what would hapen if you remove the termostat of a 03 cobra?

HectorCobra03

Established Member
hey!

in a previus post i was tlaking abut a friend of mine whos cobra has only 410whp with mods that should put him in the 460 or more

i just found out that he removed the termostat from the car(all this time i was thinking he had a 160termostat like me)

i think thats the problem with the car not producing power.

what do you guys think?

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
Some people just dont get it. An engine needs a certain amount of heat. Too much bad. too little bad. I would venture that that is his problem. His pcm never sees the engine at proper opperating temp.

Brandon03SVT

Established Member
I could maybe understand pulling the stat on a race car, but on a daily driver??? Just 'cause you can do it, don't make it a good idea! I'd DEFINITELY put the stat back in. The computer is probably going CRAZY trying to get to the right operating temp. Running too cold, you're gonna end up not ever warming up, sludge the oil all to hell, and wear out bearings. A thermostat is a necessity.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i had a cooling problem on my 03 and removed the t-stat. the only difference that i remember is that on the highway the temp gauge was in the left part instead of straight up. around town it was straight up.

i agree tho, most modern cars i wouldnt mess with it. computers have changed everything

Users who are viewing this thread