While the blower is off?

New Edge

Screaming 2.2!
Established Member
This thread has kind of evolved since i started it so if a mod wants they can change the title to like "kenne bell 2.2 install and more"

Original post.
What do you guys wish you had done while the blower was off for a port and/or ts swap?

So far I am powder coating my valve covers and the inlet for the 2.2.

Doing the gen two head cooling mod.

I have some cheap ideas for the coil covers and some of the caps (oil, i/c, and rad).
EGR delete.

I'll hopefully be getting the lethal reservoir package in black, though it may be a month or so, that will make a huge difference.

What else would you guys do?
The ultimate plan for the setup is e85 hopefully I'll be there come spring.

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
Painting is good.

Getting it from Lethal is the best way. I would change injectors as well and anything else that is easier to get to while the blower is off.

Post pics once its all together.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You might consider powder coating the covers instead of painting them. Either way, now is a good time to paint/powder coat them. Let us see the finished engine bay when the blower is re-installed. :)

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I would send the injectors off and have them blueprinted and flow matched. I plan on doing this myself in the near future when my blower is off. RC Fuel Injection

Egr delete?

4vmn12

Perpetual project creator
Established Member
EGR delete, LDC type cooling mod, clean all the oil out of your intercooler fins (I'm about to do this myself, I will soak it in super clean degreaser, then thoroughly rinse with water (or water simple green mix), then final flush with about 4-5 cans of non-chlorinated brake clean); Don't forget to address the source: oil in the intake, and do something with the PCV system.

Depending on what blower you have it is a good time to implement a ported inlet and large TB (or similar larger inlet for a TS);

New Edge

Screaming 2.2!
Established Member
Just dropped off the inlet and the valve covers to be powder coated. I plan on addressing the PVC system. Probably going to go with breathers. I'll make sure to make a thread following my progress.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Getting my covers powdered is one thing I wish I would have done as well... Just make sure you clean your intercooler ,inspect you gaskets and replace if necessary. Mine were garbage. I inspected/cleaned everything possible while mine was off

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
You might consider powder coating the covers instead of painting them. Either way, now is a good time to paint/powder coat them. Let us see the finished engine bay when the blower is re-installed. :)

i was going to post about powder coating but i see bob beat me to it. the powder coat is way better and more durable.

New Edge

Screaming 2.2!
Established Member
^ for real. If I had the money I would. Having the whole damn center of the motor off makes it so tempting.

New Edge

Screaming 2.2!
Established Member
A little update on my progress.

Blower after a little cleanup the day I got it.
a993c015-3c59-2429.jpg

Inlet off, a little pic for those who haven't seen a twin screw!
a993c015-3c83-9397.jpg

the throttle bracket on the stock throttle cables doesn't work with the 2.2. Learned this when I realized I was missing the bracket that bolts into this bracket on the left. For those of you buying used (all 2.2s lol) make sure you ask the seller to send the throttle bracket off their cable, mine is on the way from my seller.
a993c015-3cc3-4f55.jpg

Pic of the blower removal part way, looks kinda clean without the intake on the side!
a993c015-3d39-6631.jpg

Two day turnaround on the valve covers and inlet! Color is pumpkin orange. It's a tad more fluorescent than comp orange but you can hardly tell.
a993c015-3d71-a189.jpg

Black powder coated inlet. Had them leave the brushed strip that meets the case alone to keep the same theme in back as front.
a993c015-3dd3-3b7e.jpg

Inlet installed! Looks pretty sick!
a993c015-3df5-ce67.jpg

some pics midway
Before
a993c015-3e57-8dda.jpg

After
Passenger vc installed
a993c015-3e7e-164e.jpg

Also sprayed an extra set of fuel rails with a gloss black (I hate chrome).
a993c015-3f0a-c0b2.jpg

Should hide them well in the bay. Tonight I'm gonna block off the lower pcv hose in the lower intake. Get that put back. Hopefully manage to get the intercooler on the kb, and drop the whole thing in! So far I have done the even flow mod aside from splicing the radiator hose (waiting to get blower on to route the hose best possible way) as well as the egr delete (still need to get the egr tube off the header) I plan on pulling the wiring harness down a little more in the back and possibly wrapping it in something a little more attractive than electrical tape. Still have that and running new vacuum lines for my egr delete. Obviously have the b**** driver side valve cover to take care of. Not looking forward to that one. Anyways. Thanks for looking and any suggestions are welcome!

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Man lookin good! I'm going to have to step it up with my 2.2 next time I take I off! Please post a pic of he proper throttle cable bracket. I'm not sure what mine has but it looks like its been modified and I'm wondering it has something to do with my idle issue....

New Edge

Screaming 2.2!
Established Member
Man let me tell you that drivers side valve cover is a complete bear. Now that I've done it once though it probably wouldn't take me but a half hour the second time around. It's figuring out how to get at bolts and how to remove the brake booster that's tough. Unfortunately the first time around it took me all evening and I finally got the damn thing on and realized that I forgot to transfer the rubber seals between the vc and the spark plug holes from the old valve cover to the new one. Hopefully tonight I'll be able to just pull up on the valve cover and have enough room to squeeze them seals on!
a993c015-7c1f-81d8.jpg

a993c015-7c38-71db.jpg

Tonight I'm planning to fix my mistake and hopefully get the blower assembly together (lower intake, ic, case) and drop it in.

TRBO VNM

Don't put the blower back in until you get that egr tube removed. There is no room to remove it with everything up there. So far looking good and really liked the inlet powder coat setup you did. looks sharp

Users who are viewing this thread