Which brand of transmission fluid for T-45 trans? Vote and input please!

Which brand ATF do you recommend?

• Amsoil

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Redline D4

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (please post)

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

00WHTSC281

Established Member
The more I read this article the funnier it gets. Amsoil pays for test, the results are they are TWICE as good as the 2nd place oil. Lol! Really. The whole oil industry doesnt know what they are doing by this report. Its like going to a GM dealership and asking which is a better car a Mustang or a Camaro. How much of a chance is there that the GM dealership will say the Camaro sucks and the Mustang is awesome. These results are almost completely irrelevant. But you did make me dig into it. I have had nothing but great results from RP and,have never heard anyone I know that uses or used RP have anything bad,to say about them,except they are expensive. Usually in life you get what you pay for.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

00WHTSC281

Established Member
Lol! Did you read,the forum. It says its ford recall issue. Several cars with the same issue, all using different lubes. Some with less than 5k, and doing it again less than 1k after dealership fixed. I,would say its not a lube issue. Its a recall issue. I run RP, and its better than stock. Super quite and smooth. All I know for sure is it works well for me. Amsoil is ultra premium and I think it is awesome as well. Redline would round out my top three.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

1hot281

Established Member
Tremec Transmissions, Technology in Motion

TREMEC said:
Q: What type of fluid does TREMEC recommended?
A: For all TKO 5-speed models, TREMEC recommends GM Synchromesh(GM Part # 12345349). For all other aftermarket models we recommend Dexron III ATF.

Q: Why use automatic transmission fluid in a manual gearbox?
A: Automatic transmission fluids provide the necessary protection and lubrication, while still allowing the synchronizer to function at its best.

Q: Why not use a synthetic fluid?
A: Some brands of synthetic fluid contain powerful detergents and additives that can prove harmful to your transmission's synchronizers. While many synthetic fluids perform very well, in most cases, we do not recommend their use. Furthermore, they may void your warranty. For peace of mind, remember that TREMEC conducts all of its OEM validation testing using conventional fluids without issue.

Q: Why not use gear oil in one of your transmissions?
A: A hypoid gear oil by design does not allow mechanical surfaces to make contact with one another. A synchronizer relies on friction (much like your car's brakes) to do its job. Thus, gear oil in a synchronized transmission can be a bad combination, potentially causing a variety of shift quality issues. Furthermore, many gear oils contain sulfur additives that can damage friction materials.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
I personally use the cheapest Dex/Merc or Mercon V I can find.

Here's what the book says.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yep, that's exactly what I went by as well, however when I found a digital copy of the owner's manual for a 1999 Mustang it specified Mercon V now. I've read where people have used Synchromesh and then had problems down the road, as well as people that used full synthetics. I am NOT saying that they cause a problem, and maybe they are the final death blow to a trans that is on its way out. However, I DO know that if there ever was a problem to be had, no matter how remote, it would most definitely happen to me :lol:

I too don't have any hard shifting problems when cold and the trans feels a little smoother, if only a tiny bit. I think the bonuses to using the expensive stuff can also be found by comparing it to a cold air or K&N filter install. You can take a old, dirty, paper air filter and replace it with the brand new (or clean) aftermarket one and there is a gain, but a lot of it is just from the decrease in performance that was already there, so you're only REgaining performance instead of upgrading it.

BTSMUSTANG

Established Member
I pay up and run royal purple syncormax. Ive been running castrol Dex/mec but during track days my tranny fluid would boil over after multiple laps on track, wreaked my stock t45 when that happened. Very pleased with royal purple, much higher temp resistance

procharged 99

Established Member
I run royal purple shifts smooth. Ford also says to run 5/20 too and I don't think that's a great idea.

OW99

Established Member
50% mopar synchromesh and 50% ATF. Feels better with 140,000 miles than the t5 I just built with mercon v added.

realitygt

Established Member
seems like gm synchromesh is the fluid to use, but has anyone had problems with using it in the t45?

i feel like i brought this back from the dead but it was only on page 3 :shrug:

Last edited:

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Good old cheapo Advanced auto parts Mercon, seeing that the synchros in these use a fiber "clutch" material,( similar to an automatic trans, clutch material) I would go with the factory recommendation and not get too artsy-fartsy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread