• Total voters

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
I go the extra mile and use royal purple in everything

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
Anyone heard the issue of the number of quarts people require to get proper oil pressure vs. the amount it says in the manual?

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
Alright, just rolled over to 46,000 this evening so I went out and bought some Mobil 1 5w30 and a Motorcraft FL-820S oil filter. I checked the Haynes manual I picked up a while back, and it stated 97+ 4.6L need 6 quarts, so that's what I put it. All looks good w/ Mobil 1 for now. How many miles do you guys drive w/ Mobil 1 synthetic before changing? I've heard 5,000 miles and 3,000 miles...which is recommended? If it's 5,000 I'll just change it again at 50,000 miles and keep it consistent from there, maybe try Royal Purple. Now I need to look into getting the transmission and rear differential oil changed. I was told not to use synthetic in the differential because it is too thin. If it's 75w90 or whatever, isn't it all the same stuff? And what should I use in the transmission?

UtOhCop

Established Member
Mobil 1. I tried royal purple when it first came out but the dollar difference isn't worth it over Mobil 1.

spike_africa

Established Member
BigDaveDogg said:
Alright, just rolled over to 46,000 this evening so I went out and bought some Mobil 1 5w30 and a Motorcraft FL-820S oil filter. I checked the Haynes manual I picked up a while back, and it stated 97+ 4.6L need 6 quarts, so that's what I put it. All looks good w/ Mobil 1 for now. How many miles do you guys drive w/ Mobil 1 synthetic before changing? I've heard 5,000 miles and 3,000 miles...which is recommended? If it's 5,000 I'll just change it again at 50,000 miles and keep it consistent from there, maybe try Royal Purple. Now I need to look into getting the transmission and rear differential oil changed. I was told not to use synthetic in the differential because it is too thin. If it's 75w90 or whatever, isn't it all the same stuff? And what should I use in the transmission?

i change mine between 5 and 7k mobile one like all syn oils can go longer thats teh best part about it.

burning0921

Established Member
I've been using Amsoil for years but honestly can't say it's any better or worse than other full synthetics. Just change the oil regularly is the best advice.

Danger Dude

Established Member
A few years ago I participated in a study using just under 100 Trucks and automobiles. We tested every major Synthetic and regular oil. We also tested oil filters. After every oil change we used universally accepted testing. The results were simple. Every synthetic beat conventional oil hands down and that the difference between synthetics was so small that they were within the + or - varibles. We also found every major brand oil filters met or exceeded manufactures claims.

The truth is you get past the hype by manufactures claims and you cant go wrong with any major synthetic oil or filter. How much you are willing to spend is up to the individual. If you change the oil or filters as reccommended by manufacturers you cant go wrong.

Also dont believe any claims of oil additives when using Synthetic oil. To use it in synthetic is a complete waste of money.

Last edited:

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
Danger Dude said:
A few years ago I participated in a study using just under 100 Trucks and automobiles. We tested every major Synthetic and regular oil. We also tested oil filters. After every oil change we used universally accepted testing. The results were simple. Every synthetic beat conventional oil hands down and that the difference between synthetics was so small that they were within the + or - varibles. We also found every major brand oil filters met or exceeded manufactures claims.

The truth is you get past the hype by manufactures claims and you cant go wrong with any major synthetic oil or filter. How much you are willing to spend is up to the individual. If you change the oil or filters as reccommended by manufacturers you cant go wrong.

Also dont believe any claims of oil additives when using Synthetic oil. To use it in synthetic is a complete waste of money.

Interesting. What intervals do you change your synthetic in?

Danger Dude

Established Member
About every 7000 miles or after a hard day at the track I will go ahead and change it so I can take a sample of it. Oil analysis is one of the quickest ways to find out if you have bearing problem or head gasket problem before it you have catastrophic failure.

spyne

Established Member
Mobil1 and either a Motorcraft or Purolator filter every 5000 miles. It's probably overkill, but better safe than sorry.

SteveChris

Established Member
i used to use mobil1 sunthetic with the best filter they had, now im using pennzoil regular and a puralator filter (whichever is the best they have)
with the synthetic the car was spitting out a big puff of smoke on some startups, ford doesnt seem to know why but with the regular oil it seems like it stopped. ive only had two changes since then but so far no puffs (hard to tell on really cold days since the vapor looks like smoke). anyone have any idea why the synthetic woudl cause that. too thin and when it sits it leaks a little through the valves???
anyway i change it every 3000 or less 6qts, or ill throw a quart in at around 2000 since the 4v eats so damn much.

Users who are viewing this thread