• Royal Purple

Votes: 30 14.5%
  • Other

Votes: 28 13.5%

• Total voters

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
Alright, I know there's a shit load of these threads on the Cobra section of the forum, but none really answer all my questions, and I don't have a Cobra. Basically I'm asking everyone's preference in synthetic lubricants. If you can add information or analysis' with your preference that would be great. Please be as detailed as possible with which vehicle you have, which viscosity you use, and also which oil filter. It'd also be great if you could mention which transmission oil w/ any additives you use and also rear differential oil.

I'll get it started by saying the current oil in my car is Motorcraft 5w20 accompanied with the Motorcraft oil filter. The oil changes were always performed at the dealership when the previous owner had it. Now I want to run synthetic for obvious reasons...

Thanks in advance for your comments. :beer:

68Stang

I got your Zoom Zoom
Established Member
Mobil 1 10w30 in the Texas summer and 5w30 in the cooler half of the year.

I don't buy into Mobils high mileage (5,000, 10,000, 15,000 mile) oils. I can't remember where, but a while back on an LS1 forum a guy put in fresh Mobil 1 and at predertermined intervals he would send a sample off for an analysis. The oil was doing good past 10,000 miles. I honestly believe that the high interval oils are to get people accustomed to changing their oil less frequently.

That being said, I run my Mobil 1 to about 5,000 miles and then change. Life usually gets in the way, so add a couple hundred to that.

lone sailor

Established Member
Mobil 1 fully synthetic 5w20 in my 302/9:0:1 compression. I don't use the synthetic oils during break in periods for new engines or for changing new parts such as cams and pistons. I use conventional oils for such break in periods. Oil filter is of course Motorcraft FL1A. I also use Mobile 1 fully synthetic transmission fluid as well(red in color) in my T5. Great protection for about $12. In the rears I run the Ford Friction Modifier in with the gear oil. It is also about $12-$15 pending on what state you live in, but it is well worth it in my opinion. :rockon:

Last edited:

03Ford46

Established Member
I've always used Mobil1 because I can't justify the price everyone wants for Royal Purple or Redline especially considering that I usually rebuild a motor long before it would ever wear out.

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
Mobil 1 is running away with the lead. Probably to be expected by availability, but as far as price, I'm told NAPA sells Royal Purple for $5.xx. I haven't been to the local NAPA to look yet, so I won't vouch for that. Has anyone viewed sites like these, www.bestsyntheticoil.com and read their results? I notice it's an Amsoil dealer, and I suppose they didn't test lubricants like Royal Purple and Redline for a reason. I viewed both Redline and Amsoil's websites and compared their competitive synthetics, and Amsoil proves to be the better of the 2 based on the numbers each manufacturer posts. I have yet to see any numbers to compare from Royal Purple. If anyone has any good links, post 'em.

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
Has anyone heard of synthetic oils like Royal Purple gear max being too thin in differentials causing poor lubrication?

fasernu

I was using mobil for some time before I swiched to royal purple. I still change the filter and oil every 3000 miles. In the long run it will be cheaper than replacing the motor. And I get Royal Purple for about 4.00 a QT at a local mom and pop shop here in town.

fasernu

BigDaveDogg said:
Has anyone heard of synthetic oils like Royal Purple gear max being too thin in differentials causing poor lubrication?

I've never heard anything like that with royal purple. But if that is the case you can get the friction additive from ford and still have the protection of the synthetic oils...

Users who are viewing this thread