Where to find the best belt?

beastmar

Established Member
So I have tried 2 gates belts and they both squeak on my cobra on start up. I had a gatorback belt before I changed out my pulleys and that never squeaked. Since it looks like it is harder to find these gatorback/ continental belts, are there any other belts you guys reccommend?

I have a 2.76 pulley with 3 100mm and 1 90mm metco dual idler pulley. My belt size should be a 75.5 correct?

Thanks SVTP!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had the same experience back some years ago when I had my Cobra. Gates belts would last at most two weeks and then they'd start to squeak/chirp. I finally switched to a Gatorback and never again had the problem re-occur. I'm a fan of the Goodyear Gatorback. Read this page on my website, in particular the bottom section.

I would definitely try a different brand belt.

bigmoose

Established Member
I've mentioned it in a few other posts how to stop gates from squeaking. All you have to do is lightly scuff the back of the belt an take the "shine" off. You do need to get 100% of the shine off as just a little patch can cause a squeak.

Before I did this it would squeak within a week or two of being new. It's been over a year since I've done this and not a peep since.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've mentioned it in a few other posts how to stop gates from squeaking. All you have to do is lightly scuff the back of the belt an take the "shine" off. You do need to get 100% of the shine off as just a little patch can cause a squeak.

Before I did this it would squeak within a week or two of being new. It's been over a year since I've done this and not a peep since.
Yeah, Moose, roughing up the "shine" does help a lot. I did the scuffing thing once. But the "shine" came back quickly. That's when I changed to a Gatorback. I actually thought that the issue (shine) might have been caused by the billet idlers/pulley coupled with a belt tension issue. Maybe some belt properties handle the tension better than others. Just a theory. No facts to back it up.

bigmoose

Established Member
Yeah, Moose, roughing up the "shine" does help a lot. I did the scuffing thing once. But the "shine" came back quickly. That's when I changed to a Gatorback. I actually thought that the issue (shine) might have been caused by the billet idlers/pulley coupled with a belt tension issue. Maybe some belt properties handle the tension better than others. Just a theory. No facts to back it up.
The first time I did this it helped alot but the squeak did come back quieter. I then did it a second time a little more aggressively and no noise in over a year and no sign of any shine coming back. The shine I'm talking about is the glaze that's on the belt from the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread