What would you pay for an 03 cobra with issues

cruelntntion

Established Member
So I am in process of buying a black 03 cobra. It has a whipple 2.9, throttle body, fore fuel system, Viking coil overs, tubular k member and A Arms. Solid rear axle, long tube headers, cosmos wheels, mgw shifter, rxt clutch etc. paint on the car is good and interior is in great shape as well. The body has 116k but the engine (13k miles) was built by MPR race engines, but has a peck/tick/sound and I’m not really sure where it’s coming from on the engine. Also the AC compressor is going bad. Car still pulls hard and shifts smoothly. Definitely believed an internal problem on the engine.

What kind of price would you all be willing to pay? I am buying to try and fix, but if I can’t I’m going to resell in as is condition. Also has front license plate bracket. Good looking car overall. I also will not want to part out, although probably worth more.
IMG_5687.jpg

IMG_5694.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

cruelntntion

Established Member
I figured I could get my money back if I can’t get resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I figured I could get my money back if I can’t get resolved.

Why not have a shop check it out before you buy?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

cruelntntion

Established Member
Why not have a shop check it out before you buy?

I could, but I am assuming it’s something that will require invasive actions anyway. I’m assuming the motor will need an extensive repair. I believe the owner thinks this as well as the price is reflecting such repairs. He said he doesn’t want to mess with it.

I figured even if the motor is blown and the transmission is good and with the whipple the car has to be worth 16-18k with the mods it has. The paint and interior is good as well.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I could, but I am assuming it’s something that will require invasive actions anyway. I’m assuming the motor will need an extensive repair. I believe the owner thinks this as well as the price is reflecting such repairs. He said he doesn’t want to mess with it.

I figured even if the motor is blown and the transmission is good and with the whipple the car has to be worth 16-18k with the mods it has. The paint and interior is good as well.

Any video of the sound?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
How do you attach a video? I only see a photo option. Also when I select photo I thought I could select a video but won’t give me access to my videos. Is that bc I’m on my phone?

Might have to upload it to YouTube if you have an account.

01yellercobra

Established Member
How do you attach a video? I only see a photo option. Also when I select photo I thought I could select a video but won’t give me access to my videos. Is that bc I’m on my phone?

Upload it to YouTube and then post the link.

Has anyone done some checking on the engine? A tick could be so many things. From a lash adjuster to a blown exhaust gasket. You could get lucky and get a screaming deal.

OSU34

Established Member
Sounds bottom end. I say a rod bearing going out. Brothers had an extremely similar sound and it was that. Buy with caution, might be a big headache

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
If you have the means and and or the owners willing to let you compression check it or take it to a reputable shop, I’d definitely have it checked out. Any idea what gaskets are used on the headers? What kind of headers are they? You could be getting a heck of a deal! Car looks really good on those wheels. How was the car driven since the rebuild? I’d imagine all the timing chain guides, tensioners, and chains were replaced during the rebuild. I had a 2V with bad tensioners and shot guides and it sounded WAY worse than that. I’d really lean towards that being an exhaust leak. If non oem header gaskets were used it could very well be just that.

Man, almost sounds like exhaust

That’s exactly what I thought too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread