when do you need a larger maf?

20psirabbit

Established Member
so i did try to search, but the search on this board is kinda rough...
anyway, i'm doing bolt-ons onto my car, and i'm just curious when i need to add a larger maf? i have an sct x3, and i was looking at the sct mafs, just curious at what threshold i need one as i can obviously flash the car for it at anytime now, just trying to make sure i cover my supporting mods before adding power :thumbsup:
thank you gentlemen :)
oh, as i'm sure it will be asked, at this point my power setup eventually with either be ported eaton+bolt-ons, or a whipple, not quite sure yet, but i'm only realistically looking for a reliable 500whp or so

Last edited:

Oxford Snake

Established Member
Max counts is 1023. I prefer to be 1 - 2 counts away from max or no more than 1000 counts. I have seen cars with just an upper pulley push 1000 counts and then ported Eatons only push 980 or so. You would need to datalog your car to find out where you stand.

20psirabbit

Established Member
so realistically, i'd be better off to just buy a maf since i know for sure i'm going to at least pulley & port the charger, or possibly go to a whipple?

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
so realistically, i'd be better off to just buy a maf since i know for sure i'm going to at least pulley & port the charger, or possibly go to a whipple?

In all probability, the answer is "yes." However, all cars are a little bit different. I had to replace mine after just going to a 2.76 upper pulley (I believe I was around 415 RWHP at the time), but I've heard of other cars going over 450 RWHP with the stock MAF. :shrug:

Last edited:

redmustanggt17

Established Member
Yea i just got my car tuned today and almost pegged it. I only have 2.76 pulley and supporting mods. It was also on 32 here when it was getting tuned so the temp did play a factor. All cars are different and as oxford snake said your going to have to get it datalogged.

justa03SVT

Weekend Warrior
Established Member
Dont mean to hijack the thread but my question falls into the same category.

To shed a little light on my car I just bought it recently and it's an '03 with a ProCharger p1sc-2 kit. basically stock though except for that and 50lb injectors. Had it on the dyno today trying to get it tuned and it was pegging the stock maf. So I was kinda trying to decide to whether to go with the stock maf and a mafia extender or a SCT BA3000. What Im wondering is how much power would the stock maf with the mafia support? Which would have the better drivablity?

Thanks...

Oxford Snake

Established Member
Driveability is more so in the tune than the maf. The Mafia will extend the signal higher than that of the BA3000. Your best bet is to consult your tuner and see what they are more comfortable tuning with. Oh and the mafia is cheaper.

justa03SVT

Weekend Warrior
Established Member
Driveability is more so in the tune than the maf. The Mafia will extend the signal higher than that of the BA3000. Your best bet is to consult your tuner and see what they are more comfortable tuning with. Oh and the mafia is cheaper.

I was kind of leaning twoards the mafia price being one of the reasons. My tuner is more than capable of working with either one, Long term goal for my car is 700rwhp. So thats why I was wondering if it might be better to go with a new maf.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
avoid the MAFx, and go for the MAFia or the SCT2400. i was just at 1000 counts with my upper pulley, and needed the MAFx when i went with the ported blower

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
2.8 and a filter here and I pegged mine. I wouldn't go off other people's testimonials. Datalog.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
A larger maf or maf with more range is needed when you peg your stock piece. Usually you will peg it range wise before it ever becomes an airflow restriction, so just because there is a bigger one out there does not mean you need to put it on your car for more airflow.

I prefer to run the stock maf for as long as possible until it becomes a restriction or pegs, it's important to properly size a maf to an engine for the airflow level and horsepower. IE, a 90mm cobra maf is overkill on a supercharged focus, just like an SCT BA3000 would be overkill on a stock blower, stock pulley cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread