What to do "alternator"

pixlix

Established Member
I belive the alternator on my cobra went out after the car accident i had on my 04, i have yet to drive the car but im assuming it went bad because the battery light is on so i have 3 choices

1)Rebuild the stock alternator for 70 dollars with no warranty
2)Buy one from o reillys for 180 with lifetime warranty
3)Buy a new 160amp one from ebay for 145 with 1yr warranty

i dont use the car much but when i do i drive it pretty hard had an eaton and now it has a 2.8 H so im assuming its gona spin it a bit more , What should i do? or is their another option ? also considering a 3.2 pulley to aid in extending the life on it, Thanks for the input

zackkbcobra

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
if it were me i would just rebuild it but if you dont want to the go for the o rileys one it has lifetime warranty so if it goes bad you can always get a new one

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I could not disagree more with the above post.
Op, do your research and you will see the majority go with ford reman or start-n charge Alts. Good luck

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Do NOT buy a rebuilt from O'Reilly's, despite the lifetime warranty. Forget about eBay. Lifetime warranties are no good if you have to keep taking your car back for a replacement. Not worth the hassle. They're junk! Either buy a remanufactured alternator from Tousley or the Start 'N Charge. Personally I'd go with the Start 'N Charge since it's heavier duty. JMO.

pixlix

Established Member
How much is the start n charge? I saw a website with that name but it has no price info unless it's. Not the same one , I did slot of research but people would post totally different opinions that I still can't seem to make a decision thanks

START 'N CHARGE

alternator/starter guy
Established Member
How much is the start n charge? I saw a website with that name but it has no price info unless it's. Not the same one , I did slot of research but people would post totally different opinions that I still can't seem to make a decision thanks

Not my site,i dont have one.I would rather talk to people and build one for the application rather than have you just blindly buy one from a brief description or pretty picture.:D
509-447-0289 Pacific time.

mach1033

Established Member
Not my site,i dont have one.I would rather talk to people and build one for the application rather than have you just blindly buy one from a brief description or pretty picture.:D
509-447-0289 Pacific time.

I'm going to call you tomorrow and I also sent you a PM.

Stalker27

Established Member
Tousley all the way!! Just ordered mine a couple days ago and got here fast. I also ordered the 3.2 pulley from Lethal. Also going to be getting a battery as well

03yellow

Established Member
All the alts at discount parts stores ( orilleys, autozone, napa are 90 to 110 amp. Our alts are 130amp. Orilleys and Napa list a 130 amp alt for our car but it either won't fit or says 110 or 90 amp on the box.
Make sure when they rebuild your alt that it's 130 amp; it should last 25,000 miles or so. My best alt so far has been a ford 40,000 and still going.
Start n charge seems to be doing well but are still fairly new; if I don't see failures this summer it will be my next alt.

Users who are viewing this thread