Whipple or Kenne Bell?

What twin screw supercharger manufacturer is better?

• Kenne Bell

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Whipple

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • PIIHB

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Hi, just looking for some feedback from the community as a whole. We all know both brands can produce big power. What I want to know is more about the overall product: are they reliable, does either brand have any quirks that pop up, does one brand have more consistent quality than the other?

Also, how are these companies at customer service? Do they respond to customer issues? Do they want to satisfy the people that buy their products or are they too bad so sad?

Opinions and info welcome!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Uh oh. You done done it now, OP!

Well, Whipple doesn't need to offer a liquid cooled version just to keep the rotor gears cool. I think it's accepted that KBs make way more heat than Whipples. I've heard throughout many years that Whipple has terrible customer service. Then there's that video that was posted a few days ago of Kenne Bell (or his son?) calling a 3V with a fully built bottom end "basically stock". So...

In truth, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. When you break it down to the brass tacks, I think people choose based on which one they think looks or sounds better.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Kenne Bell makes more heat and they are hit or miss on customer service. I have a KB on my 93 Cobra and needed parts and a snout rebuild. They were hard to get ahold of, but very helpful once you do.
I had a Whipple for my 03 Cobra and a KB, but I didn't install either one and bought a TVS. Honestly I think I would have been fine with either one, but peer pressure made me choose the TVS.
I don't thrash my cars so I wouldn't worry too much about the heat from a KB, but if you drive yours like you stole it all the time then my vote would be Whipple.

FJohnny

Established Member
I have no experience with KB.

My dealings with Whipple, although not extensive, have been very positive. I installed the FRPP supercharger 624 hp kit based on the Whipple 2.3 a few years ago onto my mustang. Loved it. Decided I needed (not wanted) a bit more power. I called Whipple and discussed how to go about this. They explained that a smaller pulley would work with no other changes at my altitude just fine. No upsell for other items.

I ordered a pulley a couple of sizes smaller. Put it on and it was not perfectly aligned. Turns out Ford gave a slight different offset for their pulley that didn't match the standard. I called Whipple and the chap I spoke with knew right away what my issue was. Then, to my stunned amazement, he asked for my address and shipped a machined shim out right away for no charge. I would have gladly paid as it is a separate part but he told me not to worry as we would have to go through paperwork, possible customs and duties, etc and he wanted me up and running asap.

The blower has run perfectly for three years of daily driving and I couldn't be happier. I'm still amazed at how well they treated me when they had me over a barrel. Very impressive customer service/relations.

Well done, Whipple!

PS....My last name is not Whipple nor am I an employee, relative, friend or paid shill of Whipple.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Never had issues with Kenne Bell's customer service. They even sent me out a bunch of new stickers for the blower, for free, when I told them the lettering had worn away.

Twisted2v

Established Member
Whipple. I've never had either, but I always see more Kenne Bells that require rebuilds. Same reason I'd go Procharger over Vortech.

Nothing fun about downtime, and paying out of pocket for rebuilds.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
All the replys have been great. I definitely am not out to bad mouth a particular brand, but like HudsonFalcon mentioned, if Im going to chunk out big bucks for a blower, I want to know that investment is going to be as problem free as possible.

I think the TVS 2650 is a monster rotor pack. Eaton always makes high quality products. Just not satisfied with the blower offerings that are specific for my car that use it.

So far it seems the consensus is in Whipple's favor.

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
I have a 2.8LC KB and live in southern Louisiana (it is very hot here). I have had no issues with heat, the car runs perfectly, and KB's customer service has been very good so far. As far as driveability...nobody in the car with me or in the next lane knows I have an aftermarket blower until they hear it under full throttle, and then they shit their pants. I don't find that the blower gets exceptionally hot, and my datalogs show normal IAT2s. The car runs like a raped ape, and I'm nowhere near maxing the blower out. I like my KB; it is a quality part.

That said, I do not like some of the marketing language, attitude, and opinions that KB likes to push. They seem very arrogant sometimes.

Since I have no personal experience with Whipple, I won't spew an uninformed opinion. Based on a lot of research, I would side with the majority of people that are reasonably knowledgeable and opine that it's hard to go wrong with either, as long as you do a decent job on the install and have a well-sorted out tune.

Wingrider

Established Member
Had the the Ford Racing/Whipple 2.9 kit installed on my 2011. Worked perfectly and not a single issue with 3 days back to back of track days and drag racing at Sonoma Raceway during the Shelby Nats a couple weeks ago. Also ran cooler than the stock blower with a tuned 2.4 pulley set up I had before. Zero heat issues in almost 90d temps. Totally satisfied with the purchase.

LuuisHernandez

Established Member
Kenne Bell’s office is not big. They don’t have 50 people working at any time and only have a couple people there so customer service may be lacking for that reason but I have a kenne bell and I love it. If I were to consider another brand, it’d be a whipple. Kenne bells aren’t seen as often so I love when people gather around mine rather than see another whipple on another’s car.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I would go Whipple or VMP TVS.

FWIW Between my dad and I we probably had 5-6 KB blowers. All have leaked. My brand new 2.6L KB started leaking within 600 miles on the Lightning. It was filled per spec per the boost level/pulley ratio.
They repaired it, and it's leaking again. This time it's my brothers issue.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
KB is absolutely a nostalgic brand for me. I can remember the days when they were the biggest game in town next to vortech, and if you had a KB you were ballin.

Then Whipple came out and killed the game.

Then VMP came out, and killed that game again.

So if I had to vote, I'd go Whipple since they are still innovating for the average guy. A bit more structured/larger, better longevity and better supply chain for parts when you consider their partnership with Ford and other OE's.

However, I hear so many good things about VMP, it's hard not to make that consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread