What's after Boss 302?

oilwell1415

Established Member
That just means they will have to sell more V6 models, Fiestaa and FOci.

That's the problem, they have to sell more fuel efficient models. People don't want fuel efficient models, they want powerful models with big engines. If people did their automotive shopping with mileage at the top of the list we wouldn't have to worry about this. For every Mustang they have to sell that gets 25 mpg, they would have to sell either one car that gets 51 mpg, two cars that get 45 mpg, or 10 cars that get 40 mpg. Do any of those sound realistic? Not to me, and that doesn't even include all the other models that will be below the 38 mpg figure.

The 5.0 is not going anywhere. Ford didn't spend all of that money developing the motor to only use it for a few years.

Really? Maybe we should count up the number of times they've done that already? I hope it sticks around, but I'm not optimistic.

Also, High hp cars are here to stay. They will just get more expensive to offset fines/taxes assesed for vehicles not meeting MPG targets.

That's what everyone thought in 1969 as well. Look how we spent the 70's and 80's.

Last edited:

Nate_V8

Established Member
The 6.2L sohc is a 4" bore modular with the capability to be be stroked to a 8L+ I believe. They could easily do a 429, and I bet it would destroy the competition seeing the coyote that has a 3.55" bore and still flows 320+cfm with it's heads. If ford was smart they would take the 6.2L Sohc, make it a DOHC, destroke it to a 351, and make an ecoboost out of it. They could easily make it rev 8k (it would get there quick) and be reliable, ecoboost (TT) would make it even better on gas till you wanted to lay the hammer down. it would be alike a Ford GT motor on roids and speed.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Idk who said 6.2 would not fit? It fits, heck don bolwes ran that 777 engine in his new style stang and ford engineers already said they swapped a 6.2 in a 2010. So they could do a modified n/a 6.2 or a s/c or turbo 5.0. Probably turbo 5.0 best mpg. But I like idea of 427, 429 boss just for the name. I'm sure you could get 525 hp. Reason I say 525 what would be the reason for gt 500? Lot of questions.

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Ford already had a motor with a displacement of 351C.I. a few years ago when they were making the V10 F250 Truck motors. And it Will fit in the Mustang with very little modding. Back when Ford had their 40th Anniversary celebration in Nashville we went and Ford had a Huge Display with a "prototype" Boss 351 there that had a built NA V10 in it, I can't remember if it was in the SN95 body or the 99-04 body, (I think it was in a 98 chassis) but it fit fine, they had the hydroboost brake set-up on it just like on the 96-98 Cobra's, and a Thick 4 core radiator and everything fit fine. They had redone the intake so it didn't look like the truck motor, but something like you would expect in a mustang. We did talk them into cranking it and it sounded AWESOME!!!! No, UPS truck viper sound at all. :nonono: The New body style of the 05's were just fixing to come out and they had a production ready verison there as well. We were SO hoping that the BOSS 351 would have made it into production but unfortunately it didn't, :shrug: Maybe this time around will be different. :rockon:

Nate_V8

Established Member
Well like I said, they could de-stroke the 6.2 to a 351 and you know it would rev to the moon if it was a DOHC plus it has a 4" bore so the heads would freakin insane, the new 5.0 is still a 3.55" bore and it's heads flow +320cfm! It would rock the house! It could possibly happen too. I couldn't see them stroking this motor to a 7.1L 429ci because MPG plays a big part, ecoboost or N/A, either way mpg wouldn't be great. Even if people think it's "which motor makes the hp?" a lot of people look for performance + MPG today. A high reving de-stroked 6.2 DOHC ecoboost would be incredible!

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Mustang II....:rockon:

Ah, the much maligned Mustang II. Y'know, for what they were they were good cars. Sure they were underpowered, but just about everything was at the time (gogo Trans Ams!).

Remember, these cars' suspensions were (and probably still are) used as donors for all sorts of Hot Rods and Kit Cars. That seems to me like they must have something good goin for them (besides cheap and plentiful).

Anyhow, I've never actually owned one, but I've always liked the looks of the gaudy Cobra II's and King Cobras! Talk about "In Your Face!" :banana:
Now if only they had stuffed a 351C in them from the factory :pepper:

Users who are viewing this thread