Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Royal Purple

Votes: 30 14.5%
  • Other

Votes: 28 13.5%

• Total voters

SonicSVTF

Established Member
Mobil 1 leaks more because it is more fluid.... One of the same reasons it works better. Fix your leaks.

Castrol is a hyped up brand with a cool name. Oh, and its expensive. Thats why many people like it. But these qualities don't make it a better oil.
Mobil was the first to market a synthetic oil way back in 1976. The others didn't come along until the early 1990's. And it is true that Porsche and Corvette recommend ONLY Mobil 1 by name.

I worked for a company that built 800+ horspower Late Model Dirt Track engines. Upon rebuilding several of our engines we found that Royal Purple synthetic oil didn't seem to offer the same protection as regular mineral oil in our race engines.

Use Mobil.

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
grimreefer said:
I though Amsoil was the first sythentic back in 1972?
From their website...
AMSOIL has a documented history of innovation and leadership.

First to develop an API-rated 100 percent synthetic motor oil.
First to introduce the concept of "extended drain intervals" with a recommended 25,000-mile/1-year drain interval.
First U.S. company to utilize the NOACK volatility test as a standard of performance excellence.
First to produce synthetic motor oils for diesel engines, racing engines, turbo and marine engines.
First to introduce synthetic oils that legitimately contribute to improving fuel efficiency.
First to manufacture synthetic gear lube for automotive use.
First to manufacture a 100:1 pre-mix synthetic 2-cycle oil.
First to manufacture a synthetic automatic transmission fluid for automotive use.

Danger Dude

Established Member
Synthetic oil first became commercially available in the mid-1970s. The first company to make synthetic oil available in the United States was Amsoil Inc, But actually the Germans in WWII developed the first synthetic oil which had limited access to crude oil supplies. Germany's yearly synthetic oil production reached more than 90 million tons in 1944.

NOstang

i eat rice
Established Member
I go with Royal Purple all the way!!! Yes it's pricer than most, but it's the best oil i've come across. Been in Houston since August cause Katrina and never changed my oil until last weekend the Purple still looked pretty good.

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
NOstang said:
I go with Royal Purple all the way!!! Yes it's pricer than most, but it's the best oil i've come across. Been in Houston since August cause Katrina and never changed my oil until last weekend the Purple still looked pretty good.

I have RP in my pumpkin right now and my AT fluid waiting in my garage to be swapped in. Should I have my transmission flushed/purged?

SonicSVTF

Established Member
Amsoil has a hyperactive guy running the marketing department...

And yes, the Germans invented nearly EVERYTHING.

Virtually everything on your car.

-the spark plug
-the electronic fuel injector
-the oxygen sensor
-aluminum pistons
-the turbocharger (well Buschi was really Swiss but they're all the same people...)
-mechanical fuel injection
-electronic fuel injection
-the rotary engine
-the piston engine
-the JET ENGINE
-the Diesel engine
-THE AUTOMOBILE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and on and on and on...

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
SonicSVTF said:
Amsoil has a hyperactive guy running the marketing department...

And yes, the Germans invented nearly EVERYTHING.

Virtually everything on your car.

-the spark plug
-the electronic fuel injector
-the oxygen sensor
-aluminum pistons
-the turbocharger (well Buschi was really Swiss but they're all the same people...)
-mechanical fuel injection
-electronic fuel injection
-the rotary engine
-the piston engine
-the JET ENGINE
-the Diesel engine
-THE AUTOMOBILE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and on and on and on...
Don't forget they were the first to apply nitrous to increase the performance of their aircrafts during WWII...

XFIRECHIEF

Established Member
AMSOIL since the late '70's. Never, never a engine problem that was caused by the oil.
I will continue to use it till I don't drive anymore.
Why use the rest when u can use the best?

mf150

Psi Chi
Established Member
SonicSVTF said:
Mobil 1 leaks more because it is more fluid.... One of the same reasons it works better.
Mobil 1 has superior cleaning properties, so after you run it for a couple drain intervals, the detergents in the oil get the crud, sludge, and crap out of your engine and seals. This is what causes the leaks to show themselves.

Mobil 1 protects better because it is a PAO basestock, which is superior to standard mineral/dino based oils. Something that protects better is Polyol Esters, which are found in Red Line Synthetic Oil, but you will be paying for it at nearly $8.00 per qrt.

caseypayne69

Banned
Now that I think about it. Synthetic Oil is a waste of money unless your car is for full on racing. No one's motor gets hot enough to need such an oil on the road, unless your thermostat took a crap or u have a heavy foot and stay in lower gears. Plus synthetic oil is bad on rotary engines too. Since synthetic wont burn away like regular mineral oil it can cause build up in the rings that seal the rotaries togather. Which eventually blow, from build up. Which is why they got banned from American in the first place, gas hogs and pollution. (reason RX-7's were banned in 1993)

XFIRECHIEF

Established Member
WOW, U must be a expert when u say all that. Where did u get your engineering degree?
Why do u think major manufactures are putting synthetics in right at the factory? IF it is such a waste of $$, that is. They have in fact been studying synthetics for over 30 years now.
When did u see the last rotory engine anyway? Who cares about rotary engines anyways. Synthetic oils are the future in ALL engines as they ALL run hotter then just 10 years ago.

88matchbox

88-Wanna be SVT
Established Member
XFIRECHIEF said:
WOW, U must be a expert when u say all that. Where did u get your engineering degree?
Why do u think major manufactures are putting synthetics in right at the factory? IF it is such a waste of $$, that is. They have in fact been studying synthetics for over 30 years now.
When did u see the last rotory engine anyway? Who cares about rotary engines anyways. Synthetic oils are the future in ALL engines as they ALL run hotter then just 10 years ago.

+1--on top of that its proven that the detergents in synthetic oils are good for you motor. They dont build up...ever really thought about what oil in a motor is for...protection, not to burn away.....the oil burning away is NOT a good thing, You WANT the oil to stay Viscous* sp, and protect...thats why you change oil to keep it new and clean and fresh...not burnt and old and dead..... :rollseyes

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
caseypayne69 said:
Now that I think about it. Synthetic Oil is a waste of money unless your car is for full on racing. No one's motor gets hot enough to need such an oil on the road, unless your thermostat took a crap or u have a heavy foot and stay in lower gears. Plus synthetic oil is bad on rotary engines too. Since synthetic wont burn away like regular mineral oil it can cause build up in the rings that seal the rotaries togather. Which eventually blow, from build up. Which is why they got banned from American in the first place, gas hogs and pollution. (reason RX-7's were banned in 1993)
You, my friend, are an idiot. You don't want to burn oil, and you want the oil to keep everything lubed for initial startup. And wtf are you talking about got banned? Rotaries? FYI there was a 1994 model Rx-7, and Mazda continues to produce rotaries in the US. Get educated before try and educate, this will prevent any further bastardizing of my thread.

SonicSVTF

Established Member
Uh... sorry Dave, but what old boy is thinking is right. You see, the Mazda RX-7 rotary engine actually BURNS OIL. Thats right, they actually have oil injectors that meter a minute quantity of oil into the combustion chamber while the engine is running. So they ALL USED OIL. Mazda recommended against using synthetic oil in these engines due to this characteristic.

And just to clear things up about the old RX-7's (of which I've owned many) Mazda sold them here through the 1995 model year.

...and they kinda did get "banned." The old rotary design couldn't meet the new U.S. Federal emissions laws imposed on the automobile industry for the 1996 model year. So Mazda said "well, these cars aren't selling anymore and we cant meet the new emission control laws, so we'll just not sell them in the U.S. anymore.

The completely new design in the RX-8 was squarely aimed at meeting the tougher emission standards and so now they're availale here again.

And one last note. Synthetics really don't lubricate any better than mineral oil under normal conditions. The only place synthetics are necessary is on a race engine that sees extremely hot oil temperatures... and possibly some cars with superchargers... or ANY car that has a turbocharger!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread