Which 10.5" "knock off" rim should I buy???

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Well...I have a 03' Cobra and want to upgrade the rear rims from the stock 9" width to a larger 10.5" width "knock off" rim.

Problem is...I'm having a hard time deciding which company to buy the "knock offs" from??? I've seen prices from about $130 to $200 but I can't tell of the quality and look from the crappy internet pictures!!!

I'm not looking to buy the cheapest, I just want something that matches my stock rims as close as possible since the fronts will remain stock. I have no problem paying a little extra for better quality.

I have the stock 03' Aluminum Termy wheels(not-chrome) and would like a close to perfect match...

Any opinions???

BTW, I currently have 275's but after putting on the 10.5" rims, I would like to go for some bigger meats. I know the 315 mm Nitto drags fit nicely but I also hit the LA canyons a lot...so I'm looking for a real good street/strip tire that is also good in the corners...

Any opinions on which type and size of tire to along with the rims???

Thanks...

Later...Dave

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Oh yeah guys, close up pictures of your rims and tires would be nice too!!!

Thanks again...

Later...Dave

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
well a good street strip tire is kind of hard to get. Nittos and BFGs are good for the strip because of the softer sidewall but are going to give you problems in the twistys, NItto makes a NT555RII which is a road race tire. I believe it is the same compound as the NT555R DR but with a stiffer sidewall.

For the actual wheels, AFS seems to be quite popular among the terminators and some NE cobras.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Do the AFS 03' Cobra wheels look exactly like stock..ur..um..ya know...silver surface with grey accents on the inside of the lip and spokes???

Any close up pictures fellas???

Thanks...

Later...Dave

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
01SVTSnake said:
well a good street strip tire is kind of hard to get. Nittos and BFGs are good for the strip because of the softer sidewall but are going to give you problems in the twistys, NItto makes a NT555RII which is a road race tire. I believe it is the same compound as the NT555R DR but with a stiffer sidewall.

For the actual wheels, AFS seems to be quite popular among the terminators and some NE cobras.

Thanks for your input...

The Nitto NT555R DR's are fairly cheap but aren't those NT555RII's on the real expensive side??? In addition, I want to try and stay away from "compettition only" tires since the car may see rain from time to time.

On some of my previous cars, including a 1989 347 stroker, I had good luck with BFG G-Force KDW's but they don't seem to make them in the big 17" sizes???

Is there any other "all purpose" street tire out there that is comparable to the BFG G-Force and is also a big step up from the stock in regards to width and traction???

Later...Dave

sb03cobra

Established Member
I bought mine from http://www.americanmuscle.com/

Right now they are $169 each with free shipping.

Here's a pic....

MVC-003F.jpg
[/IMG]

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
sb03cobra said:
I bought mine from http://www.americanmuscle.com/

Right now they are $169 each with free shipping.

Here's a pic....

MVC-003F.jpg
[/IMG]

That's a 10.5" on the left and a 9" on the right???

Jeez...that 10.5" looks friggin huge...maybe it's an optical illusion or something but wow!!!

Do they sell "non-chrome" versions at American Muscle??? I need the rears to match my front rims!!!

Thanks...

Later...Dave

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
that one wheel was narrowed to 5 inches wide to be used as a front runner i believe. Also American Muscle doesnt carry them in the silverish finish

here is a pic of the AFS wheels in the silverish finish.
s1ma.jpg

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
01SVTSnake said:
that one wheel was narrowed to 5 inches wide to be used as a front runner i believe. Also American Muscle doesnt carry them in the silverish finish

here is a pic of the AFS wheels in the silverish finish.
s1ma.jpg

Yeah my bad, I now see the welds where they cut the rim down!!!

Well, that picture above about does it for me...that looks just like my stocker rims with the silver face and paint accents!!!

Well, unless somebody tells me otherwise...the AFS 10.5" should do the trick for me but now back to the subject of tires...

I still need to choose an all around performance tire for the 10.5" rear rims...any opinions would be great appreciated!!!

I want at least a 295 mm back there!!!

Thanks...

Later...Dave

Last edited:

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Side note...does the stock SVT center caps fit into the AFS wheels???

I most def would like to eliminate the goofy looking Cobra center caps for the SVT ones!!!

Later...Dave

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
im pretty sure the SVT Center Caps will fit as i have seen them in pictures. They are supposed to be an exact replica. Also for tires a good tire is a Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 Tire in 315/35/17. They run wide and will look very filled out and good from the back. They do very very well in wet weather. Only downfall is that they are quite expensive. You will need to buy MM IRS Bolts, or grind yours down half way. You may also require a 1/4 to 3/8s wheel spacer to bring these wheels out. The offset is done for solid axles. Unfortunately you may need just a IRS bolt or shave your factory one or spacers. Every Independent rear is different.

You could also try the Sumitomo 315/35/17 HTR Z tire. They are a good tire for their price (94.00 a piece at Tire Rack) They will not hold the traction as well as the GS D3 or a DR but they will be decent. These 315s do not run quite as wide as the GS D3s and may not require a spacer.

Last edited:

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
01SVTSnake said:
im pretty sure the SVT Center Caps will fit as i have seen them in pictures. They are supposed to be an exact replica. Also for tires a good tire is a Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 Tire in 315/35/17. They run wide and will look very filled out and good from the back. They do very very well in wet weather. Only downfall is that they are quite expensive. You will need to buy MM IRS Bolts, or grind yours down half way. You may also require a 1/4 to 3/8s wheel spacer to bring these wheels out. The offset is done for solid axles. Unfortunately you may need just a IRS bolt or shave your factory one or spacers. Every Independent rear is different.

You could also try the Sumitomo 315/35/17 HTR Z II tire. They are a good tire for their price (94.00 a piece at Tire Rack) They will not hold the traction as well as the GS D3 or a DR but they will be decent. These 315s do not run quite as wide as the GS D3s and may not require a spacer.

I'm sorry but did you say $94 at the tire rack...is that possible for a 315 mm tire???

LOL

I'll order the MM bolts and buy spacers only if needed...I would like to be able to run without a spacer but I def don't want to rub on anything either!!!

Thanks for the input...I'll keep researching!!!

Later...Dave

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
01SVTSnake said:

Damn...I didn't know that they were so cheap...what gives???

Hey, the price is right but how well do they perform??? I mean, if the tire doesn't perform well...shouldn't I just go with a smaller(width) tire of better quality??? Say a 295 or maybe a 305???

Jeez...$96 bucks is cheap...is that right...I'm perplexed???

Thanks 01SVTSnake...I appreciate your feedback!!!

Later...Dave

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
For $96 a peice, I think you should get them and then give us all the skinny... the handfull of reviews on TR.com seemed favorable. Do it!

Tobias

Established Member
As far as tires are concerned, you can't go wrong with the Nitto 555r. I used it on a short and very technical road course with no problems. They stick and wear very well. It is a very good all purpose tire in my humble opinion.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
03yllwguy said:
For $96 a peice, I think you should get them and then give us all the skinny... the handfull of reviews on TR.com seemed favorable. Do it!

Just read about 20 threads on those particular tires and most people feel they suck ass in the traction dept.!!!

My Cobra is pullied(460+ HP/TQ) and I have a hard enough time with the stock Eagle 275's not cuttin' it...I'm going the 10.5"/315mm route to improve performance, not make it worse!!!

When it comes to upgrading tires, I'd rather pay a little extra for a tire that actually improves traction/cornering/braking!!!

The Sumitomo's look good but...I'll keep searching!!!

Later...Dave

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
SVTkel...do some searching.

They WILL fit the 03/4 Cobras with minimal issues.

If you run a 295 or skinny 315...you will likely have no issues; or just shave the upper rear IRS bolt or run the MM units.

Otherwise if you run a fat 315 (BFG/Goodyear) then you'll need to shave the bolt and run a 1/4" or 3/8" spacer with ET lugs.

Users who are viewing this thread