Whats up y'all? I'm new here and got some questions

Austin_9819

Established Member
OK as I said I'm new here so I'm trying to figure everything out. I'm about to turn 18 in a few days and that opens up a good job opportunity for myself... thus me being able to save up for my dream car, the great Terminator :)

I'm not an expert at all when it comes to stuff under the Hood and it makes me mad sometimes because I'm left out of conversations because my lack of knowledge, hopefully that will change in the coming years because I'm looking into going to UTI to become an automotive technician..

So the question I have now has to do with superchargers. When I get my Terminator it will be a street only car and it will be daily driven, I'm wondering if I should keep the KB or get a procharger. I heard the procharger has more high end tq while the KB has more low end tq with a broader powerband. I love the way KB's sound and the instant tq you get from them but honestly I've been looking at procharged cobra and it's really caught my interest... it's just something about when the boost kicks in and you're gone haha.. So my question is which would be better for a street car? A KB OR PC? I believe in the saying "spinning isn't winning" and it would seem to me a KB wouldn't hook as well as a procharger would... what are your thoughts on this? I'm sorry this thread is so long I love talking about this stuff lol

cobra_neill

Established Member
Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
Hey dude.

From a guy who has a 98 cobra, the lack of torque is irritating. Having driven a centrifugal supercharged mustang the feeling is similar having to wait for the car to kick. The roots type Eaton or twin screw KB is more suitable for daily use if you ask my humble opinion because of the fact the power is instant and let's face it... On the street you will not want to keep your car at high revs just to make it feel powerful.

Neill

Austin_9819

Established Member
Hey dude.

From a guy who has a 98 cobra, the lack of torque is irritating. Having driven a centrifugal supercharged mustang the feeling is similar having to wait for the car to kick. The roots type Eaton or twin screw KB is more suitable for daily use if you ask my humble opinion because of the fact the power is instant and let's face it... On the street you will not want to keep your car at high revs just to make it feel powerful.

Neill

Yeah I kind of see what you're saying. s a procharger a "centrifugal" supercharger?

Sirraf

Established Member
Hey new guy, it's customary to make your first post in smackdown and tell everyone about yourself, post pics of girlfriend, etc.

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
Welcome to the site! start spending time in he terminator section, terminator talk is a good place to start.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
VMP TVS. That's what I'll eventually get. Also jmo I'd avoid UTI and go to local college or start at a shop and see if they will train you.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Welcome, as mentioned, be sure to checkout the Terminator forum and read the stickies, they will have a lot of good info in them and will answer a lot of questions you may have.

As mentioned above, a Procharger is a centrifugal supercharger. (Also Vortech and Paxton make centrifugal blowers)

A stock Terminator comes with an Eaton supercharger, which is a positive displacement supercharger. A lot of guys do upgrade to a Kenne Bell, TVS or Whipple blower, which are more efficient than the Eaton due to better rotor design.

If you do get a Terminator, it will just be easier to upgrade to a KB, TVS or Whipple. If you get any other Mustang it may be easier to go with a centrifugal blower.

As you already know, there are positives and negatives to each type of blower. Don't automatically write off centrifugal blowers as the right suspension, gearing and tune can really make those cars haul ass.

Austin_9819

Established Member
Welcome, as mentioned, be sure to checkout the Terminator forum and read the stickies, they will have a lot of good info in them and will answer a lot of questions you may have.

As mentioned above, a Procharger is a centrifugal supercharger. (Also Vortech and Paxton make centrifugal blowers)

A stock Terminator comes with an Eaton supercharger, which is a positive displacement supercharger. A lot of guys do upgrade to a Kenne Bell, TVS or Whipple blower, which are more efficient than the Eaton due to better rotor design.

If you do get a Terminator, it will just be easier to upgrade to a KB, TVS or Whipple. If you get any other Mustang it may be easier to go with a centrifugal blower.

As you already know, there are positives and negatives to each type of blower. Don't automatically write off centrifugal blowers as the right suspension, gearing and tune can really make those cars haul ass.

Thanks for all the info man just learned something new! For a minute there I thought KB was stock on a cobra because you hear that 20x more often than a Eaton.. guess that really shows how popular it is

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Op, I wouldn't get to hung up on the type of blower you want just yet. Get the car and get a feel for it and you will get to exoerience first hand what a positive displacement blower is like. Think of a Cintrifugal supercharger like a turbo with a belt driving it instead if the exhaust gasses, and it has similar characteristics. I bought my Terminator when I had just turned 19. I had all the same plans for the car you did but after getting it I realized there was a lot more as far as supporting mods and basic bolt ons that added up, but made the car an animal by the time I sold it. Start looking into the basics first, have fun getting acquainted with the power, and look at the blowers for later on.

As far as schooling goes, at our shop we have two mechanics, both ASE certified, and neither went through UTI or any school like that. My best friend started out at 17 changing oil at a Ford dealer, then a Honda dealer who sent him through their entire program and he ended up being the youngest Mastertech for Honda at like 22. He said guys that came from UTI to their dealership were put in the oil change service center. There's always an exception to the rule but the overall view of UTI graduates in the real world of automotive service is pretty negative it seems. The plus side to having the manufacturer school you in their programs is that you dont have to pay for it! My friend was making $80k at 22 years old when he left the dealer with no college debt to pay back. He branched out to do what we are doing now but that past career has set him up for success.

Last edited:

Austin_9819

Established Member
Op, I wouldn't get to hung up on the type of blower you want just yet. Get the car and get a feel for it and you will get to exoerience first hand what a positive displacement blower is like. Think of a Cintrifugal supercharger like a turbo with a belt driving it instead if the exhaust gasses, and it has similar characteristics. I bought my Terminator when I had just turned 19. I had all the same plans for the car you did but after getting it I realized there was a lot more as far as supporting mods and basic bolt ons that added up, but made the car an animal by the time I sold it. Start looking into the basics first, have fun getting acquainted with the power, and look at the blowers for later on.

As far as schooling goes, at our shop we have two mechanics, both ASE certified, and neither went through UTI or any school like that. My best friend started out at 17 changing oil at a Ford dealer, then a Honda dealer who sent him through their entire program and he ended up being the youngest Mastertech for Honda at like 22. He said guys that came from UTI to their dealership were put in the oil change service center. There's always an exception to the rule but the overall view of UTI graduates in the real world of automotive service is pretty negative it seems. The plus side to having the manufacturer school you in their programs is that you dont have to pay for it! My friend was making $80k at 22 years old when he left the dealer with no college debt to pay back. He branched out to do what we are doing now but that past career has set him up for success.

Is there anyway I can contact you man? Like an email or something? I'd like to ask you a few questions regarding school. Its a big step and I really need to know what I'm getting myself into.. and you seem to know what you're talking about.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
You can PM me on here but I am only giving you second hand info; Im just the office guy who tinkers around with cars lol. I know there are a lot of ASE certified guys on here though. But feel free to PM me with any questions and I will answer what I can.

TJSwoboda

Established Member
You weren't even five when I came onto this board... (hangs self)
crazy.gif

Speedboosted

Established Member

Do you work at TMS?

Users who are viewing this thread