What would you pay for this 04 cobra?

TERMN8U

Established Member
I paid $52,500 for my 2004 Cobra convertible in Dec 2004.
Canadian dollars.
Shows how much more things cost up here.

quad

Established Member
About $12k less than the buy it now.
I bought my 2004 new in Sept 2005 with A-plan and rebate for about $27-28k!
-J
That was when the car was still new and plenty available. How many of these car are you going to find under 3000 miles almost 15 years later and never been modified. I personally think he might get that from the right buyer. Give it another 15 years. How much you think these cars would go for then? 25-30k? Lol. $27-28K in 2005 is also not the same in 2019.

There is no way in hell I would sell my Cobra for even $50,000. I have too much time invested in it, money and memories. It would have to be a lot more than that before I would even consider.

US Inflation Calculator

inflation.JPG

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m well aware of all of that.
They made a LOT of ‘03-04 Cobras, so they will be hard pressed to ever be considered a high end collector car.
I used my buying new price for perspective.
I think it’s a $30k car, but definitely not $42k and as far as all of that goes, a stock Cobra is very mundane and frankly boring if you’re used to power.
If you pay $42k for the car, you’re really left with a show car you’d be scared to put miles on or even modify.
Just my thoughts.
If you have the cash and want a perfect starting Cobra to mod and enjoy, this is a great choice. But again not at $42k.
-J

quad

Established Member
I paid $52,500 for my 2004 Cobra convertible in Dec 2004.
Canadian dollars.
Shows how much more things cost up here.
I probably have dumped about 75K USD into my Cobra since I bought it in 2004. Purchase price w/ 5 year financing around 36K. Then over the years I did various mods totaling at least 25K or more. Factor in insurance cost for 15 years, fuel, oil, tires, cleaning products etc. and it totals to 75K. My insurance is much lower now for the car than what I paid a few years ago. I get classic car insurance through Grundy with a guaranteed value of $50K and it is less than $300 per year. I might bump up the guaranteed amount next year if they'll allow it.

It was worth it to me. The car turns heads everywhere I go with it. I once parked it at a shopping mall next to another Mustang. When my wife and I returned from the movies the guy left a note on the windshield saying it was his dream car and he appreciated that I parked it there lol! His car was still there but I did not have a pen with me otherwise I would have thanked him for the complement. I've had young guys at gas stations tell me how much they admired the car when I filled it up. Also received compliments from two guys in a Corvette on Woodward many years ago when it was still almost stock with just a catback w/ K&N filter and subframes. The passenger said he wanted the car after we raced.

Last edited:

quad

Established Member
They made a LOT of ‘03-04 Cobras, so they will be hard pressed to ever be considered a high end collector car.
I used my buying new price for perspective.
I think it’s a $30k car, but definitely not $42k and as far as all of that goes, a stock Cobra is very mundane and frankly boring if you’re used to power.
If you pay $42k for the car, you’re really left with a show car you’d be scared to put miles on or even modify.
Just my thoughts.
If you have the cash and want a perfect starting Cobra to mod and enjoy, this is a great choice. But again not at $42k.
-J
Well they made less than 20,000 total coupes and convertibles for the 2003 and 2004 models combined. Is that a lot? Not as rare as some other models but still not many imo. I rarely see these cars on the road. I see more Shelby's actually.

Ford Mustang SVT Cobra - Wikipedia

Here is a 1993 Fox body that sold for 132k!

This Is the Most Expensive Fox-Body Mustang Ever Sold at Auction

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, as far as potential for a collector car goes, over 10,000 units is very high. The ‘03-04 Cobra had 19,140 produced—Almost 20,000!!!
I’m glad you like your car, as you should because it’s a high end example, but it’s not even close to $50k, probably worth half of that. That’s just reality, not SVTP.
Also, google how many ‘93 Rs they made. That’ll give you a better frame of reference.
Trust me, I miss the 7000 mile 2004 I sold through this site back in 2006. I plan to pay $25-30k to find another example in the next few years similar to the Ebay listing, but more of a driver.
-J

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

Sold just as many Supra MKIVs and look what happened there. The problem the Cobra has is the base cars and the ease of building a replica.

You don't need to drop $30k for the "Cobra"
experience. Same isn't true for a MKIV, GTR, 911, Viper, etc.

quad

Established Member
Yes, as far as potential for a collector car goes, over 10,000 units is very high. The ‘03-04 Cobra had 19,140 produced—Almost 20,000!!!
I’m glad you like your car, as you should because it’s a high end example, but it’s not even close to $50k, probably worth half of that. That’s just reality, not SVTP.
Also, google how many ‘93 Rs they made. That’ll give you a better frame of reference.
Trust me, I miss the 7000 mile 2004 I sold through this site back in 2006. I plan to pay $25-30k to find another example in the next few years similar to the Ebay listing, but more of a driver.
-J
Well anyone that sells a car like mine for $25k would be nuts or in desperate need of money. Just mods alone equals that.

I don't plan on selling the car so it really does not matter to me what other people are willing to pay for it.

Users who are viewing this thread