Which turbo kit to go for?

exdeath

Established Member
Thats why there is no replacement for displacement.

Go with a built stroker and you can make some more ponies safely with safe boost and a safe tune and not have to rely solely on boost and octane to make your power.

If you had a 302 stroker with twin turbos you could drive around town with 800 RWHP on pump gas all day long at 16-17 psi and not care too much.

21+ psi on the stock 281 on pump gas though trying to make the same power is pushing it, too much of a squeeze.

If you are serious about a pump gas monster it's going to cost you. I'm planning to go that route myself and have been doing the research. Be prepared to spend $6-10k on a shortblock in addition to the turbo kit. Get a built stroker with increased displacement (302 or 324) and go for 8.0:1 static CR (more psi boost is always preferable to static compression) and go with someone who can custom build your engine with special attention to quench band clearance. Proper quench is the secret for high boost pump gas engines for controlling detonation and allowing for more aggressive yet safe tunes on high boost on the street.

Something tight like .025" on a cold aluminum block with billet rods would make for some awesome pump gas boost for a street car. Any professional engine builders feel free to shoot me down if I'm off track here, like I said I've got a bit to learn before I get ready to splurge the cash.

I'd love to see a 1000 RWHP 93 octane street Terminator running around to shut up the 4 digit RWHP Supra guys with their 35+ psi C16 tunes. If stock blocks with safe tunes on twin turbos are making 800-850 RWHP on 93, I don't see a reason why 43 extra cubes with lower static CR, head work, more boost, 8000 RPM billet internals, and proper quench couldn't result in a 1000+ RWHP *pump gas* car. I'm willing to be the first, just waiting on cash to accumulate and doing the research in the mean time. And unlike a Supra, the car will have a useful fat power band with 324 inches of V8 to spool those twin 61s/67s and actually have a ET that makes sense with a 150+ MPH trap *snicker*

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

exdeath,

good info. I was actually planning on a 302 teksid myself...but then again, as with you I am trying to save money for it and have Al P. build it. if things work out though and I can save enough money I will probably sell my current car and jump into a gt500.

Fuerza

Established Member
Do you guys really believe it is possible to run a stroker with a turbo kit making 700hp and be able to run 93 octane??

Also what is quench band clearance??

exdeath

Established Member
AdrianG said:
Do you guys really believe it is possible to run a stroker with a turbo kit making 700hp and be able to run 93 octane??

It's the sum of the piston top to block deck height + the compressed head gasket thickness. The closer the top of the piston can get to the head at is circumference the better. The 'squishing' that occurs at the cylinder edges causes turbulence that violently squishes (hence also squish band) the air into the center of the combustion chamber and the swirling action 'quenches' or cools the combustion chamber by preventing static hot spots, hence being able to run higher compression / boost without fear of detonation.

The tighter you can get this the better, ideally you'd want .000" with the piston barely touching the head at TDC but you have to allow a little for potential carbon deposits, rod stretch, metal expansion, etc.

Turbo on a stock block can make 850 RWHP on pump gas safely, as far as the tune and detonation is concerned, soley judging by the number of stock block turbo cars we've seen now. At that point its prolonged pulls and heat soaking of the cylinders and tight piston-cylinder wall clearance that would kill the stock block over time. So figure with a stroker (more cubes) with looser piston cylinder clearance (no heat/expansion problems and rev to 8,000), and good quench (more compression/boost and less timing), then throw some fully worked over heads and a set of cams on top of it, I'd say yeah, 1000 RWHP daily driven pump gas Cobras wouldn't be far fetched. At least as far as the engine is concerned...

Just nobody has been willing to spend the cash it would take since you can already make these cars own with pocket change. As for me, I'm tired of spending money upgrading my PC every 6 months to play games that suck at max settings... only for the PC to be worth 1/20th of what I paid for it 3 months later. So I'm willing to make this my full time hobby and divert the cash flow.

