which one should i get whipple 2.3 or 2.9?

SlowSVT

Established Member
If you notice I said that my boost level was 23 not 18. Also WHIPPLE said you should see up to 40hp gain over the 2.3 at the 18lb boost level not me.

.......and the OP was asking about boost levels between 17 and 19. Why are you even mentioning 23? Not relative to what he was asking.

Whipple said a 2.9 makes 40 more hp at 18 lbs over a 2.3 :eek: Where do they say that? 18 lbs is well within the efficiency range of the 2.3 on a 4.6. How is that even possible? If that's the case there is something very wrong with the 2.3 design. I'm just waiting for the thread proclaiming the 3.4 is worth another 40 hp over the 2.9 :dw:

I am stating what I made. Why cant you make that distinction?

You made that power after a blower upgrade and tune and that was at elevated boost levels. You were pushing the 2.3 closer to the "red" where a 2.9 makes more sense.

mach1033

Established Member
As far as I know no one else did a before and after test between a 2.3 and a 2.9 where as the only thing they did was a blower upgrade and nothing else cause I googled it and searched other sites. The only one that comes up is me. I also started a thread here that if anyone is doing an upgrade from a 2.3 to a 2.9 and nothing else to please post the results. No one has done one yet and posted it. If there is a link please post it here. Also you are right in stating that the 2.9 is more efficient which is why my motor made 49hp more then the 2.3 Also once I fix my lack of fuel issue I am going for a re tune. I will post those numbers when I'm done

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
.......and the OP was asking about boost levels between 17 and 19. Why are you even mentioning 23? Not relative to what he was asking.

Whipple said a 2.9 makes 40 more hp at 18 lbs over a 2.3 :eek: Where do they say that? 18 lbs is well within the efficiency range of the 2.3 on a 4.6. How is that even possible? If that's the case there is something very wrong with the 2.3 design. I'm just waiting for the thread proclaiming the 3.4 is worth another 40 hp over the 2.9 :dw:

You made that power after a blower upgrade and tune and that was at elevated boost levels. You were pushing the 2.3 closer to the "red" where a 2.9 makes more sense.
Could this be them marketing/selling? I don't know the exact price difference between the 2.3 and 2.9 but I'm sure it is significant enough for them to try to upsell you on their product. I'm not getting into your argument, just stating what I see may have happened.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
So should I go with 2.3 or 2.9 :) ? for daily drive car using pump gas 17-19 psi I guess 2.3 will be more than enough.

YA THINK??

If you are on a budget keep in mind that even with the much cheaper 2.3, you are going to need a MAF, and 60# injectors, plus the BAP and wire upgrade in order to use the stock pumps up past 600 RWHP on 93.

All very do-able and proven reliable. If you are going to want 650 plus, you need to kiss your budget good bye.

SlowSVT

Established Member
So should I go with 2.3 or 2.9 :) ? for daily drive car using pump gas 17-19 psi I guess 2.3 will be more than enough.

If you plan on running pump gas and don't think you will be playing with big boost applications the 2.3 is the way to go. It's a lighter, less drag on the engine and a more compact package that will have no problem overwhelming 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear :uh oh:

Make sure you get the fuel, cooling and driveline supporting mods and your car will live a happier existence inside the engine bay :)

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
Are we going thru this again?

Are you suggesting that he's gunna make 49 more hp with a 2.9 over a 2.3 at 17-19 lbs of boost? Again, your post seems to suggest that!

Somewhere in that neighborhood. Mabye closer to 40 instead of 50. But again you must know more than whipple industries, RIGHT? :bs:

Remember your last proclamation you posted to this effect?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/747471-2-3-2-9-numbers-finally-3.html

Gets interesting at post #68

You putting the 2.3 up against the wall at 23 lbs. He's looking to run pump gas on a basically a stock engine not a highly boosted engine running race fuel. For some reason you have a hard time making that distinction.

To the OP:

If you plan on keeping the engine to run on pump gas you will probably be better off with the 2.3. It should respond better at lower boost levels and your not tuning as much mass as with a 2.9. If you are thinking of going BIG later down the road with race gas or E85 then the 2.9 will be a better bet. 17 lbs of boost is 17 lbs of boost between both Whipples and the engine won't care where it's coming from. It certainly won't make 49 hp just by going to a 2.9

:bored: Ok so whipple is lying to consumers to try to upsell a product that is less than 300 dollars in price more than the next option? (2.3L)

NO... what about whipple's claims that the 2.3 made 80HP over the eaton @ 13psi?

