-600. Do the apten now while you wait for something else.:thumbsup:
Or be satisfied with the Apten. If really a matter of what power level you're looking for. If you're wanting to stay at 500 or below to keep your drivetrain costs down (remember the higher you go the more apt you will spend a lot of money on drivetrain mods to handle the power) then the Apten with a 2.80/2.90/2.93 pulley and chip/Predator are just the ticket. If you're going to be doing a fair amount of racing and want 550+ rwhp then the Whipple or KB is your ticket. I'm going to be very content with the Apten. It is the one additional mod I need to get me very close to my goal of 500 rwhp without going to a 2.75 pulley and more radical tune.
:beer:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
That is a very good point Bob. You don't have to run the KB if you want more than 450rwhp. 470-500rwhp is plenty for some people.

I just need 600+! I can't wait until the warranty is up so I can have an excuse to go mod crazy.

mike69440

Established Member
Works Still Born?

With the Low $$ Apton Choice, and the known quantity of a KB, and now Whipple supposedly entering the 03 Cobra aftermarket, what has Works-Power got to offer, other than going against KB for the Mega boost crowd that Whipple says they are not interesting in supporting?

I hope Whipple can keep their scheduled product introduction date to a month or so of January. However if you have followed Whipple's web page on what's new, their new products have been posted there on average about a year.

Sad to say, I think the Works Blower for the Cobra is still-born. I would not mind being proved wrong.

Mike69440

I doubt the Works will come out and I am sure the Whipple will be fine for those wanting a lot of boost. They just said they weren't going for that outta the box. The Whipple and the Works are the same charger. More than likely it will be the Works as they have the Whipple listed for the Lightning as a Works. I bet Works does the intake casting and the adapter plate.

j card

Established Member
The wa y I read it, Whipple is going for up to 15 psi - using the stock tune, where KB is going for more boost, but offering a program to address the higher boost levels, and the tuning requirements that need to be addressed. That said, the Whipple should be capable of just as much power as the KB, but is up to the customer to do a custom tune once you decide to go past 15psi - unless they get a demand from customers to supply it. I think that you're probably better off with a custom tune for your specific car at that power level anyway, so Whipple is probably playing it smart in letting the customer take the responsibility in that area - at least for the time being. Dustin Whipple is a friend of mine, so I'll have to ask him if I get a chance.

hwystr

Established Member
If it looks as "stock" as the picture on the whipple website it will be a great sleeper look - damn near looks just like the eaton. The KB just looks to much like an add-on..

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
That is a very good point Bob. You don't have to run the KB if you want more than 450rwhp. 470-500rwhp is plenty for some people.

I just need 600+! I can't wait until the warranty is up
so I can have an excuse to go mod crazy.

"Sorry officer, their just ain't no such thing as too much fun!" I'm getting a refund on my extend warranty.....Kenne Bell is waiting for the check!

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Originally posted by esqeddy
Good request.

Also, Mr. Whipple (and Santa) please make it less expensive than the KB, better looking, and make sure I get LOTTTTTSSSSS of power! :lol1:

I was also wondering about the look. I think the Ford GT has a great look to it. Like with everthing pwr is great but it has to look acceptable when you laying that kind of cash down.

j card

Established Member
I'm pretty certain that the picture is of the stock blower - most likely, the Whipple blower will have a similar look to the other Whipple units that are being sold - which is kind of a cross between the stock blower and the KB - think cast ribbed case with a black textured finish.

Dale-01L

Established Member
Originally posted by workspowerontop
...I doubt the Works will come out...

Wrong. I have seen the Works kit. It exists.

And to those who asked if it will support 600+ hp. Absolutely.

I have a Works140 kit on my lightning, which uses the same blower. My truck made 620rwhp with about 17-18psi on the dyno..

Here's a pic of my 140 kit for my lightning:
w00t2.jpg

I'd post an engine shot, but my engine compartement is filthy and I dont want to embarass myself. :)

Guys, the Works Cobra kit does exist. Its an AWESOME piece of engineering and looks WAAAY closer to OEM than the KB kit..

-Dale

mike69440

Established Member
My best guess

Chris Weisberg of Works Power from what I understanding has developed some blowers with a lot of attention to detail. He also has vast turbo experience when he worked for Turbonetics.

To be a successful aftermarket solutions provider, Chris must not look at his business not as a manufacturer, but as a business that can market a needed product, and support and develop that
product.
It makes so much sense that Works power leverage the established business of Whipple to use Whipple not only as his source of cores, but also have Whipple be his sales outlet and service center.
I don't think selling primarily through tuners and distributors is the way to go. It would require too much effort to control a distributor based sales force for a small outfit like Works to handle.
I do not think the 03 Cobra market has room for more than two good aftermarket superchargers, and I doubt Works will go it alone.

Time will tell how good is my crystal ball.

P.S The 2.3 L Lysholm rotor pack is a nice match, just like the 2.2 L autorotor (KB) is. It makes no sense to use a 3.3 L supercharger on any street driven Modular Motor. 3.3 L is ok for a +6 L motor.

Originally posted by Dale-01L
Wrong. I have seen the Works kit. It exists.

And to those who asked if it will support 600+ hp. Absolutely.

I have a Works140 kit on my lightning, which uses the same blower. My truck made 620rwhp with about 17-18psi on the dyno..

Here's a pic of my 140 kit for my lightning:
w00t2.jpg

I'd post an engine shot, but my engine compartement is filthy and I dont want to embarass myself. :)

Guys, the Works Cobra kit does exist. Its an AWESOME piece of engineering and looks WAAAY closer to OEM than the KB kit..

-Dale

Spy photos?

Evil SS

Established Member
The whipple is a little larger than the KB.

What blower takes more HP to spin. KB or Whipple?

What are the MAx RPM's of each Blower? (KB or whip.)

What blower has better rotor design? (kb or Whip.)

What Elbo flows better?

Users who are viewing this thread