Which 10.5" "knock off" rim should I buy???

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
SVTkel said:
The site says they won't fit for the 03/04 Cobra. I presume they do if you use a larger tire and the low profilebolt??

Most SVT/Ford Racing "knock offs" are intended for the live axle 99-04 Mustangs. With the shaved down/button head IRS bolts and or the correct size spacer for your particular application...the knock off rims will work with the IRS cars. They just have that disclaimer for the knuckle heads that destroy their tires by not properly fitting the rims/tires!!!

Later...Dave

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
mblgjr said:
SVTkel...do some searching.

They WILL fit the 03/4 Cobras with minimal issues.

If you run a 295 or skinny 315...you will likely have no issues; or just shave the upper rear IRS bolt or run the MM units.

Otherwise if you run a fat 315 (BFG/Goodyear) then you'll need to shave the bolt and run a 1/4" or 3/8" spacer with ET lugs.

Yeah, you are correct...too bad they don't make a 17" G-Force KDW's in a 295 width...I really like those tires!!!

Later...Dave

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Tobias said:
As far as tires are concerned, you can't go wrong with the Nitto 555r. I used it on a short and very technical road course with no problems. They stick and wear very well. It is a very good all purpose tire in my humble opinion.

Really...I thought that since they are drag radials, the side walls would be too soft for spirited cornering!!!

Interesting...

Later...Dave

04torchred

Established Member
SVTkel said:
The site says they won't fit for the 03/04 Cobra. I presume they do if you use a larger tire and the low profilebolt??

I have the american muscle 10.5's with 315 nittos and they fit just fine, I don't even have my 5/16" spacers on yet. With a wider tire I would need the spacers for sure though just from my checking of clearance with the bolt.

HELLFYR

Back in the game
Established Member
What ever you do, avoid DETROIT WHEELS.

I bought a set that another guy had purchased, and all the chrome is blistered and Detroit Wheels wouldn't take any reponsibility for it.

No big deal to me as they will only be used at the track, but I'll never buy anything new from that company.

Rod

Last edited:

HELLFYR

Back in the game
Established Member
Oh, and by the way...

The Detroit Wheels 10.5s with ET Street 315s the IRS bolt nearly
fully embeds itself into the tire when mounted. I am getting the MM
button head bolts, and will probably still need a 1/4 or 3/8 spacer as well.
But... since only for the track... once again, no big deal.

Rod

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
RockLight said:
What ever you do, avoid DETROIT WHEELS.

I bought a set that another guy had purchased, and all the chrome is blistered and Detroit Wheels wouldn't take any reponsibility for it.

No big deal to me as they will only be used at the track, but I'll never buy anything new from that company.

Rod

I'm not goin' chrome but thanks for the heads up on the Detroit wheels...I was wondering about them???

Later...Dave

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
RockLight said:
Oh, and by the way...

The Detroit Wheels 10.5s with ET Street 315s the IRS bolt nearly
fully embeds itself into the tire when mounted. I am getting the MM
button head bolts, and will probably still need a 1/4 or 3/8 spacer as well.
But... since only for the track... once again, no big deal.

Rod

Good info...Thanks again!!!

Later...Dave

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
If you are new to world of 10.5" wheels on Terminators, do yourself a favor and check out THIS thread. :read:

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
If you are new to world of 10.5" wheels on Terminators, do yourself a favor and check out THIS thread. :read:

Thanks Top Fuel...you have posted that useful info to another post of mine regarding 315's on stock rims!!!

What is you take on "knock offs"...which brand do you prefer???

According to the chart, a 285 mm BFG is the same width as a 315 mm Nitto...are we comparing the BFG G-Force KDW to the Nitto 555R??? If that's the case, maybe I'll put the 285 KDWs on 10.5s for the street??? I can always pick up Drag Nitto's and throw them on the stock rims for the strip???

You still need a 10.5 for the G-Force KDW right???

As always...thanks for your input!!!

Later...Dave

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
I had AFS knock-offs, but they were the polished version. For being cheap-ass knock-offs made in China, they had a surprisingly good fit and finish. My SVT centercaps fit perfectly into them.

For what it's worth... I think all of these knock-off Cobra replica wheels are coming from China. All the 10.5" wheels appear to have the same (wrong) offset/backspacing. I often wonder if they're all coming out of the same factory over there, regardless of who is selling them over here. :shrug:

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
ok all I have seen from afs lately is the machined finish with black painted inside, not the silver that comes on the stockers. have even been to their site and not seen them. am I missing something?

as for the summitomos they are good for cheap daily drivers but dont expect to have ANY traction. I would sometimes spn just pulling out from a stop at low speeds. to much tq on a pullied only cobra. like I said, good for daily driving, bad for traction. I went back to the nitto tire for my daily driving.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
I had AFS knock-offs, but they were the polished version. For being cheap-ass knock-offs made in China, they had a surprisingly good fit and finish. My SVT centercaps fit perfectly into them.

