Votes: 36 76.6%
  • OP is dumb for asking SVTP for advice

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
Ok everyone i'm buying him a 2001 blue S10 today. 2.2l 4cyl 5 speed. 190,000 miles but taken good care of new tires clutch plugs filters A/C will freeze you shifts smoooth. Only 2,200 way under what KBB says.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
nah, i wouldn't give it to him. i'm about to finish paying my Cobra off and i wanna give it to my son later later on when he's 16 also but i'm having thoughts now cause i know how i am in it lol... and i have a few years to fix it before he gets it as well.
get him an Acura Integra gs-r. i had one in HS and they are fun and super great on gas. think $20 got me filled for the whole week lol. honda civic is a great 1st car also, either way you can't go wrong. good luck!

LaFlavor

Established Member
Make him drive what I drove at 16:

f_40763165_1.jpeg

Yeah, I was pretty pimp.

(no the one in the picture isn't/wasn't mine....it's just a similar one I found on the web.)

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
Ok everyone i'm buying him a 2001 blue S10 today. 2.2l 4cyl 5 speed. 190,000 miles but taken good care of new tires clutch plugs filters A/C will freeze you shifts smoooth. Only 2,200 way under what KBB says.

Thats almost exactly what my first car was. You have to try REALLY hard to break the speed limit with it so he should be safe. :thumbsup:

91frppgt

Banned
LOL @ this thread! Theres no way a 16 year old needs to have a 500hp car! Hell i had 300rwhp fox body when i was 16 and wrecked it (my stupidity, but had friends in the car and they wanted to see how fast it would go <---point is peer pressures a bitch) I'm 22 now, i've had 7 mustangs, 9 cars total.
I stand by my point, i've seen little snobby ****'s at car meets with daddys car ragging the shit out of them and driving them out of their means. No way in hell my son will drive a 500 hp car at that young of a age.
I'm going to have to go with option 3 on this one, OP should know better to let a 16 year old drive a 500 hp Cobra. And letting him take his g/f out in it? LOL thats a disaster waiting to happen! Hopefully your Cobra won't be in pieces on "Road Side Pub" in a few months....

edit:I learned how to drive in 91 GT Vert, made around 430 rwhp and my dad WOULD NEVER let me get on it! What are you thinking?! A newborn driver can't control that car...Geez, whats wrong with people?

Last edited:

mustangmiller

Deuce Performance
Established Member
I am all for him driving the car with you in it. That is cool for him. Not all of us could have that opportunity growing up so thats pretty cool. I do not think that he should be set loose in a sports car with that much power at his age. Get him something that does not make as much power to get experience behind the wheel. Then once he has been driving a while id say its ok to move him up to a faster car.

M3xpress

Established Member
For the price range you mentioned you should be able to find him something good used.

I wouldn't let him drive the Cobra.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member

Will he be doing a lot of highway driving? Reason I ask is, my first car was a Civic, and it was almost dangerously slow when it came to merging or passing.

Either way, you're doing the right thing, and it will probably be a lot cheaper on your insurance to have him on a "beater car" instead of as a secondary driver on something with power, especially a Cobra.

Fordman9870

Proud Dad of Twin Marines
Established Member
Ive raised 3 boys, 2 of them are Marines having fun in Hummers now.
But they were mad at me i didn't let them get a real nice newer car till they had driven about 2 years (Snow, rain etc.) But now they see the light.
All 3 of them wrecked there cars,(nothing bad thank God) mostly dings and such.
One of the boys replaced 4 headlights on his car. he kept hitting stuff.
He also let his friend pull his car up in the drive further one time to get another car behind his and his buddy drove through my garage door with my 70 Mach 1 sitting on the other side. Lucky for him the door didn't hit the car and no damage (other than the door and scratches on my sons car came of it). I say wait for a while, get him a crappy/dependable car (if there is such a thing) it will make him appreciate a nicer car in the future

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
Ok you guys can all stop bashing me now I bought that 01 S10 for only $2000..The guy said every time he changed the oil he changed ALL the fluids he would suck up all the fluids and put new fluid in. His goal was to drive the truck all the way to 1,000,000 miles. So he took very very good care of it and I can tell. My son is taking off the stupid camper top very soon and he will probably lower it in a year or so.. Here are a couple pics! :thumsup:

Picture2220.jpg

Picture2228.gif

Last edited:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
tell him to leave it on...he'll get more poon-tang that way!

Badass_Forever

Established Member
everyone needs to quit crying, I know how i was when i was 16, yes some times i beat on y parents cars, but i was a very safe driver and had a ton of respect for my parents and wouldn't think twice about breaking there cars. Plus... 16? so many girls to pickup with the cobra... do it.

Slowstang305

Slow Saleen ;)
Established Member
I think you made the right choice, my first car was a v6 mustang and even then I had a thirst for more power. I think the pickup is great, sometimes I wish I had one to haul around my toys.

highdensity007

Best wifey EVAR!
Established Member
Nice truck, similar to my little bro's minus the cap.

At 16, the first thing I would do is throw a futon in the back and leave the cap on. GAME ON!

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
Too much car for a 16 yr old. I know how i was at that age! If i had that much power, prob would have got me into trouble!

Users who are viewing this thread