What would you do?

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
I bought some used GT pumps from another member on here then turned around and sold them several months ago because I decided to go with new ones that were e85 compatible. The buyer is now contacting me several months after the sell and claims one of the pumps is bad. I never used them. I have emptied most of my inbox because it was full, so I am having a hard time trying to find who I bought them from.
How long should a person be responsible for selling electrical parts? How do I know if it really bad and if the buyer didn't damage it?
I asked him him give me a chance to find who I got them from. The next day, and his second PM to me he is threatening to leave negative feed back.

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
Unless you gave him a written warranty with the sale, I would say you hold no responsibility. Especially not several months later. It is an assumed risk buying used parts that something may not function like a brand new part. If he wanted a guarantee or a return / refund system he could have just as easily bought new or off eBay. And who's to say several months later that he didn't somehow damage them in that time. I would say take your case to the site moderators if he leaves negative feedback. You have already done due diligence trying to help him.

Just my .02

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
Here is his email yesterday,
I bought a set of twin GT pumps from you a few months ago and set them a side for my build. Now that it's time to install them it turns out one of the pumps is bad.

I should have checked them sooner, nonetheless did you ever run them in your car?

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
I found who I bought them from back on 12/20/2013 for $200, and sold them on 12/26/2013 for $150. I really hate to go back to the member I bought them from after 5 months. It has just been to long in my opinion, to many variables?

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
That's a tough one because I feel for both sides there. At times like this you could look at what the big guys do. How does Ebay and Paypal handle such things? Well after 30 days the sale is considered done and final. I'd say if he had contacted you within 30 days you'd go out of your way to help him out and make it right because clearly you sent him a bad pump. But 5 months later? I mean for all you know he's been using the pumps for 5 months now and one died and he's trying to scam you on it.

cj428mach

Established Member
There was a long thread in the pub about this same situation happening to some other members but there was some information left out from the seller to the buyer. The buyer/poster was Sonicblew if you want to search it.

I say if you mentioned that you had never tested them and were just going off the previous sellers word before the sale then its not on you. Its up to the buyer to determine if the reduced selling price is worth the risk, at least that's how I look at it after this length of time. If it was the first week or two after the sale then a refund would be in order.

Alan, lately you've had the worst luck, I know its spring time but it seems you've had a rain cloud following you around.

Last edited:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I believe that's too damn long....buyer should have tested immediately. So many things can go wrong in a few months, even with the pumps not installed. Sitting on a shelf....banged around....kids find them to see if they can fly!! Lol

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with above. If it was within 30 days, I'd maybe do something. Buyer should have tested them, not wait until months later. Sucks for both parties, but I'd say buyer shouldn't get anything.

mrose75

Established Member
That's tough. I wouldn't want to screw anyone over nor get screwed over. Have him send you the bad pump back and pay him half for his troubles? In the future clearly state how long a "refund or grace period" will be. I don't think you are at all obligated, but myself, I'd rather just try to do right by people without getting totally screwed over myself. Call me old fashioned (or foolish...).

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
Yeah I don't know what to do. I found the member I purchased them from, boost4me and he is banned from the forums now, so I am not even going to try and contact him. I am going to think about it over night.

Mike, I have purchased another Eaton that will be here Thursday. I will port it next week and resume tuning. Hopefully no more problems. lol

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Yeah I don't know what to do. I found the member I purchased them from, boost4me and he is banned from the forums now, so I am not even going to try and contact him. I am going to think about it over night.

Mike, I have purchased another Eaton that will be here Thursday. I will port it next week and resume tuning. Hopefully no more problems. lol

oh ya boost4me......I'm pretty sure he joined again as handle "SnakeBoostE85"....so if you get a negative rep from that name it's the same person. I would contest that negative rep with a moderator if you get slammed one day

Users who are viewing this thread