Whew, it's hot!

foxspy

Established Member
Hey everyone,

I've had my Cobra for about 6 weeks and I'm daily driving it in Phoenix. Well, it's starting to get hot outside so I wanted to see what the coolant, IAT, and IAT2s were doing.

So using the Torque app for Android, I did some screen shots of the car on cruise control @72mph, then sitting at idle for a few minutes after I got home. There was no "spirited" driving at all, I'm afraid to after seeing the temps.

As for cooling mods, I have the head cooling mod, Riesche 170* stat w/ fans coming on as early as possible. I have the stock heat exchanger, but my Killer Chiller should be here this week. I also have a C&L intake, which seems to be like an oven. I wonder how a JLT High Boost would help with IAT1s. Would I need a retune with switching intakes?

Here's the weather.

emahana4.jpg

Here's the car on the highway at 72mph.

ysehyteq.jpg

Here's the car at idle for a couple minutes after getting home.

etabasy4.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

safado

bleed'n blue
Established Member
This why I don't even drive the cobra in the az heat... its flippen hot and we are just getting started.. the blanket was the fisrt thing I take off of them...

I'm surprised the engine temp is so high with the 170 t stat in it..

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Your IAT2 is about right for a OEM HE setup.

Here is my old car. 101 degrees ambient at the time I took this. Car up to full temp for 30 minutes. Just cruising and never went WOT. Took this screen shot.

My universal 3" core dual pass HE unboxed. OEM res & OEM pump (new one). A/C on too. 2.93 upper 4# lower unported Eaton. K&N FPIK RAI. I also had the 170 degree Reische Tstat.

IAT2-101TEMP.jpg

hotcobra03

Established Member
was ac on..you listed killer chiller coming?

i ask because ive been running hot..it happens more when above 100deg..

i had just gotten the 170*t-stat and tested before changing fan settings..

i dont have car enough during high temps to test..than issues happen after an hours drive

i still have blanket and hood vents stock..i refuse to throw parts at it..radiator has been suggested as issue but i find it strange i only run hot with ac on..without ac im seeing 182-188 at idle in 100deg weather..before tstat 200+

foxspy

Established Member
Yes, the A/C was on. I've tested A/C on vs off and the engine temp will decrease about 4* with it off.

I haven't installed the Killer Chiller yet, hopefully next week.

safado

bleed'n blue
Established Member
Your IAT2 is about right for a OEM HE setup.

Here is my old car. 101 degrees ambient at the time I took this. Car up to full temp for 30 minutes. Just cruising and never went WOT. Took this screen shot.

My universal 3" core dual pass HE unboxed. OEM res & OEM pump (new one). A/C on too. 2.93 upper 4# lower unported Eaton. K&N FPIK RAI. I also had the 170 degree Reische Tstat.

IAT2-101TEMP.jpg

thats quite a bit of difference.. I have always wondered how much of a difference a bigger Heat exchanger would make

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Yes, the A/C was on. I've tested A/C on vs off and the engine temp will decrease about 4* with it off.

I haven't installed the Killer Chiller yet, hopefully next week.

Those coolant temps are INSANE man:??: In the heat of summer my cruising temps are about 192, the highest it'll get is right under 200 when the Stat initially opens for the first time. I run the Stant #14138 180 degree with an 80/20 coolant mixture PLUS I got a BigAss Intercooler in front of the radiator:rolling:

foxspy

Established Member
Maybe I still have a little air in the system from putting the 170* stat in.

ZOSO

colorados baddest eaton
Established Member
Those coolant temps are INSANE man:??: In the heat of summer my cruising temps are about 192, the highest it'll get is right under 200 when the Stat initially opens for the first time. I run the Stant #14138 180 degree with an 80/20 coolant mixture PLUS I got a BigAss Intercooler in front of the radiator:rolling:

Big difference with humidity. It helps cool things off unlike the dry heat in arizona.

Mystic03

Established Member
This why I don't even drive the cobra in the az heat... its flippen hot and we are just getting started.. the blanket was the fisrt thing I take off of them...

I'm surprised the engine temp is so high with the 170 t stat in it..

+1 even at night my temps hit about 190 with the 170* its just too hot. it hit 112 here in tucson according to my g/f's car temp display

Last edited:

safado

bleed'n blue
Established Member
I haven't logged much.. but I do notice that with this car and the 170 the temp gauge stays left of center.. were as the other car that is stock stay right in the middle... I have the kiwi.. but was thinking of getting a new phone.. so i didn't buy torque yet... but i guess you buy it to your account and not to the phone itself?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I haven't logged much.. but I do notice that with this car and the 170 the temp gauge stays left of center.. were as the other car that is stock stay right in the middle... I have the kiwi.. but was thinking of getting a new phone.. so i didn't buy torque yet... but i guess you buy it to your account and not to the phone itself?
Don't count on that stock temp gauge for any true reading mine barely moves til the auto meter hits about 170:lol1:

foxspy

Established Member

Yes, you can buy it now, then it'll still be there to download to your new phone. It stays in your account, not a specific phone.

Users who are viewing this thread