Whipple 3.4L W210ax Kit for the 03-04 Cobra!!

YellowCobra28

Established Member
How much HP/TQ?

black03 said:
Sounds more like you're trying to convince yourself that you made the right decision.. :-D

Read below. The 3.4L Kit is a High Pressure Ratio blower!! :beer:

I have a 2.93 upper and a 4 lower pulley on my Eaton 04 Cobra. If I get this 3.4L whipple, what rwhp and TQ can I expect to make approx??

Nazman

Established Member
How will this blower will work on a daily driver?

I'm about to build my motor again, with a 9.0:1CR and prepping to do a T76, with a Sullivan intake and some diferent sticks.

How will it work on a DD?

It will be lots cheaper to me to go with this set-up vs. the T76 but will it be worth it?

What will be the MAX HP this blower will support with a combo like this:

Fully Forged Big Bore (o/a 306CI) 9.0:1 CR
Ported Heads, Bronce Guides, Oversized Valves & Crower Springs
Sullivan Intake w/Front Mount Adp/TB (Stock 03-04 with Whipple)
Cams: Xtreme XE-R Ford 4.6L 4-V XE270BH-114 Cam (269/267 Advertized, 234/232 @.050, .475/.450 Lift, 114 Lobe Sep)
ModComponents Adjustable Valve Train
Hellion T76 or T88 w/Ball Bearing Up-Grade vs. Whipple 3.4

The motor sports all the supporting mods:
KB BAS
Electric Water Pump
ATI Super Dampenner
AL FW
Clutch Masters 450 C/PP
PMP "750" TR3650 Tranny
Fully Build Rear
Etc.

Fuel System will be:

SCT BA2800
SD60LBS Injectors
FGT Dual Pumps
40Amp KB BAP
FPDM Up-Grade
Wiring Up-Grade
Lines and what not.

black03 said:
Sounds more like you're trying to convince yourself that you made the right decision.. :-D

That does HPR Blower means?

Thanks!

Naz

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
YellowCobra28 said:
I have a 2.93 upper and a 4 lower pulley on my Eaton 04 Cobra. If I get this 3.4L whipple, what rwhp and TQ can I expect to make approx??

You're going to have to be a little more specific to get a solid answer and still after that it's all up in the air as the kit isn't even out yet. The HP and TQ levels are all determined on what type of boost you're going to run. I would say with 20lbs of boost you'll make around the 640-660 or so rwhp level pretty efficiently. Keep in mind this blower can be run all day long at 30lbs and has a peak boost level of 35lbs... I guess we'll just have to see when it comes out what it will do.
Those numbers above are also just an estimate. Hope that helps. Jared

03chromecobra

Jason Daily
Established Member
God I want this but I don't want to rebuild the motor! Should I even consider the 3.4 without a built motor? I know I can run low boost but would it be better to have a smaller twin screw?

YellowCobra28

Established Member
I think it may be possible to run the 3.4L whipple without rebuilding the motor. I was told that the motor can handle the power. You would have to do the supporting mods for fuel and things like that. Not 100% sure though. Anybody know for sure chime in, thanks.

03chromecobra

Jason Daily
Established Member
I know what I need but I wonder if it would be so big that it would actually be less efficient than the 140ax. I'm thinking about 17-19lbs of boost right now but, don't want to be limited in the future.

Last edited:

YellowCobra28

Established Member
Your initial question was this!!!!

03chromecobra said:
God I want this but I don't want to rebuild the motor! Should I even consider the 3.4 without a built motor? I know I can run low boost but would it be better to have a smaller twin screw?

Let someone that knows for sure answer your questions. Maybe you don't have to rebuild your motor, which is what I told you in the previous post. If you don't need to rebuild your motor, then it would NOT be better to have a smaller twin screw. You catch my drift? I was told by an insider at Ford, that the 03 04 Cobra motor can handle 800- 900 HP stock. But that to me sounds very high. But I'm sure there are others that have solid answers. Any day now, we should get the answer that we are looking for. I want to buy this whipple too, so I am curious to know as well. Maybe a direct call to WHIPPLE might answer your question. I am waiting to get someone else's opinions about it.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We have seen over the last few years plenty of twin screw cobras make over 700rwhp on the stock block. I think 800-900 is pushing it way past the limits of the stock pistons and rings. Thats why most guys making over the 700rwhp range have done some engine work such as pistons to make it handle the power and higher boost.

If you run the 3.4L you do not need to rebuild the motor. Because you can run the 3.4L at a boost level thats still within the limits of what the stock block can handle. If you plan on making anything over the high 600-700 range then I would recommend getting a shortblock. Yes, the stock block may handle 700+ but thats like saying you can drop a glass bottle and it will never break because it may and at anytime.

I mean there are guys with ported eatons who make a lit less hp than 700 that had engine failure and there are guys that make 700+ without any issues. There's several things involved. How was the motor built from the factory, how aggressive of a tune do you have, how much boost are you going to run, what type of fuel are you using...ect.ect.

So,
My personal opinion is you can run this blower or any other blower made for the 03-04 Cobra on a stock block within limits.

Hope that answers some of your questions or concerns. Thanks, Jared

YellowCobra28 said:
Your initial question was this!!!!

Let someone that knows for sure answer your questions. Maybe you don't have to rebuild your motor, which is what I told you in the previous post. If you don't need to rebuild your motor, then it would NOT be better to have a smaller twin screw. You catch my drift? I was told by an insider at Ford, that the 03 04 Cobra motor can handle 800- 900 HP stock. But that to me sounds very high. But I'm sure there are others that have solid answers. Any day now, we should get the answer that we are looking for. I want to buy this whipple too, so I am curious to know as well. Maybe a direct call to WHIPPLE might answer your question. I am waiting to get someone else's opinions about it.

Last edited:

spincobra03

Established Member
I agree with mark. You have to understand the power we make is all tied to the level of boost we run at. You can run a 3.4 or a 140x both at 18 psi and make alot of power. The 3.4 just allows you to run even higher boost levels. I have a DD and dont want to take to many chances with my car, so I wont run over 17lbs of boost on a 140x which with a proper tune can achieve 600 to 620 rwhp(with supporting mods of course) Some guys want more and want different things out of the car, so before you choose the size blower you have to ask what do you want out of it.

spincobra03

Established Member
lol this kid mark was standing next to me when writting the post but I meant to say jared.... lol sorry jared!

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
spincobra03 said:
lol this kid mark was standing next to me when writting the post but I meant to say jared.... lol sorry jared!

LOL... I was looking for Marks post!! :bash: :bash:

:beer:

Mach3

Banned
black03 said:

I went from a whipple 140ax which was a great blower to a 2.8h kb which makes alot more power. In no way am I bashing whipple they make awesome superchargers that are reliable and well built. I think I like trying out mods that make my car go faster almost as much as I like to drive it, with that said my wife would kill me if I bought this new whip after only havin the 2.8 on for only a month. Plus I wanna see how this new whip performs. I have confidence this 3.4 monster will outperform the 2.8 because the name of the game in positive displacement blowers is displacement itself the more air they move per rpm the more power potential they have.

Quik Z06

Established Member
What size pulley would require you to modify the hood and what would need to be done? Also besides the upgraded fuel rails would anything else be needed for fuel. I already have a BAP and 60lb injectors.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Quik Z06 said:
What size pulley would require you to modify the hood and what would need to be done? Also besides the upgraded fuel rails would anything else be needed for fuel. I already have a BAP and 60lb injectors.

The 4.0" will need the underside of the hood to be notched just above the pulley to keep the edge of the pulley from hitting the hood. As far as fuel upgrades depending on how hard you plan on running the blower I would say anything over 17/18lbs it would be a good idea to change out your pumps for the Ford GT ones and run a modified FPDM.. That should be good to the 700rwhp level. After that we have other options for you. Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with. Thanks, Jared

Quik Z06

Established Member
What boost level is a 4" pulley? I have a 4# lower as well, id like to keep it between 17-20 psi. Id prefer to not have to modify my hood which is why I ask. Thanks

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Quik Z06 said:
What boost level is a 4" pulley? I have a 4# lower as well, id like to keep it between 17-20 psi. Id prefer to not have to modify my hood which is why I ask. Thanks

The 4.00" upper I believe is about 20-21lbs. The 3.75" is around 23-24lbs..

Hope that helps. Jared

Users who are viewing this thread