Which kit car?

Sagittaria

Established Member
So I'm getting close to a point in my life with a good chunk of funds available and a house, garage, and good DD truck under my belt.

I've always wanted to build a unique and performing kit car but between these 3 options, which would you go for?

Option 1: Factory Five Type 65 Coupe
coupe0711.jpg
Pros:
I can afford it now/cheaper
It looks pretty darn good
Pretty customizable
Familiar with mustang running gear components

Cons:
I absolutely hate the rear end ice cream scoop
It's nowhere near as "finished/complete" as an RCR
Interior is lacking
Feels and looks.. "cheap" at times
Side exhaust causes some serious extended noise issues in cabin

Option 2: RCR GT40
Passenger_side2.JPG
Pros:
Looks absolutely fantastic!
Interior is excellent (for a kit car)
Much higher quality and finished kit
Exhaust is at the back and no noise issues on extended drives

Cons:
Much more expensive. Probably won't even begin to happen for another 1-2 years
Drivability concerns (This thing is LOW! And hard to see out of. And I'd need half a parking spot on each side to get out)
Mostly unfamiliar components (minus 302/351 engine)

Option 3: Dream Motorcycle
Pros:
Instant gratification
I'll actually posses one "toy"

Cons:
Pushes both kit cars further down the timeline.

Any thoughts? Can't go asking on FFR or RCR without obvious bias. Thanks!

starnsey

Established Member
I would go Daytona Coupe. Such a freakin sexy car. I also feel in some way it's even more exotic than the GT40 since you never see anything like it on the road.

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
If you're dead set on one of those kit cars? 351 gt40

If you would explore other options best bet is the daytona as mentioned

GRUSE

Established Member
Kit cars are kind of like wearing a toupee or dating a hot transvestite.IMO not a good idea,a lot of money spent on something that's fake.

Sagittaria

Established Member
Buy a Pantera and put a mod motor in it.

Not my cup of tea unfortunately. If I do go Daytona the mod motor will be going in trust me.

If you're dead set on one of those kit cars? 351 gt40

If you would explore other options best bet is the daytona as mentioned

The Daytona is the first choice unless you're referring to something else?

I would go Daytona Coupe. Such a freakin sexy car. I also feel in some way it's even more exotic than the GT40 since you never see anything like it on the road.

Always wanted a Daytona Coupe

I was thinking that too. Definitely not a car seen very many places. Honestly the one thing that's turning me off from the F5 is that it's just not as much kit as the RCR unfortunately.

Kit cars are kind of like wearing a toupee or dating a hot transvestite.IMO not a good idea,a lot of money spent on something that's fake.

Yeah it's not the real thing but I'm also not a millionaire lol. I like to build things and modern kit cars are FAR from what they used to be... and FAR from anything remotely close to it's price range. Please see the following vid for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwuvzSgJ25k

Last edited:

GRUSE

Established Member
Yeah it's not the real thing but I'm also not a millionaire lol. I like to build things and modern kit cars are FAR from what they used to be... and FAR from anything remotely close to it's price range. Please see the following vid for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwuvzSgJ25k

I understand the budget aspect and respect you wanting to build something.Kit cars have come along way since they were the rage in the 70's,with there VW engines.Met a few guys who gone that route one guy recently built an AC Cobra,it does look cool got nearly 50G into the build.It's on Craigslist since last summer for 45G.Another guy has an old GT40 VW paid $350 makes a nice lawn ornament.
Build the bike or restore an old old car unless you been there done that.
GL in whatever path you choose.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Are kit cars 49 state legal (suck it cali)?

I don't see a problem with kit cars. I don't think it's a toupee, more like fake titties, may not be official but still nice to look at.

I vote Daytona because I never seen one in person. Great looking and is pretty much a mustang minus 1000ish pounds.

Last edited:

Speed Junky

Established Member
I will be building an FFR Type 65 as my retirement project with my father. Something about putting an ENTIRE car together that intrigues me. Plus you can make it yours. I'm all about a bare bones, purpose built car- haul a$$ through the twisties.
So.... my vote is type 65 and be patient with the body work

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Why not a Factory Five MK4? Unless you're opposed to the open cockpit.

allgo90

Established Member
I eventually want to build a gt40 kit car. The fun of putting it together and actually being able to drive it around / race it out weigh having an original that sits around because you are worried to drive it.

Sagittaria

Established Member
Are kit cars 49 state legal (suck it cali)?

I don't see a problem with kit cars. I don't think it's a toupee, more like fake titties, may not be official but still nice to look at.

I vote Daytona because I never seen one in person. Great looking and is pretty much a mustang minus 1000ish pounds.

Depends on the state for the specifics. Some will register/title the car according the year of the engine, others as whatever year you registered... others are extremely lenient. I've heard of a few folks getting away as a '65!

I will be building an FFR Type 65 as my retirement project with my father. Something about putting an ENTIRE car together that intrigues me. Plus you can make it yours. I'm all about a bare bones, purpose built car- haul a$$ through the twisties.
So.... my vote is type 65 and be patient with the body work

Thanks and agreed on all counts! I've heard the gen 2 red bodies were much better.. the glass rear hatch really gives it a better feel.

factory five GTM?

Not my cup of tea :/ Looking for more of a classic icon.. but it is a heck of a car!

I never knew option 2 even existed! Around How much would a complete car like that cost?

The complete kit comes out over 40k (twice the FFR). The transaxle itself is rather expensive as well to get a decent one (ideal new/rebuilt aftermarket is over 12k!) From what I've seen 70-90k all said and done.. starting.

Why not a Factory Five MK4? Unless you're opposed to the open cockpit.

Yup you hit it. I've never been a fan of going roofless.

I eventually want to build a gt40 kit car. The fun of putting it together and actually being able to drive it around / race it out weigh having an original that sits around because you are worried to drive it.

I'd do the GT40 in a different color with stripe/sticker delete. imo it's a far better looking car.

Agreed! I will be driving this car which is why I'm paying extra close attention to some of the daily nuances listed in the OP.. I'm not exactly too picky though hah. But either car will not have stripes or stickers.. Thinking a deep blue.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Daytona w/ blown 302 unless you plan on stuffing a 427 under the rear hatch of that GT40 clone.

starnsey

Established Member
I understand the budget aspect and respect you wanting to build something.Kit cars have come along way since they were the rage in the 70's,with there VW engines.Met a few guys who gone that route one guy recently built an AC Cobra,it does look cool got nearly 50G into the build.It's on Craigslist since last summer for 45G.Another guy has an old GT40 VW paid $350 makes a nice lawn ornament.
Build the bike or restore an old old car unless you been there done that.
GL in whatever path you choose.

Restoring a classic car means you don't know exactly what lies under the paint, could be rust everywhere. Plus, antiquated suspension and much heavier. I think the Factory Fives are bad ass and would love to do one one day.

[video=youtube;V96-AQ1FghI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V96-AQ1FghI[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread