Whipple Supercharger Facts. From Mr. Whipple. sorry- LONG

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
All-
Just wanted to share this info that I rec'd back from Whipple. The link he is referring to is the news link thread that Esqeddy started this week here.

Again-
I was asked to fwd the info so don't shoot the messenger if you see something you don't like. I have replied with several questions and will post answers as I get them with permission.

Here goes:

Roger,

Thanks for the link. Seems there are some serious miss conceptions out there, although it's very nice to see that some are very interested in our products. The website was intended to stir interest in what were doing so there will be a demand when it's close to being ready. Some of our sales staff haven't been updated on all the latest and not all know exactly what were working on. The website just came up a few days ago. If you would like to, forward some of this info:

1. The 2.3L compressor has been tested at various boost levels on the 4.6L Cobra and obviously, it does work or we would not build it. It works very well and beats the factory roots-type Eaton in all areas.
2. Whipple was never partners with Kenne Bell, we supplied them superchargers as we are the North American Distributors. At that time, we supplied them Opcon Autorotor compressors which we left and relinquished our North American rights to utilize the Lysholm compressors.
3. Works Power is not owned by Whipple, they purchase superchargers from us and built their own parts. Obviously, we offer all the support we can to customers that utilize our product.
4. Opcon has not purchased Lysholm!!
5. Opcon is a publicly traded company named Opcon AB. Opcon Autorotor is a sister company.
6. Opcon AB has signed a "letter of intent" to purchase/merge with SRM (SRM owns Lysholm).
7. I've attached the press release, pay careful attention to the second paragraph and who becomes significant owners. Nothing is final to date.
8. The Ford GT has a custom casing designed strictly for that package, the rotor assembly is the same as what we use and offer to our customers.
9. A Cobra kit featuring the Whipple Supercharger will be available in January. It will utilize a casted casing, similar to the Eaton with the cross ribs.
10. Whipple supplies Saleen superchargers for the 4.6L Mustang kits which are available to all.

Let me know if you have any questions,
Thanks,
D. Whipple
Whipple Superchargers

Pressrelease 11/3/2003 12:37

Opcon acquires two companies

The Board of Directors of Opcon AB have decided to acquire two Swedish companies, Svenska Rotor Maskiner AB (SRM) and Lysholm Technologies AB (LT). All the parties have signed a declaration of intent.

The acquisition is expected to be completed before the end of November. The deal will see the sellers become significant owners in Opcon AB, which is listed on Stockholmsbörsen.

SRM has invented, developed and licensed screw compressors and now has over 70 active patents and 35 licence holders for various industrial applications. SRM had sales turnover of SEK 46 million in 2002 and made an operating profit of SEK 2.4 million. Similar sales turnover figures are forecast for 2003 and the operating profit is expected to improve. Opcon’s strategic aim with the purchase is, among other things, to safeguard intellectual property rights and globally advanced competence for the continued development and manufacturing of air systems for fuel cells. The acquisition gives Opcon access to SRM’s many years of experience in the compressor sector. SRM is currently active in the development of air systems for fuel cells.

Opcon’s customers in the fuel cell sector are currently reorganising their purchasing structures ahead of series manufacturing. Opcon’s continuing involvement in the fuel cell sector depends on being able to offer customers a complete air system comprising frequency converter, electric motor, compressor and, at a later stage, an expander and heat exchanger. Opcon has developed, or is in the process of developing, all the products necessary for a complete air system except for a frequency converter. However, a licence option for a frequency converter has been signed with the Swedish company, NFO Drives AB, with whom Opcon co-operates.

Lysholm Technologies AB (LT) is a sister company to SRM. LT had sales turnover in 2002 of SEK 20.7 million and an operating profit of SEK 2.5 million. The company forecasts that it will double sales turnover in 2003 and increase its operating profit.
LT competes with the Opcon subsidiary, Opcon Autorotor, primarily on the US aftersales market for compressors used in combustion engines. The acquisition will give Opcon considerable synergies in marketing and manufacturing. Future rationalisation of the product ranges of the various companies will also generate cost savings.
LT has a licence agreement with a major US systems supplier to the auto industry which will lead to series deliveries of compressors to the Ford Group and other companies from the final quarter of 2003 and onwards.
This will give the company the opportunity to further rationalise manufacturing and purchasing. An acquisition of LT will also provide an opportunity to benefit from synergies between another Opcon subsidiary, Laminova, and LT in the field of intercoolers for the auto and fuel cell sectors.

Both SRM and LT are based in Nacka outside Stockholm

sanssvt

Established Member
Nice to see the top brass of a company step up and listen to the consumers.

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Wonderful. No, I take that back. How about FANTASTIC!!! The part I particulary like was the statement, straight from the horses mouth, that the kit will be available next month.

I spoke with Jim Bell this week. What a personality. Knowledgeable, engaging, and very helpful. I am confident, and I believe the product's track record backs me up in saying, the KB is a fantastic kit. Whipple has some big shoes to fill when they step into this market. I'm sure they know that. I'm also sure they aren't going to slap out some thrown together product either.

It will be interesting to see, and good for all us consumers, just how good their product is.

