which brake pads

1BLWN 03

Established Member
I am wondering which brake pads would be best for my 03 Cobra...I was debating on Hawk HPS or EBC Yellow Stuff...any help or suggestions would be appreciated, already have new rotors...thanks

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
EBC = Pure poop... no really, just bought the green pads a few months ago, they squeel like a pig, don't stop any better than stock that I have noticed, and dust considerably more than stock pads.

MustangThief

Established Member
I've heard only good things about the hawk ceramic pads.

They also have PLUS brake pads, stay away from those unless you autocross.

I've heard the PLUS pads are MORE dust, and don't last as long, but are way better performing than street pads.

I'm going to be ordering the pads ASAP just to get away from cleaning my rims daily from the all the damn brake dust...

MustangThief

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
stick with the stockers.

quiet
low dust
stops well when cold
pick any two

My stockers are TONS of dust. If I clean daily it's not enough...

I've heard the hawk ceramics are like 1/10th the dust of the stockers

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
For you guys with squeal and/or excessive dust, one question. Did you bed your pads? I have found that bedding new pads and seasoning new rotors helps avoid a lot of nagging problems.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I did bed my pads, and even used the brake quiet goop with no avail. I think I'm going to go back to stock pads. I was going to, but they are almost twice the price of aftermarkets, so I thought I'd give the brand X a try.

beabout

Established Member
MustangThief said:
I've heard only good things about the hawk ceramic pads.

They also have PLUS brake pads, stay away from those unless you autocross.

I've heard the PLUS pads are MORE dust, and don't last as long, but are way better performing than street pads.

I'm going to be ordering the pads ASAP just to get away from cleaning my rims daily from the all the damn brake dust...

+1

Have ceramics myself as first replacement after stock. They do need to be bedded. Very low dust over stock.

MustangThief

Established Member
capello said:
+1

Have ceramics myself as first replacement after stock. They do need to be bedded. Very low dust over stock.

Bedded?

Did you get the hawk ceramics? I was about to order those but lethal wants as much for shipping as half the rear pads cost! I'm gonna have to try to work something out with them or try to find some free shipping somewhere.

G2Mach1

Cameltosis
Established Member
my experience:
Hawks SQUEELED big time and yes they were bedded in and my rotors were resurfaced. I hated them - only bought them cause they were cheap.

Stock Cobra pads work great for me and have very little dust but are very expensive.

Funny that you mention EBC in the Mustang world. I had the RED STUFF on my 2 previous imports and really, really liked them... (VERY LITTLE dust and braked great) I have been thinking about using them later down the road when my Cobra pads are gone. I would NOT do the Green Stuff or Yellow Stuff though. Green is their basic street line, which do dust and the Yellow are supposed to be for track days. Red are for aggressive street.

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
I've seen the Hawk pads on ebay for like 1/2 price than i've seen them on any other mustang performance website. Just FYI.

95PGTTech

Established Member
DO NOT GET THE EBC YELLOWSTUFF. They are an incredible pad, my friend Rich uses them on his 05 STi with StopTech rotors, and BOY ARE THEY LOUD. At most, go with the Reds. The Yellows make no noise until you try to come to a complete stop and for the last fifteen feet or so they squeal like fingers on a chalkboard, metal on metal type sound.

We just did a road rally and after about 45 minutes of straight beating the crap out of the car he was saying he finally felt some fade in the brakes but he thought it was the brake fluid failing not the pads because the pads still bit like crazy, the pedal was just getting a little low but still hard. Stainless lines and DOT5 fluid are next.

Hawk HP+ had some noise after heating them up real bad on my brother's Intrepid daily driver, but not nearly the level of the YellowStuff.

Users who are viewing this thread