What's your sanity check?

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
In my job, and life, there are times when I have to know if I'm hitting on all twelve cylinders in my thought processes. Or even more importantly, if I'm not. Accordingly, I have what I call "sanity checks," something you think of before you make any kind of important, irreversible decision. Especially those where the downside, if you're wrong, could be calamitous.

I'll do square roots, cube roots, fifth roots. Or think things that I know are wrong, and see if suddenly they sound like a good idea. And if they do, you know to just hang loose and defer that decision when you're thinking more clearly.

64: square root is 8, cube root is 4. Check.

125: 5 cubed. Check.

1,889,568: 18 to the fifth. Check.

X-rays and gamma rays do not reflect off mirrors except at very narrow oblique angles. Check.

Coffee, beer and radiological accuracy are not mutually exclusive concepts. Oops, time to go home, Jim. (this last one was inspired just this evening by our own Jimmy Sidecar)

So what are yours?

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
English is the preferred language on this forum.

Although... I used to place engineers once upon a time.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
In my job, and life, there are times when I have to know if I'm hitting on all twelve cylinders in my thought processes. Or even more importantly, if I'm not. Accordingly, I have what I call "sanity checks," something you think of before you make any kind of important, irreversible decision. Especially those where the downside, if you're wrong, could be calamitous.

I'll do square roots, cube roots, fifth roots. Or think things that I know are wrong, and see if suddenly they sound like a good idea. And if they do, you know to just hang loose and defer that decision when you're thinking more clearly.

X-rays and gamma rays do not reflect off mirrors except at very narrow oblique angles. Check.

Coffee, beer and radiological accuracy are not mutually exclusive concepts. Oops, time to go home, Jim. (this last one was inspired just this evening by our own Jimmy Sidecar)

So what are yours?
Mr. Snover, I see you haven’t lost it you smart old dog :).
I understand where you’re coming. Tasks can be monotonous therefor I slap check myself and look thoroughly on the machine I’m on. More so because it hovers and people are on it. If they find a foreign object and it belongs to you, that’s your ass!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I think about the nasty steel urinal trough that had water spraying from a bar that ran its length continuously in a old titty bar I went to when I was young, it helps me go when my prostrate is pissing me off.

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
So Elon is the evil genius are you his sidekick?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

fangstang

Established Member
e65.gif

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I think about the nasty steel urinal trough that had water spraying from a bar that ran its length continuously in a old titty bar I went to when I was young, it helps me go when my prostrate is pissing me off.
Lol, I have 2 years on you. No problems with that though.
I do remember those troughs too.

Machdup1

Established Member

So what are yours?

I bet you wake up every day and piss execellance.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I bet you wake up every day and piss execellance.
No, I still screw up by the numbers. It's amazing how many opportunities the universe provides us to be wrong.

I shudder to think what my life would be like without the sanity check, though!

Users who are viewing this thread