Thanks for the great post!

Eddy

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
Can the whipple produce the same high boost levels like the KB? And, how will they compare on equal boost levels? For instance, will the whipple make the same HP as a KB if theyre both running at 13psi?

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Originally posted by notdisturbed
Can the whipple produce the same high boost levels like the KB? And, how will they compare on equal boost levels? For instance, will the whipple make the same HP as a KB if theyre both running at 13psi?

The whipple super chargers are screw type blowers just like the KB are. Whipple has some of the finest superchargers on the market. I am expecting to see the same or slightly better performance.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Awsome post Wilson & co! That is great news. But I have the same question as notdisturbed. All I need to know is can the whipplecharger make 600+rwhp at 17psi?

Surfnerv89

Fast?... Kinda
Established Member
I can't wait till it comes out. It's nice to see more of a heavy aftermarket for the '03. I hope it makes some serious numbers.

mike69440

Established Member
Is Works marketed by Whipple?

Like everyone else I don't know much about the Wipple or is it the Works Blower?

I understand the Works Blower uses a Wipple 2.3 Case. This is the same as the Eaton/Lysholm screw.
As Chris Weisberg at Works seems like a one man show, I wonder why he has not teamed up with Whipple.
He is missing out being a late comer trying to go it alone or just does not see the 03 Cobra as a worthwhile market.

I just wonder how good a business decision this is?

Maybe Whipple is just marketing the Works Power Blower.

Chris Weisberg is welcome to chip in.

Mike69440

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Re: Is Works marketed by Whipple?

Originally posted by mike69440

Like everyone else I don't know much about the Wipple or is it the Works Blower?

I understand the Works Blower uses a Wipple 2.3 Case. This is the same as the Eaton/Lysholm screw.
As Chris Weisberg at Works seems like a one man show, I wonder why he has not teamed up with Whipple.
He is missing out being a late comer trying to go it alone or just does not see the 03 Cobra as a worthwhile market.

I just wonder how good a business decision this is?

Maybe Whipple is just marketing the Works Power Blower.

Chris Weisberg is welcome to chip in.

Mike69440
I thought Mr. Whipple's comments were pretty clear regarding his relationship with the Works. His company provides the supercharger to the Works and they use their own parts.

hmwave

Established Member
Originally posted by NukeX
I wonder wut it will sound like, the hell with performance :-D

From what I hear (no pun intended) the twin screw Whipple chargers are much quieter than the Eaton so you may not hear it at all.

hj16

Established Member
Originally posted by NukeX
I wonder wut it will sound like, the hell with performance :-D
Go find a new Saleen S281-SC or S281-E and take a listen. Those are Whipple Twin Screws now.

doubleblack

Established Member
Dear Mr. Whipple,

In addition to good numbers, could you also keep our engine bays clean by not having a stupid oil spray problem...

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Originally posted by doubleblack
Dear Mr. Whipple,

In addition to good numbers, could you also keep our engine bays clean by not having a stupid oil spray problem...

Good request.

Also, Mr. Whipple (and Santa) please make it less expensive than the KB, better looking, and make sure I get LOTTTTTSSSSS of power! :lol1:

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
OK guys-
Here is a response from a few more questions I asked him last night...

The SC is geared towards a drop in install/pump gas, out of the box. You have to remember- Whipple is kind of like eaton in that they do a lot for the OEM market UNLIKE KB. Kevin- He says he has preliminary data on HP, but cannot release until product announcement. My feeling is that it will be a close 2nd to kb, but who knows.

I was also interested in the blowoff valve and IAC notes..Enough of me here it is:

Roger,

We have preliminary data, but it can't be released until production pieces are done, as changes were made from the hand formed pieces vs. the casted models. It will have similar appearance to whats out there, but I assure you it will be better looking and better flowing. It has a built in bypass valve so it's not all cut off like the other system. The IAC problems that some may have run into have been addressed, it's internal flow pattern is superior meaning the SC will get it's airflow much easier. Performance will be better although the level differs at each boost psi so I can't give exact numbers. It certainly becomes more apparent at the higher boost levels.

Were still somewhat evaluating the fuel system, but I don't think we'll be offering a package that is "tuned" for the really high boost levels. Are main goal is to build a reliable power source with pump gas, emissions friendly. That is still somewhat up in the air, but because of the variances from car to car as well as the large tuning communnity, we feel that others may want to do their own thing. Initial testing was +78hp at @ approx. 13psi at peak rpm, because of the cooler temps, you can get away with almost 15psi (initial testing only) with the stock cal and pump gas which produced even more. This is of course preliminary, but I don't see the power levels falling any way, the production units are going to be very nice in appearance and flow for all power levels.

So to answer your question, I do not anticipate any additional fuel injectors or PCM tune. If there becomes a demand for it, we will address it but as of now, the main dealers have all expressed interest in tuning themselves. Kits consist of an axial entry SC, rear inlet, SC pulley, intercooler adapter plate with built in bypass and the misc. hardware. It will certainly be cost competitive but were not looking to get into a pricing war.

Thanks-
D. Whipple
Whipple Superchargers

Users who are viewing this thread