Which brand of transmission fluid for T-45 trans? Vote and input please!

Which brand ATF do you recommend?

• Amsoil

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Redline D4

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (please post)

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Since its been about 56k miles and 13 years, I think its about time to drain and replace the trans fluid in my T-45 as I am positive it has never been changed. I would normally use Motorcraft but they don't make Mercon anymore and changed the specs on Mercon V to make it compatible with both Mercon and Mercon V specified-vehicles, and I just don't trust it.

That being said, anyone have recommendation on what brand trans fluid to get? I've kind of narrowed it down to Amsoil ATF, Redline D4 ATF, and Mobil 1 ATF, all of which I would have to order since no one carries it around here - not a big deal, but meaning that accessibility isn't a factor since I have to order it regardless. Please let me know which one you use, or would use, or if none of them which would you suggest? I'm not really interested in running Synchromax/Synchromesh-type fluid, as I have experienced problems in shifting, especially while cold. I've also read about the Synchro-stuff damaging bronze and plastic synchro, kind of ironic based on the name :p

Interesting note I found in the owner's manual while reading it the other day - I didn't know that ATF is also called for in the power steering system, which I probably should also flush and might order an extra quart of whatever I end up deciding on, and doing the PS system as well.

Thanks!

trxcobra

Established Member
I run synchromesh in mine, shifts smooth and no issues at 85k

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Mercon/Dexron III

Valvoline/1 qt. DEXRON III/Mercon automatic transmission fluid (VV353) | Transmission Fluid | AutoZone.com

JaCobra

Eaton Powered
Established Member
Ive always ran the cheap stuff. Dex/merc and have always had great luck!

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've been running the Coastal brand in my last two transmissions. No issues with it.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
So really no benefits for using the ultra expensive stuff for a street machine with "spirited driving" on the weekends and the occasional auto-x?

Established Member
So really no benefits for using the ultra expensive stuff for a street machine with "spirited driving" on the weekends and the occasional auto-x?

Nope.

Running synthetics or super slick stuff in your transmission will ruin your synchros.

I'm sure you've heard of tons of 01 'bra and Mach1 owners complain of 2nd and 3rd gear issues.

Ford backtracked and then stated that all TR3650's should use Mercon/Dexron III after the crappy Merc V that they had been putting in them from the factory had ruined a ****load of their synchros.

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stories/docs/sn95_TSBs/04-15-06.pdf

btw, XT-2-QDX = Mercon/Dexron III

Stick to the Merrcon/Dexron III as I said.

Last edited:

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Yea, I had read somewhere that the T-5/T-45/TR3650's all liked good ol' fashioned dino oil and not synthetic because of the synchros or the shift forks (couldn't remember which) so that def jives with what I learned a long time ago.

The valvoline posted is not sold at my local stores, but they do have the "high mile" stuff - is the high mile stuff worth the extra buck or two, and are the additives they put in beneficial as well? Or is it a semi-synthetic used in the high mile stuff?

Established Member
Yea, I had read somewhere that the T-5/T-45/TR3650's all liked good ol' fashioned dino oil and not synthetic because of the synchros or the shift forks (couldn't remember which) so that def jives with what I learned a long time ago.

The valvoline posted is not sold at my local stores, but they do have the "high mile" stuff - is the high mile stuff worth the extra buck or two, and are the additives they put in beneficial as well? Or is it a semi-synthetic used in the high mile stuff?

Call your local autozone:

31837 TEMCULA PKWY
TEMECULA, CA 92592
(951) 302-8334

Tell them you want to pick up a few quarts of:

Valvoline/1 qt. DEXRON III/Mercon automatic transmission fluid (VV353) | Transmission Fluid | AutoZone.com

at $2.99/quart

..on Monday and they'll have it there waiting for you.

Simple ya? :shrug:

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Well I ended up using some Castrol which only cost $1 more than the Valv, BUT then after my brother's 20% discount its close enough for me :D Here is a comparison of the color of the old stuff vs the new :

IMG_4890.jpg

Was probably the original trans fluid from 1999 since I've never drained it myself, and everything looked factory untouched on the fill/drain holes. Besides just the regular maintenance aspect, the trans doesn't shift hard or grind when its cold out like it did before, and since I didn't have any problems with it before like popping out of gear, not engaging, etc. I'd say it was worth it.

CJK440

Established Member
Walmart super tech type F.

Remember, atf is formulated for use automatics. So chances are you are not taking advantage of those higher priced lubes.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
2 bottles of the valvoline posted and a bottle of lucas stop slip for auto transmissions is what I run in mine and have ran for over 15k miles. Completely took away that "hard shift" into second when cold.

00WHTSC281

Established Member
I run Royal Purple front to back in mine. No issues,at all from synthetic. Ultra smooth.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

00WHTSC281

Established Member
Funny how Amsoil won and they were the ones running the test. I found several different test that had very different results. Huge fan of RP. Great oil. Works well for me anyway. Interesting though. IMO you can never ask competing companies to do a unbias report on their number one competitor.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread