What's your daily routine?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
As the years go on it seems like everyday just blends into each other. I usually get into work at 5:30AM and I don't leave my office until at least 4:30/5. I do paperwork almost all day. It's the definition of insanity, doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results. The small free time I have at the end of the day gets devoted to my family. I get maybe an hour or two of free time before I pass out at night.

My business is my family inheritance so changing my situation is out of the cards.

You guys living the office life, do you ever get seriously sick of it?
What are some things you do to numb the monotony?

I want to hear from you retired guys too

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
What industry are you in? Seems surely there are tools out there that could reduce your workload. Even if you need to pay someone to design some excel files, run macros, whatever the case may be.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
What industry are you in? Seems surely there are tools out there that could reduce your workload. Even if you need to pay someone to design some excel files, run macros, whatever the case may be.
waste & recycling
the paperwork I need to do everyday is invoicing customers for on call services, billing all the extras, updating routes, but ultimately I'm a glorified babysitter of 50 people who call themselves adults

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm a calibration technician for the government. It can be extremely tedious at times. I'm up at 4:30. Usually parking around 5:30. Work doesn't start until 6, but I'll usually come in early just to enjoy the peace before I hear my name called 500 times. Off at 2:30 and I'll be at the gym by 3:30. That's 1-1.5 hours depending how motivated I am that day. Thankfully home is about 1 mile from the gym. I tend get home as the wife is walking out of her "office". Dinner and a couple hours of TV time then off to bed. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I'm currently waiting for an offer for another position. It's a partial telecommute so at least I'd get the change up of not having to go in every day.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm a calibration technician for the government. It can be extremely tedious at times. I'm up at 4:30. Usually parking around 5:30. Work doesn't start until 6, but I'll usually come in early just to enjoy the peace before I hear my name called 500 times. Off at 2:30 and I'll be at the gym by 3:30. That's 1-1.5 hours depending how motivated I am that day. Thankfully home is about 1 mile from the gym. I tend get home as the wife is walking out of her "office". Dinner and a couple hours of TV time then off to bed. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I'm currently waiting for an offer for another position. It's a partial telecommute so at least I'd get the change up of not having to go in every day.
If I were able to leave earlier in the day I think the burden of feeling trapped like a rat would ease a little

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
I have found that I like routine as I have gotten older, but I am in a very different position - other than sitting behind a computer all day. I can take leave pretty much anytime, I don't really supervise anyone except myself. But it can be very mundane and life sucking at times...

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Up at 4:15 am, leave the house at 5 am on an hour long commute on dark country deer filled roads, start work at 6 am. Leave work at 2:30 pm, get home at 3:45 pm. Wife, kids, dogs, TV. Lay down at 8:30 pm, asleep by 9 pm. Rinse, repeat 5 days a week.

CobraG

Established Member
I'm up at 0400 for 30 mins of free time. Wake the wife up at 0430, we both get ready for work. Drive 30 mins to work, work day is 0600-2 unless one of us needs to stay later, then it's until that person is off. Drive 30 mins home, workout 30 mins to an hour. Take care of dogs, make dinner, usually Hello Fresh or Home Chef. Eat dinner while watching a show. Clean up and take care of dogs, then off to bed. Rinse and repeat 5 days a week.
We have 7 dogs and 2 cats so we spend a lot of time on them and cleaning the house! (Foster fails on the dogs) We've both said we won't ever have this many dogs again! We love them but they take a lot of time.

We're both retired Air Force and both feel like we do more now than we did active duty.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm up at 0400 for 30 mins of free time. Wake the wife up at 0430, we both get ready for work. Drive 30 mins to work, work day is 0600-2 unless one of us needs to stay later, then it's until that person is off. Drive 30 mins home, workout 30 mins to an hour. Take care of dogs, make dinner, usually Hello Fresh or Home Chef. Eat dinner while watching a show. Clean up and take care of dogs, then off to bed. Rinse and repeat 5 days a week.
We have 7 dogs and 2 cats so we spend a lot of time on them and cleaning the house! (Foster fails on the dogs) We've both said we won't ever have this many dogs again! We love them but they take a lot of time.

We're both retired Air Force and both feel like we do more now than we did active duty.
lol hear that, we have 20 horses, 4 dogs, 5 cats, a goat and a baby on the way to top it off

CobraG

Established Member
Never mind, you make our 7 dogs and 2 cats look easy! Congratulations on the baby!

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Data Engineer who works remotely.

Wake up at 7am, do some coding…daily meeting mid morning…go to gym…do more coding…do whatever I want…do more coding….etc…

It gets old but every “job”’ would. I don’t even consider my job a “real job”. I know I’m a spoiled software engineer and I deserve every bit of criticism we get, especially from blue collar workers. It pays the bills and little extra.

One day I’ll have a real job but for now why change it…

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member

Wake up at 7am, do some coding…daily meeting mid morning…go to gym…do more coding…do whatever I want…do more coding….etc…

It gets old but every “job”’ would. I don’t even consider my job a “real job”. I know I’m a spoiled software engineer and I deserve every bit of criticism we get, especially from blue collar workers. It pays the bills and little extra.

1686849467533.jpeg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have found that I like routine as I have gotten older, but I am in a very different position - other than sitting behind a computer all day. I can take leave pretty much anytime, I don't really supervise anyone except myself. But it can be very mundane and life sucking at times...
I hear an echo! LOL. My daytime routine sounds eerily similar to yours. I used to supervise 5 staff but we're down to 4 total staff, including myself. I work a half day on Monday and I don't work on Fridays. I can get time off pretty much as/when needed.

My regular routine is spent mostly behind my computer taking care of finances and bookkeeping, with a smattering of spreadsheet and Microsoft Word stuff. I'm also the computer tech my wife and her co-worker call on when they have computer/software issues. Oh, and the occasional maintenance work as needed, although it really isn't very much as I'm done with that stuff. LOL. Lunch is always extended to usually 2 hours. When you're working a monotonous job, a long lunch hour is a salvation! So my usual day is arrive here at 9:30am-10:00am, lunch from 12:30pm - 2:30pm, and then we leave for the day at 4:00pm.

While the job really is monotonous, I do take a lot of breaks throughout the day minimize the monotony. For example, I'm online again at SVTP checking the forums and posting. So I really can't complain! I'm blessed actually.

01yellercobra

Established Member
While the job really is monotonous, I do take a lot of breaks throughout the day minimize the monotony. For example, I'm online again at SVTP checking the forums and posting. So I really can't complain! I'm blessed actually.
I'd say 99% of my posting is while I'm at work. I have some stuff that can take all of my attention, but then I get the stuff that runs automated and I just have to make sure it doesn't fry itself.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I'm pretty much in the same boat as the rest of you.

Get up at 6. In the office by 7. Work a straight 8. I'm an Intelligence Analyst. So, I'm reading and writing all day long (basically live on the computer). I conduct briefings on occasion and "try" to predict any possible changes in patterns or threats that could impact operations. It's a cool job as I come up with my own thesis or hypothesis and then have to use my data to support my point or argument. Then my bosses can use the information I provided to make changes to the operational posture or not.........

I leave the office at 3. I'm an empty nester and don't have any pets (Damn.... with some of you guys on the number of pets you have LMAO). The wife and I sit at the dinning room table and talk while dinner is being made and we converse while we eat. After that we clean up and then I spend time doing or watching whatever I want and wife does the same.

So, I'm either in the garage messing with the cars, working on my diecast collection or watching action or car movies. Then in bed by 10 earliest or 11 latest. As you guys say rinse and repeat 5 days a week.

My commute is 15 minutes both ways as I leave early enough to beat morning and afternoon traffic. I get off early enough that I have time to take care of chores that might otherwise be done on the weekend.

I love my job and my life at this point in time. However, when I was in the military and trying to deal with deployments, raising a family and paying the bills on my income it was very stressful at times. I've learned how to balance work and home life and I make a comfortable living between my paycheck and military retirement.

And I also have time, while at work, to view and post on SVTP :D...

I've been through my share of trials and tribulations, but life is good for me at this point in time..........

4.698gt

Established Member
Retail store manager
Alarm at 5:45, wake up before it everyday(days off included). Shower and breakfast. Opening shift, commute to work starting at 630am. Get to work, do the normal, paperwork and money stuff. Assist customers, reset displays, put away stock and general cleaning. Alot of baby sitting people age 19 to 70. Mostly good crew, friendly and courteous to the customer so not much in the way of complaints. Generally not a hectic life, gotten a couple of awards a vacation on the company dime. Looking at another this year if our last fiscal quarter goes well.

Saleen498

Established Member
Up at 530. On the road by 6, sit in boston traffic for 2 hours and contemplate leaving my van full of narcotics in the middle of I95 and walk home. First stop by 9am, last stop at noon. Home by noon thirty and stay on call for airfreight work. Some days I'm home all afternoon and night, others I'm on the road between Logan and various stops all day.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
Up at 6, sitting at the station by 7. About an hour and 1/2 for workout. Shift change at 9. Make calls/train/workout/nap as time allows for the next 24 hours. Usually up at 6 again for another run or workout before shift change. Then 48 hours of home time to play with the kiddo or get stuff done around the house. Back at it every third day.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member

Pretty much the same story here! WFH, up by 7, mostly do software QA testing, but have since been taking on development tasks to keep myself busy/increase my knowledge/contribute more. It's almost like being your own boss without all the overhead/stress/etc. I tested a couple tickets this morning, kicked off an automation run to validate a few things and mowed the yard while that was going.

Users who are viewing this thread