Last edited:

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
exdeath,

good info. I was actually planning on a 302 teksid myself...but then again, as with you I am trying to save money for it and have Al P. build it. if things work out though and I can save enough money I will probably sell my current car and jump into a gt500.

:nono: lol

TRBO VNM

AdrianG said:

I surely am not admitting that. The 93 octane part of it. I know people have, but I am not a tuner, nor an engine builder, so I like to play it safe. I also don't like running drag radials daily on my car in order to even use that kind of power on the street. I also haven't found too many, actually no cars locally that could hang with me running about 600 on the street. I know they are out there, but I haven't run into any. I also try to stay away from street racing as much as possible because of the injury risk.

exdeath

Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
exdeath,

The GT500 is ok... I guess. *shrug*

I dunno, aside from the weight and lack of IRS, something about the GT500 just looks sedate to me. It doesn't have that wicked "I'm going to eat your lunch and rape your family" stance that the front end of a Terminator has when you see it creeping up your rear view. The first time I saw a GT500 in my mirror was like "oh hey, its one of those" not the raw chills I got when I saw a Terminator ride up my rear view the first time. That lowered negative camber wide nasty stance just screamed "DO NOT WANT!!!"

A John Coletti car is more than just a name plate sticker and a price hike ;)

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

exdeath said:

I dunno, aside from the weight and lack of IRS, something about the GT500 just looks sedate to me. It doesn't have that wicked "I'm going to each your lunch and rape your family" stance that the front end of a Terminator has when you see it creeping up your rear view. The first time I saw a GT500 in my mirror was like "oh hey, its one of those" not the raw chills I got when I saw a Terminator ride up my rear view the first time. That lowered negative camber wide nasty stance just screamed "DO NOT WANT!!!"

I would be buying it for more of a collector than to just go mod happy with. It may or may not become a collector, but either way I do want to get into a new mustang and can't see myself in just a regular gt. I would drive it and enjoy it, so it won't be just a garage queen, but I would watch the mileage. also, I can find them at sticker or very close, so I won't be paying the sticker shock price.

sorry, OT.

exdeath

Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
I would be buying it for more of a collector than to just go mod happy with. It may or may not become a collector, but either way I do want to get into a new mustang and can't see myself in just a regular gt. I would drive it and enjoy it, so it won't be just a garage queen, but I would watch the mileage. also, I can find them at sticker or very close, so I won't be paying the sticker shock price.

sorry, OT.

Understood. I wouldn't mind a 05+ for the newness and modernness as a daily 'beater'. I'd miss the power and want the GT500 to compare, but at the same time it would never replace the '03 as the all out beast.

BLK_03

Established Member
exdeath said:

I dunno, aside from the weight and lack of IRS, something about the GT500 just looks sedate to me. It doesn't have that wicked "I'm going to each your lunch and rape your family" stance that the front end of a Terminator has when you see it creeping up your rear view. The first time I saw a GT500 in my mirror was like "oh hey, its one of those" not the raw chills I got when I saw a Terminator ride up my rear view the first time. That lowered negative camber wide nasty stance just screamed "DO NOT WANT!!!"

I think I love you.

-Wade-

Established Member
HPP.

No ground clearance loss. Faster spool time. More power potential. Great Quality. Daily Driver friendly.

Manny made over 900 on the stock longblock and drove it everyday. Drove from Dallas to Houston, went 10.0X numerous times, then drove it home.

:)

Fuerza

Established Member
-Wade- said:
HPP.

No ground clearance loss. Faster spool time. More power potential. Great Quality. Daily Driver friendly.

Manny made over 900 on the stock longblock and drove it everyday. Drove from Dallas to Houston, went 10.0X numerous times, then drove it home.

:)

Wade, not to change directions here, or take a step backwards but. Can a stock 99/01 Intake be used with the HPP twin kit? The reason I ask is because I personally don't like the look of sheet metal intakes. If the use of the 99/01 intake is possible what are the potential losses from using one?

Users who are viewing this thread