For what it's worth... I think all of these knock-off Cobra replica wheels are coming from China. All the 10.5" wheels appear to have the same (wrong) offset/backspacing. I often wonder if they're all coming out of the same factory over there, regardless of who is selling them over here. :shrug:

Thanks for the "knock off" info ...how about my question regarding the tires??? Here it is again:

According to the chart, a 285 mm BFG is the same width as a 315 mm Nitto...are we comparing the BFG G-Force KDW to the Nitto 555R??? If that's the case, maybe I'll put the 285 KDWs on 10.5s for the street??? I can always pick up Drag Nitto's and throw them on the stock rims for the strip???

Thanks for all the info!!!

Later...Dave

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
BadMoFo said:
ok all I have seen from afs lately is the machined finish with black painted inside, not the silver that comes on the stockers. have even been to their site and not seen them. am I missing something?

as for the summitomos they are good for cheap daily drivers but dont expect to have ANY traction. I would sometimes spn just pulling out from a stop at low speeds. to much tq on a pullied only cobra. like I said, good for daily driving, bad for traction. I went back to the nitto tire for my daily driving.

Yeah, I can't find the stock lookin' AFS 03' Cobra wheels with the gray accents...the only ones I see on the AFS site are the ones with the black accents... and those won't match my front rims???

Anybody know where I can find them??? I want the ones that look like the above picture posted by 01SVTSnake!!!

A link would be nice...

Thanks...

Later...Dave

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
SCT2003 said:
a 285 mm BFG is the same width as a 315 mm Nitto...are we comparing the BFG G-Force KDW to the Nitto 555R?
The 285s I was running were BFG KDWS, not KDW. Still, I'm sure they're the same width. 285s are just slightly smaller than a Nitto 315 drag radial. You probably couldn't tell the difference. With either Nitto 315s or BFG 285s, the tires are going to look somewhat small for 10.5 wheels (in my opinion). If you look at that diagram, you can see that the outer lip of the wheel actually sticks out further than the sidewall.

Here is a pic of a BFG KDWS 285-40-17 on an AFS 10.5" wheel...

Cobra3.jpg

It looks pretty good in the picture, but in reality it was clear to me that those tires were too narrow for that wide of a wheel. I swapped those tires out quickly for some Sumitomo 315s and it looked much beter.

In my opinion, you only need a 10.5" wheel if you're going to install the wider 315s (like BFGs or Goodyears). You can put any brand of 285 (or a Nitto 315) on the stock wheels and it won't look bad. Stick a BFG or Goodyear 315 on a stock wheel and it will look like 10 pounds of suasage in a 5 pound bag. :-D

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Top fuel...

Opinions on 18x9", 18X10.5" rims with 275 front/ 295 rear???

I have an opportunity to go 18" instead of 17"!!!

Do the 18X10.5" rims look good with 295 series or is that tire still too narrow???

Thanks...

Later...Dave

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
SCT2003 said:
Do the 18X10.5" rims look good with 295 series or is that tire still too narrow???
Man... that's a good question. :??: I have never seen that combination in person, so I really can't give you an educated opinion.

I thought about 18" wheels, but stayed with 17s because I was on a budget. There seemed to be better (cheaper) tire options for 17" 315s.

I know that's not much of an answer. :shrug: Maybe someone has pics of 295s on 18" wheels they can show you.

kj385

Established Member
I run the nitto's 555R II (275) on the front with 555R DR (315) in the rear (17 x 10.5) on AFS wheels. I think they are a great street tire. With good life for only a 100 treadwear rating. I've only had them in the rain a few times but they didn't seem any worse than stock when wet. I even autocross on them once a month. The drag radial is no problem at the track with the right tire pressure. I'm still a novice at the autocross thing but the car ran hard and had great balance without being out of control. I will use them again as a street tire. But I'm looking at the BFG R1's for the track. The Nitto set will run you $700-750 to your door at discounttiredirect.com

Last edited:

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
You will probably have to buy used satin finish rims. It took me 4 months to find one to replace one that got screwed up! I don't think you'll find them. You might be better off starting over with chrome rims if you want to stay with the original Cobra style rims. The Nitto 315's worked great for me with no rubbing issues. Good luck!!!

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
they use to make them in the satin and with the grey inside, but I think they relized they were selling alot more rears than fronts and rears. so they switched to the black inside so you would have to buy both f&r. thats my take anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread