What's going on with the foxbody mustang prices?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
This is a 88 gt original paint, no rust. Has 92k miles, paint is peeling in areas, rear main seal leaks. Basically normal stuff for a 30 year old car. I know the guy, he's firm at 5k. I may go check it out, he's about 2 hours away from me.

This could be a project car, maybe one day repaint in original color, pump gas 331. Probably convert to mass air right away.

Chad%20Sellners%20GT%202_zpspegd0t64.jpg

Chad%20Sellners%20GT_zpsa66dvzjo.jpg

received_795389330826736_zps73ni5wfs.jpg

received_223198475229809_zps5qkc82sd.jpg

received_378188416071694_zps60mirro3.jpg

received_743202449391405_zpsbtjxr4bt.jpg

received_241809870047072_zpsg14nwb8v.jpg

received_308013656802956_zpsz1qvy1xh.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Part of me thinks its because of nostalgia. The guys that had these new in their teens and 20s are now older and most have kids out of the house. Thinkin back fondly of their HS or college ride and want a clean example now. Same thing that happened in the 90's with classic Muscle.

These cars, factory equipped, are inferior in every way to anything recently produced. Yet for many Foxes were a gateway into the lore of Mustang, pony car wars etc. I remember when I was in High School (97-2001) if you didnt have a 5.0 as a car guy you werent shit. I had an Accord as a hand me down. I was just happy to have wheels haha.

I also think that the race car boom of guys like Deathtrap from Street Outlaws and Beater Bomb on youtube/insta etc taking lightweight Foxbody's and turning them into competitive race cars also are driving Fox prices up.

Kinda blows my mind that some of these examples are nearing Gen 1 Mustang values.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
View attachment 1544102 i think This is high, but here’s where the market has gone...

I sold that car to that guy about 6 months ago for $13k. All he does is try to flip foxes. He even has a 5.0 tat on his right shoulder just above his bicep. It's very clean but not $21k clean. LMAO

4GTNSVT

Hatin' In My Free Time
Established Member
14 months ago I drove about about 4 hours north of Detroit to pick up my 91. It had 93K on it and was very well taken care of. Had the typical bolt on's but was rust free for the most part. It was a cobra clone car which is what i wanted. I paid 6k for it with the full intention of coyote swapping it. I drove it all last summer. It had a few minor issues but nothing that wasn't getting fixed during the swap. Well last month we started the tear down. The car is basically just a shell at this point. I found some small rust holes in the foot wells and it was in a minor accident at one point from evidence of the bumper crash bar. For a 28 year old car I was very pleased with it. I still fell like I got a great deal looking at the prices people are getting for some of there cars. I looked for 8 months. Just take your time as deals are still out there.
91 Mustang.jpg

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I sold that car to that guy about 6 months ago for $13k. All he does is try to flip foxes. He even has a 5.0 tat on his right shoulder just above his bicep. It's very clean but not $21k clean. LMAO

I remember you selling that car, I can see making a few grand, but damn he's trying to make $8K lol.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Part of me thinks its because of nostalgia. The guys that had these new in their teens and 20s are now older and most have kids out of the house. Thinkin back fondly of their HS or college ride and want a clean example now. Same thing that happened in the 90's with classic Muscle.

This is it for me, I drove an '86 5.0 coupe to high school in 1989-90. I've also had about 10-15 foxes since then. Looking for another one now...

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I will have a notchback someday. Maybe I'll make that my next car. I have always loved them. I almost got my hands on one back in the day but someone swooped in before I could get it. A friend of mine had my absolute favorite one, a Twilight Blue '92 that was lightly modded to perfection. That's the one I want.

lilcoop03

Established Member
I just sold a very nice one owner, all original black 87 LX 5.0 5spd Notch for $8k. It had 170k miles, but it was every bit as clean (or cleaner) as that $21k Gray car listed above. I let it go in a week and probably could've held out for more money but I was consigning and didn't care to drag it out. Guy rented a truck and trailer to come get it from 8 hours away (one way) Values and demand are definitely going up, but LoL at $21k

D1984

Whining
Established Member
They're going to keep going up for a long time. It's all about the age range of people who were into those cars as kids and will be making more and more money. The prices will rise with their income. And the Fox Body is fairly unique because it was popular both in the 80s/early 90s when it was new, and also as one one of the gotta have it muscle cars in the late 90s to mid 2000s after it was long out of production. When I was in high school in 1998-2002 it was hot. I think it's because there weren't a lot of good V8 muscle cars back then except for f bodies which were expensive. The New Edge Mustang GTs were the butt of all jokes even though they weren't THAT slow compared to the 5.0, they just had a more limited and much more expensive aftermarket so you would usually just see stock ones. Once the 2003 Cobra came out, it took a little bit away from the 5.0 popularity but it wasn't until the revival of the muscle/pony car wars when the SRT products first came out along with the 2005 Mustang, and the revival of the Camaro later on, that the Fox Body Mustang really declined in popularity because factory offerings were actually fast again.

And now they're going up because of nostalgia. And they have a roughly 20 year window for the nostalgia factor. Kind of like 60s muscle cars that are nostalgic for people who grew up in a 20 year window because the 70s and most of the 80s were complete shit as far as factory American performance cars went.

So basically, find a clean one and buy it because it's not getting any cheaper. By the time my age group is retired we will have the money to spend $150k on an all original low mileage Saleen Fox Body

D1984

Whining
Established Member
Speaking of New Edge Mustangs, any Saleen is going to be an extremely expensive car in about 10 years

Users who are viewing this thread