What's that screw on the BOV?

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
Hi Linn. Yea, you guys did a great job on my Whipple tune a few years back when I got back from Iraq.

I recently got a dyno tune, so I am running safely now. I am just having some problems troubleshooting a few little things.

I know you guys kick ass on the positive displacement blower stuff, but how are you at troubleshooting turbo's? ( I would give you a call and ask, but I can't call long distance on the gov't phone in my office).

we have 2 excellent install techs and are doing a Hellion kit and built motor 03 Cobra install right now..give us a call when you have a chance..who did the work on your turbo install and the tune?

Last edited:

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
we have 2 excellent install techs and are doing a Hellion kit and built motor 03 Cobra install right now..give us a call when you have a chance..who did the work on your turbo install and the tune?

Roberts Automotive did the install here in Charleston. His shop had lots of recommendations from most of the Mustang crowd here. Chris Tuten in Columbia did the tune. I'm not real happy with the tune right now because I should be making lots more power at this boost level(16psi). You can see that flat spot after 5100rpm. I think I'm losing boost somewhere.

dynorun.jpg

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

I would just take the BOV off and bring it to the hardware store and pick up some small screws. you can use some blue loc tite instead of the jam nuts.

on the stalling, that is common, but easily fixable in the tune. putting washers in the BOV will also help. I know jon lund knows exactly what to do with it.

on the gain, that does not change boost amount. Set changes boost amount and gain changes how the boost comes on and spools.

good luck and let me know if you have anymore questions.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
I would just take the BOV off and bring it to the hardware store and pick up some small screws. you can use some blue loc tite instead of the jam nuts.

on the stalling, that is common, but easily fixable in the tune. putting washers in the BOV will also help. I know jon lund knows exactly what to do with it.

on the gain, that does not change boost amount. Set changes boost amount and gain changes how the boost comes on and spools.

good luck and let me know if you have anymore questions.

That's what I will end up doing. It looks like it should be way easier to get off than the wastegate (at least I only have to undo one screw:kaboom:

Yea, I know set is boost. I never really paid attention to the Gain settings. But, once I adjusted it I got all my boost to the intake. According to the manual, gain effects how fast the turbo responds. I have no idea how, but it is what the manual says.

Last edited:

SVTboy

Established Member
Two questions, did you ever confirm that it is a 76mm turbo and not something smaller? I might have missed it but what boost controller are you using??

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
i'd bring it to amazon..if you have the time/money to do it. Don't want to spike too much and end up with a bigger problem.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
i'd bring it to amazon..if you have the time/money to do it. Don't want to spike too much and end up with a bigger problem.

Yep, once I save up the money I plan on dropping it off. Hopefully I can just drop it off and have all the problems taken care of at once.

SVTboy

Established Member
On the box the turbo was in it said it was a T76.

Well, the box that my "76" came in also said 76, a year later I find out it was a 66..... You should really look into it, get the serial number off the back of the turbo and call turbonetics.....

I would also trust your mechanical boost gauge over the controller....

Last edited:

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
Yep, once I save up the money I plan on dropping it off. Hopefully I can just drop it off and have all the problems taken care of at once.

Sounds like a plan..I'd just leave it up to them..they deal with this stuff all the time. Good luck with it:thumbsup:

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
The gain on your controller should be used to dial in your boost level such that once you reach peak boost, it doesn't fall off. In other words, should you get into wot and reach max boost and then it falls off significantly, then you will want to increase your gain.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
Well, the box that my "76" came in also said 76, a year later I find out it was a 66..... You should really look into it, get the serial number off the back of the turbo and call turbonetics.....

I would also trust your mechanical boost gauge over the controller....

I tried calling turbonetics with the serial # (T19751). The guy said it wasn't on his computer. I would think they would have kept better records.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
The gain on your controller should be used to dial in your boost level such that once you reach peak boost, it doesn't fall off. In other words, should you get into wot and reach max boost and then it falls off significantly, then you will want to increase your gain.

Cool, I was wondering what the point of that setting was. Thanks.

TRBO VNM

I tried calling turbonetics with the serial # (T19751). The guy said it wasn't on his computer. I would think they would have kept better records.

apparently at some point they changed their computer systems and I think the old records weren't copied over. I think you said you bought the kit from UPR. to confirm you might need to take some measurements of the wheels.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
apparently at some point they changed their computer systems and I think the old records weren't copied over. I think you said you bought the kit from UPR. to confirm you might need to take some measurements of the wheels.

How difficult will that be? Do I just have to disconnect the pipe that has my Mass air meter on it and measure that opening?

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member

just give me a call when you are ready and I will get you on the schedule...you can drop off whenever it is convenient for you....we will go over it and iron out any issues that you are having..we get alot of problem vehicles in here that have been from shop to shop and no one can find out what is wrong..Rick and the boys have it on the road in no time..

TRBO VNM

How difficult will that be? Do I just have to disconnect the pipe that has my Mass air meter on it and measure that opening?

yeah, you can do that for he cold side. that is a good start. pm SVTboy. since he just did this, he should have the numbers handy of what it should be or shouldn't be.

Users who are viewing this thread