Wheels/tires/Ford GT heads or turbo kit??

samill2

sell? keep? sell? keep?
Established Member
A friend of mine has an '01 Cobra w/suspension mods (Kenny Brown coilovers, STB, K-Member, etc). He's about to spend $3000 on bigger SSR wheels and new Goodyears and another $3000 on Ford GT heads. His cars has 135kmi (highway) and he was told by "a Ford guy" that if he puts the new heads on his motor, he won't blow his bottom-end.

So now his question is should he spend $6000 on a turbo kit or $6000 on wheels, tires, and heads? His biggest concern is power delivery and handling. He thinks that Nitto DRs on his ~370hp Cobra is 1)not gonna be enough grip and 2)gonna compromise handling and ride. Opinions?

samill2

sell? keep? sell? keep?
Established Member
Anybody have experience comparing the handling characteristics of the NITTO DRs with other tires??

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
If he's worried about grip and cornering ability the Nitto NT555R II would be a good tire for him. It's got the same tread design and compound as the Nittor NT555R but with a stiffer sidewall designed for cars that participate in auto-x and open track style events.

The GT heads will help power production, especially down low. They aren't going to keep the bottom end from going if it's going to but that head is a very good head.

IF he's in to having a car that handles, definitely spend the money on the wheels, tires and heads.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
stock intake won't work with those heads, nor will the headers. the part about him not blowing his bottom end is bs.

also, a turbo kit will cost more than 6k.

samill2

sell? keep? sell? keep?
Established Member
Torch10th said:
If he's worried about grip and cornering ability the Nitto NT555R II would be a good tire for him. It's got the same tread design and compound as the Nittor NT555R but with a stiffer sidewall designed for cars that participate in auto-x and open track style events.

The GT heads will help power production, especially down low. They aren't going to keep the bottom end from going if it's going to but that head is a very good head.

IF he's in to having a car that handles, definitely spend the money on the wheels, tires and heads.

He's trying to solve two problems. 1)His neighbor just got a new EVO IX that he CAN NOT lose to, 2)He needs more grip without compromising handling.

The thought goes that the better heads, 17.5lb wheels (x4=12lbs less rolling weight than stock), and Goodyear tires will increase performance AND grip without compromising handling whereas the turbo kit would (of course) reduce grip and simply putting Nitto DRs on the rear would both compromise handling and not be sufficient for the new power.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
samill2 said:
He's trying to solve two problems. 1)His neighbor just got a new EVO IX that he CAN NOT lose to, 2)He needs more grip without compromising handling.

The thought goes that the better heads, 17.5lb wheels (x4=12lbs less rolling weight than stock), and Goodyear tires will increase performance AND grip without compromising handling whereas the turbo kit would (of course) reduce grip and simply putting Nitto DRs on the rear would both compromise handling and not be sufficient for the new power.

Like I said previous, Nitto NT555R II's. It will increase grip and handling. It's a road race DOT tire.

Be carefull with the lower eight wheel. Just because it's lighter doesn't mean you won't be slower. Rotating mass grows exponentially as diameter increases. A 17" wheel weighing 25 lbs will have less rotating mass than an 18" wheel weighing 25 lbs. You can really say that this wheel is lighter so it will have less rotational mass.

You do get the handling benefit of a generally stiffer sidewall with a larger diamter wheel and if it is lighter you also get the reduction in overall weight, and it's all unsprung. Acceleration could possibly suffer however.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
How much power is this evo IX making, because, if it is anywhere near stock all of those solutions are either overkill (turbo) or not cost effective (heads/wheels). Additionally, a turbo is going to require him going to forged pistons and rods to handle the boost. He could run low boost, but that sort of defeats the purpose.

Throw a 100 shot of nitrous on it and call it a day. $500-$800 and he is done.

Seriously though, what kind of person looks at spending $6K just so he doesn't lose?

Nazman

Established Member
$6000.00

.20 Over Build, Fully Forged o/a 10.5 CR
5 Angle Valve Job, Pocket Work on stock heads
FR500 Valvetrain Kit
Ported Intake
LT Headers
4.30s
100 Shot

Easy low 11s, 10s are possible with the right suspension.

Just my .02

Naz

Last edited:

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
The Gt heads wont do squat for him, while an intake will fit, the bolt holes/ports wont align, they're is no header and they've got way too much volume for a 4.6....

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
E. Green Cobra said:
The Gt heads wont do squat for him, while an intake will fit, the bolt holes/ports wont align, they're is no header and they've got way too much volume for a 4.6....

x2

The GT head is was designed for a 5.4 so the ports were designed to flow much more air than a 4.6 pulls in. So that previous comment about them increasing low end is absolutely incorrect.

Nitto DRs stink. BFG or MT are the only ones that really work...but the BFGs wear out very fast.

Let's see, 370rwhp should get 11s easily. What's he worried about? Throw on some drag radials and beat the crap out of it. If he can't get 11s with it he should get someone else to drive it.

Is his car n/a?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
na svt said:
x2

The GT head is was designed for a 5.4 so the ports were designed to flow much more air than a 4.6 pulls in. So that previous comment about them increasing low end is absolutely incorrect.

Nitto DRs stink. BFG or MT are the only ones that really work...but the BFGs wear out very fast.

Let's see, 370rwhp should get 11s easily. What's he worried about? Throw on some drag radials and beat the crap out of it. If he can't get 11s with it he should get someone else to drive it.

Is his car n/a?

You forgot that the owner is worries about loosing cornering ability. That why I mentioned the NT555R II (emphasis on II). It's a road-race tire with the same compound as the NT555R drag radial.

Meat&Potatos

Established Member
Seriously though, what kind of person looks at spending $6K just so he doesn't lose?[/QUOTE]

I guess a competative person. What kind of question is that?

Meat&Potatos

Established Member
E. Green Cobra said:

Not with a 3.75 darton wet sleeve and a 3.74 stroke its not.

Meat&Potatos

Established Member
Nazman said:
$6000.00

.20 Over Build, Fully Forged o/a 10.5 CR
5 Angle Valve Job, Pocket Work on stock heads
FR500 Valvetrain Kit
Ported Intake
LT Headers
4.30s
100 Shot

Easy low 11s, 10s are possible with the right suspension.

Just my .02

Naz

I agree, it deffinately looks like I'm going to need to rebuild the bottom end anyhow. :thumbsup:

Meat&Potatos

Established Member
Thnx Samill

For the record, and since I'm fairly new to this forum, the go fast parts list is below

Kenny Brown:
K-Member
Front A-arms
Front Bilstiens/Coils
Front Strut tower bar
Lower K Brace
Extreme matrix Kit
alluminum diff bushings
Forward torque brace
rear lower A arms
Rear Koni Adjustables/ coils
rear upper strut tower brace
Rear steer kit

WMS High velocity intake with 95 mm MAF
Bassani Mid headers
Bassani X pipe
3 inch MAC exaust

as far as go fast parts are concerned. :read:

Meat&Potatos

Established Member
na svt said:
x2

Is his car n/a?

I'm not worried about anything. What I'm trying to do is make a STATEMENT, and the best way to make a statement is Loud and Clear. the EVO must be PUNISHED - Catch my drift?!

And as far as the driving thing goes, well, I'll let you get away with that coment this time. Next time try to show some respect to your brothers in Mustangs. :bored:

Meat&Potatos

Established Member
You do get the handling benefit of a generally stiffer sidewall with a larger diamter wheel and if it is lighter you also get the reduction in overall weight, and it's all unsprung. Acceleration could possibly suffer however.[/QUOTE]

How would acceleration suffer with 3 more inches of rubber pushing backwards?

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Meat&Potatos said:
I'm not worried about anything. What I'm trying to do is make a STATEMENT, and the best way to make a statement is Loud and Clear. the EVO must be PUNISHED - Catch my drift?!

And as far as the driving thing goes, well, I'll let you get away with that coment this time. Next time try to show some respect to your brothers in Mustangs. :bored:

with 6 posts, maybe you should have some more respect.

as for your other post, the larger the wheel, the more weight it will have to turn, hence the slower accel.

Meat&Potatos

Established Member
quadcammer said:
with 6 posts, maybe you should have some more respect.

as for your other post, the larger the wheel, the more weight it will have to turn, hence the slower accel.

Look dude, I didn't start the flame, I'm just putting it out. Show respect, get respect. If you want to be a kiss up, be my guest.

As far as the wheels are concerned, well it depends on the design of the wheel. A wheel that has most of its mass in the center defeats your argument. Many wheels are designed this way.

Users who are viewing this thread