Wheel Dollies? - Winter Storage?

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Hey fellas i'm wanting to put my Cobra on wheel dollies for the winter and move it around in my garage to create more room. I have been looking a wheel dollies and my question is I have 10.5 in rear wheels with 315s on them and the wheel dollies I've looked at say they will support a 10' wide tire? Can I use this dollie or is it not big enough. Some wheel dollies have side edges that your tire will sit inside but some do not. I figured with the dollies that don't have this side edge would work even if my tires stick out a little on the sides? Any feedback from guys who use wheel dollies is appreciated.
:beer:

IA Shelby

Established Member
I recommend getting the heavy duty 16x16.

Not only do they easily have room for wide tires they allow for the car to be moved around a hell of a lot easier.

Go to northern tool and read some buyers reviews. Spend the extra cash and have a quality part that will last a life time.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
I recommend getting the heavy duty 16x16.
Not only do they easily have room for wide tires they allow for the car to be moved around a hell of a lot easier.
Go to northern tool and read some buyers reviews. Spend the extra cash and have a quality part that will last a life time.
Never heard of "Northern Tool"? I will check it out. Should I look for 3" or 3.5" caster wheels?

IA Shelby

Established Member

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
i have the h.b. freight dollies think i used them once now they sit in the shed.
So glad you commented cause this is probably going to happen to me. :nonono:
You made me stop and think :beer: I may still do it to create some space and keep tires up off cold floor during winter.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
I have dollies. However I use them to put my car where I want it and then jack the car up and remove them. I personally would not leave my tires in them all Winter (here anyways - end of Oct to April / May).

Last edited:

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member

Not sure what type you have, however mine have raised and rounded nuts on the four corners of the tire bearing surface. I do not want them digging into my drag radials for 6 - 7 months continuous.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Not sure what type you have, however mine have raised and rounded nuts on the four corners of the tire bearing surface. I do not want them digging into my drag radials for 6 - 7 months continuous.
I haven't bought them yet but I know what you're talking about. I see those nuts on the four corners and I was wondering, do the tires sit in between the nuts? Surely the nuts are not poking the tires? I run 315 DRs too and i can't have them sitting on a nut for a couple months! Why would the manufactures have this design?

IA Shelby

Established Member
I haven't bought them yet but I know what you're talking about. I see those nuts on the four corners and I was wondering, do the tires sit in between the nuts? Surely the nuts are not poking the tires? I run 315 DRs too and i can't have them sitting on a nut for a couple months! Why would the manufactures have this design?

That is why 16x16

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member

On mine, which I bought in Utah at Harbourfreight tools.
The 315's I have on the rear would not fit between the nuts. Up front it was tight but seems to me they fit.

Description

Constructed of sturdy steel, these car dollies are designed to withstand the weight of your car for easy maneuverability. Each car dolly individually can hold up to 1,500 lbs. and feature four swivel casters to allow you to shift and move your project anywhere in your garage with ease. These rust-resistant car dollies are a must-have for anyone working on a car at home and the professional auto worker alike!
•Heavy duty steel construction for strength and durability
•Each car dolly has four swivel casters, 2 standard and 2 with locking brakes
•1500 lbs. maximum load capacity each
•Rust resistant finish
Max load capacity: 1500 lb. each
Overall dimensions: 16" L x 11-7/8" W x 4" H

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Spend the money for good ones. The Harbor Freight ones I bought had shitty casters that were not perfectly round and it was a Muther****er to get the car to roll in a straight line and forget about trying to change directions. I would also opt for the bigger 3.5 castor since it will be easier to roll and maneuver verses the smaller diameter castor.

Ken

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Thanks IA Shelby. I ended up going with the 16X16 dollies from Northern Tool and I'm happy with them. Got my stang up off the floor and tucked away for winter! :beer:
StangonWheelDollies-1.gif

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
I wanted wheel dollies that would handle 13" wide tires. So I got the GoJack 6200 Wheel Dollies. And also the rolling stand for them.

I spotted them mispriced on the internet 8 years ago so I grabbed them right away. Set of 4 and the rolling stand for them was just under $400.00 delivered. Best wheel dollies I have ever seen. Nothing contacts the rubber except the rollers. And they can lift the car up about four inches.

GoJak G6200 Go Jack 6200 Self Loading Automotive Dolly

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
I wanted wheel dollies that would handle 13" wide tires. So I got the GoJack 6200 Wheel Dollies. And also the rolling stand for them.

I spotted them mispriced on the internet 8 years ago so I grabbed them right away. Set of 4 and the rolling stand for them was just under $400.00 delivered. Best wheel dollies I have ever seen. Nothing contacts the rubber except the rollers. And they can lift the car up about four inches.

GoJak G6200 Go Jack 6200 Self Loading Automotive Dolly

I have the same dollies. I just installed an old set of wheels then used the dollies to roll the car over and up against the wall. Then I let the jacks down so the car is on the ground. It works great.

Users who are viewing this thread