Whipple 03-04 Cobra W140ax Supercharger Kit (Black) Stock TB [WK-200100B] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

What does the average pullied cobra make @ 13psi? between 440-470 rwhp?

13 psi whipple cobra dyno, 530/480:

Whipple - 13psi vs 17psi - Dyno Sheets Inside

Here's a thread on here showing #'s made with the 2.3 @ stock pulley boost:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...915-2-3-whipple-13-psi-what-kind-numbers.html

Lets take the middle number of the 2: 455 rwhp. fair for a eaton pullied cobra, as thats what mine made without the accufab SBTB and JLT CF RAI (made 471 with that)

530-455= 75HP difference. pretty damn close to 80.

But oh, theyre lying about the 2.9L gains over the 2.3L, so this must be :bs: as well... :rollseyes

Last edited:

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
To the OP: I can understand being on a budget, but there are just some things that shouldnt be skipped on, one being your fuel system. whether you ultimately decide to go 2.3 or 2.9, saving a few hundred bucks on a proper setup by slapping a BAP is the wrong way to go about it.

fergy016

Established Member
To the OP: I can understand being on a budget, but there are just some things that shouldnt be skipped on, one being your fuel system. whether you ultimately decide to go 2.3 or 2.9, saving a few hundred bucks on a proper setup by slapping a BAP is the wrong way to go about it.

Cheap-Reliable-Fast
Pick 2.
Do it right the first time. Save up for the fuel system before rushing the job and paying for it later by having to pull it all back apart to add the fuel system. This will save you from possibly starving the engine of the much needed fuel and creating hot spots on the pistons if you decide to turn the boost up with a pulley change.

Last edited:

stal94gt

Established Member
im seeing alot of questions on the 2.9L and i will say this, it is a great budget high hp blower, but the stock pumps will not do it. i have the stock pumps the best chance they could get. i ran a stage 2 modified fpdm, wire upgrade, and a 40 amp bap. now maybe i would have gotten more life out of 80# injecters but regaurdless my pumps maxed out at 6500 which is fine for now. i really dont drive the car much and im waiting for my return fuel system parts to come in. unless the op runs a bigger blower pulley the 2.9 is to much for the stock fuel system.

mach1033

Established Member
im seeing alot of questions on the 2.9L and i will say this, it is a great budget high hp blower, but the stock pumps will not do it. i have the stock pumps the best chance they could get. i ran a stage 2 modified fpdm, wire upgrade, and a 40 amp bap. now maybe i would have gotten more life out of 80# injecters but regaurdless my pumps maxed out at 6500 which is fine for now. i really dont drive the car much and im waiting for my return fuel system parts to come in. unless the op runs a bigger blower pulley the 2.9 is to much for the stock fuel system.

At 23lbs its to much for the Lethal/Fore system as well.

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
I will be stuck with this dilemma as well in the upcoming summer/fall. I will be looking at the 2.3 or 2.9, and its a tough choice since 2.9 is only about $600-700 more. I'm a fan of big HP, but honestly I just want a solid 700rwhp car and that's plenty on the street. I think a 2.3 would suit me well, especially the newer gen2, at around 22psi with e85 should get me there and that's what I plan on doing. A 2.9 is definitely a good blower, and it will get me to 700rwhp even with less boost, but I don't need that much of a blower anyway since going over 750rwhp is becoming at the edge of the stock motor. (IMO)

recky2000

Established Member
Ok I just placed an order for whipple 2.3 from lethalperformance.i would like to reuse my stock fuel rails as well as hat so should i just get only boost a pump or dual gt pumps+dual FPDM?I think stock pumps+BAP will be enough to support 600+ rwhp.

mach1033

Established Member
Ok I just placed an order for whipple 2.3 from lethalperformance.i would like to reuse my stock fuel rails as well as hat so should i just get only boost a pump or dual gt pumps+dual FPDM?I think stock pumps+BAP will be enough to support 600+ rwhp.

Your gonna be playing it close. If I were you I would keep the 3.5 pulley which is 15lbs of boost with a Gen 2 and then when you get enough money to fully upgrade your fuel system then go 17 or 19lbs and not worry when you go above 600.

Users who are viewing this thread