What's going on with the foxbody mustang prices?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm seriously looking at buying another fox in the future. But with the prices, I don't know if I should wait or jump on something?

I also don't have a bigger garage yet, but the wife says soon. So if I got one at a good price, I'd have to store it at a buddies or rent a storage unit.

I sold my 92 medium titanium metallic coupe back in 09 for 10.5k. who knows what it would be worth now. Factory 5.0, 5 spd, and factory ac delete. Only had 39k miles.

carpics497ers.jpg

DSC01211.jpg

DSC01220.jpg

DSC01232.jpg

DSC01225.jpg

DSC01212.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ToddW702

Established Member
I,d wait for the garage. But I haven’t been looking at the prices on Fox bodies lately. I can’t imagine they would shoot up that much while waiting. Or break down the math on storage and see if you think the prices will go up more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I,d wait for the garage. But I haven’t been looking at the prices on Fox bodies lately. I can’t imagine they would shoot up that much while waiting. Or break down the math on storage and see if you think the prices will go up more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
That's what I'm thinking. I know a guy that will be selling his 88 gt for 5k. No rust, but has the usual 30 year old car issues.

Look on eBay, some beat up ones have bids in the low teen's. Other ones are asking upper teen's and even more!

blubyu87gt

Established Member
Ebay isn't a really good place to price cars. A lot if variables go into them. Off the top of my head:

The car might be worth 3-4k more than where you're from, for example.

They probably figure the nationwide exposure makes asking more is viable.

There is the whole buy it now. A lot if people set the BIN pricing a lot higher when it's also in an auction format. Just in case that person with deep pockets comes along that has to have it now, without competition.

Ebay, if I recall, will take like 10% then PayPal takes a cut off the sale price. Most sellers probably take that into account when pricing.

Finally.... Most people just think their shit is worth way ****ing more than it really is. Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
As much as we thought these were the pinnacle of performance back in the day, let's be honest, from a vehicle dynamics perspective these cars were pretty bad. Horsepower levels were 1/3 of the most recent last GT500. Drum brakes out back and tiny discs at the fore end. The torque capacity of the T5 was abysmal. The list goes on. Yet when they are looked back upon it is undoubtedly with a sense that they brought quite a bit to the table.

IMHO, if you want to find a near stock low mile Fox body, you are stuck with deficiencies from one end to the other and are likely to pay a pretty penny. But hey, to each his own. When I see a Fox body for sale I already see it gutted and re-equipped with just about everything aftermarket. And as everyone knows, you can completely transform the 1978 era chassis to one much better suited for drag or road course duty with liberal use of the credit card. And whether you stick with a Windsor based engine, a modular one, and LS, etc, there are a multitude of driveline combinations that make for a modern day beast.

So I struggle with seeing these in stock format or restored to such when they have so much potential. I don't view a given Fox for sale in terms of what it is but rather what it could be. So regarding price, my biggest concern is a clean, rust-free chassis. After that, the sky is the limit.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I've always preferred the dash layout and interior of the Fox cars to the SN95. If I could ever buy one, I would.

Nukem1040

Established Member
That's what I'm thinking. I know a guy that will be selling his 88 gt for 5k. No rust, but has the usual 30 year old car issues.

Look on eBay, some beat up ones have bids in the low teen's. Other ones are asking upper teen's and even more!

I will never own a 88 or older. No MAF. That’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I sold my 86GT a little over a year ago and have been looking for a clean, stock, low mile fox Saleen. I would however be interested in the same condition 89-93 coupe as I haven't had one of those since 1992. Those cars are bringing close to the same amount with the Saleen being a little higher, and harder to find. I'd say if you find one you like you better snag it, who knows how crazy this market will get.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I'm seriously looking at buying another fox in the future. But with the prices, I don't know if I should wait or jump on something?

I also don't have a bigger garage yet, but the wife says soon. So if I got one at a good price, I'd have to store it at a buddies or rent a storage unit.

I sold my 92 medium titanium metallic coupe back in 09 for 10.5k. who knows what it would be worth now. Factory 5.0, 5 spd, and factory ac delete. Only had 39k miles.

That car would easily fetch $18-20K in todays market.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Fox prices are going to keep going up. If you see a good one for a decent price I’d jump on it.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
It's not that hard to change over.

Exactly. At least the '88 and older cars (including '89) had a tilt wheel available. The '90 and later fixed steering wheel/airbag setup was pretty sad. Thankfully, that can be resolved easily enough as well.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Exactly. At least the '88 and older cars (including '89) had a tilt wheel available. The '90 and later fixed steering wheel/airbag setup was pretty sad. Thankfully, that can be resolved easily enough as well.

There's also multiple stand alone units available now for the foxbody's.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
That car would easily fetch $18-20K in todays market.
This is what I was thinking too. Crazy that's terminator prices. And some think the 03-04 cobra won't go up much once they are 30 years old.
Fox prices are going to keep going up. If you see a good one for a decent price I’d jump on it.
This is what I'm thinking. If I find one I like at a decent price, I may have to even if I don't have my garage done.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
And I see a member on here asking 11k for a 91 gt with 117k miles.

I know you can always ask a price and what it sells for can be a different story.

trxcobra

Established Member
Ford fanatic's estimate on the OP's car of $18-20k is just about spot on

The market is pretty wide right now given the range of condition on these cars, but I don't see any downside risk in scooping up a clean lower mile car (partially wishful thinking since I just bought one!)

Since picking up my 32k mile notchback, I have received tons of praise about the car and countless people saying how they have always wanted one but never see nice examples. These cars were the high school dream for many in the 25-35 age group... Demand will keep going up and supply is only getting lower.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Ford fanatic's estimate on the OP's car of $18-20k is just about spot on

The market is pretty wide right now given the range of condition on these cars, but I don't see any downside risk in scooping up a clean lower mile car (partially wishful thinking since I just bought one!)

Since picking up my 32k mile notchback, I have received tons of praise about the car and countless people saying how they have always wanted one but never see nice examples. These cars were the high school dream for many in the 25-35 age group... Demand will keep going up and supply is only getting lower.
Some good points and congratulations on your new ride. For me it's not in my budget right now to spend 10-15k on another car. I want a decent one with no rust, but not so nice that I don't want to drive it. Higher miles don't bother me because I'd maybe rebuild the engine down the road. 5-6k max.

trxcobra

Established Member
Some good points and congratulations on your new ride. For me it's not in my budget right now to spend 10-15k on another car. I want a decent one with no rust, but not so nice that I don't want to drive it. Higher miles don't bother me because I'd maybe rebuild the engine down the road. 5-6k max.

Thanks. For a notchback I would say you will be very lucky to find something rust-free and problem-free for $5-6k. I know of a few 120k+ mile rust-free but not pristine cars that have sold around $12k recently. Good luck with the search though, keep you eye open and be ready to jump on something!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks. For a notchback I would say you will be very lucky to find something rust-free and problem-free for $5-6k. I know of a few 120k+ mile rust-free but not pristine cars that have sold around $12k recently. Good luck with the search though, keep you eye open and be ready to jump on something!
I'm not specifically looking for a notch. I'm open to a LX hatch or GT. :)

Users who are viewing this thread