Votes: 36 76.6%
  • OP is dumb for asking SVTP for advice

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
Alright i'm looking on craigslist right now at older GTs and S10s. I'm still going to let him take the cobra out by himself but only or twice once a week.

MoToCoBrA

Established Member
Whatever you decide to do he is your son and you know him better than we do. Everyone says a 16 yr old shouldn’t drive a fast car. My brother is living proof that you can be 16/ young and be responsible.

He is 17 now. He started with a H3. Then he got a whippled 03. Then a 2009 GT500. Now he has a 2008 GT500 super snake. He has never been in wreck or got any tickets.

I on the other hand if I would have gotten a fast car when I was 16 I would probably be dead. I got a 2000 Ws6 when I was 17 and wrecked it 3 weeks after getting it. It wasn’t from driving fast. I was on the highway doing the speed limit in the rain then all the sudden I hydro planed in the median. Now I wouldn’t have hydro planed if I hadn’t been doing burn outs every chance I got.

He is your son and if you trust him just let him drive the cobra. :beer:

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
Whatever you decide to do he is your son and you know him better than we do. Everyone says a 16 yr old shouldn’t drive a fast car. My brother is living proof that you can be 16/ young and be responsible.

He is 17 now. He started with a H3. Then he got a whippled 03. Then a 2009 GT500. Now he has a 2008 GT500 super snake. He has never been in wreck or got any tickets.

I on the other hand if I would have gotten a fast car when I was 16 I would probably be dead. I got a 2000 Ws6 when I was 17 and wrecked it 3 weeks after getting it. It wasn’t from driving fast. I was on the highway doing the speed limit in the rain then all the sudden I hydro planed in the median. Now I wouldn’t have hydro planed if I hadn’t been doing burn outs every chance I got.

Thanks bro.
:beer:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Let him earn the $ and get his own car....he will appreciate it a lot more. JMO- my oldest son turns 16 in Jan and that's what I'm doing with him.

When I was 16 my buddy and I went to a police auction and bid on 2 police cars. $1200 bought a 79 Volare and a 80 Gran Fury- this was in 1986. Perfect cars for us. Cheap to maintain, cheap to insure. Decent power (for a couple of teenagers). I'd look for something along those lines of I were you.

Last edited:

F the V-TAC

Established Member
Alright i'm looking on craigslist right now at older GTs and S10s. I'm still going to let him take the cobra out by himself but only or twice once a week.
Nice! Maybe eventually he could buy it/"take it off your hands"
My dad just started letting me taking out his STOCK mach, love the damn thing though

carnut101

Established Member
I got my Z06 2 weeks after getting my license. Almost 3 years later, I have no accidents and have never had a point on my license. Your son will drive like a dumbass at least occasionally when you aren't around. You need to take him to track days if you plan on giving him the cobra. Do both road racing and drifting events. The road racing will teach him how to go fast properly, to learn the limits of the car, etc. From what I've witnessed, a good part of speed-related accidents happen when the driver doesn't think about what there could be around the next corner. Road racing teaches you to do just that - plan ahead. Even if thinking ahead is for the purpose of driving faster, if your kid has any bit of logic in him, he will not only consider where the apex is, but also the possibility of a parked car interfering with that apex, or a car coming in the opposite direction blocking his line out of the corner. The drifting events will do wonders for his car control skills. When he messes up and the car starts swapping ends, he won't be as likely panic and will have a better chance of recovering, or will at least be able to control the general direction of the spinout (both feet in when the car's momentum is in the direction with the most runoff vs slamming on the brakes and making the situation worse).

Anyways, that's my 2 cents. I've seen my friends do some seriously stupid things in cars ranging from a 20 year old honda accord to a brand new GT3rs. It's not the car, it's the driver. So make him a better driver.

carnut101

Established Member
I'm still going to let him take the cobra out by himself but only or twice once a week.

Didn't see this before making my first post. Bad idea. You won't be there to supervise, and now he's in a car that you're turning into a bigger deal, so to speak, by limiting his access to it. He'll have less seat time, so he won't be as used to it, and now he'll want to take full advantage of any time he has with the car. Either don't let him drive it at all, or let him take it out whenever he wants, even if it isn't his primary car.

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
He's been driving it with me for 9 almost 10 months now i'm pretty sure he knows the car pretty well..I'll research road race and drifting events for somewhere here in houston and maybe take him to one soon.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Didn't see this before making my first post. Bad idea. You won't be there to supervise, and now he's in a car that you're turning into a bigger deal, so to speak, by limiting his access to it. He'll have less seat time, so he won't be as used to it, and now he'll want to take full advantage of any time he has with the car. Either don't let him drive it at all, or let him take it out whenever he wants, even if it isn't his primary car.

+1

whenever my friend had the 'not so often' occasion to take his dad's 02 35th anniversary ws6 out for a spin, it meant that it was his chance to have some fun with it.

and on a sidenote...this past week his dad gave him that car, so now he is the owner of a 8000 mile 35th anniversary ws6, such a beautiful car

sorry..back to on topic, lol.

BlackenedSVT

The Clown has it out 4 me
Established Member
He's been driving it with me for 9 almost 10 months now i'm pretty sure he knows the car pretty well..I'll research road race and drifting events for somewhere here in houston and maybe take him to one soon.

Look im not trying to be a d i ck, but do you really think 9-10months of driving qualifies a 16 year old to take a terminator out on his own? Like others have said it only takes 1 peer pressure moment for something horrific to happen...and again like others said hes your son and you can do what you want and you know him better than all of us. And im not trying to flame you or your son's abilities but i'd hate for you to come back with a "wrecked terminator" thread and hear the "i told you so's".....

The used car route you're looking at is a better idea.

Gdubb

current beer in fridge
Established Member
No 16yr old need a 500hp car, period. I got plenty of tickes with a 86 mazda truck trying to show off with my friends

Option 2 for sure.

BlackenedSVT

The Clown has it out 4 me
Established Member
I'd go the foxbody route to be honest. In stock form they are pretty slow...but with an exhaust mod sound very nice and are sure to draw attention for their looks and notorious popularity. A great car for a young kid in highschool (who is fimiliar with horsepower).

LSwat

Established Member

That is just plain insane for a 17 year old.

MoToCoBrA

Established Member
That is just plain insane for a 17 year old.

He deserves every bit of it. Honor roll, doesn't drink or do drugs, and he is on his way to being a college football star.

Here a little video of him. Shitty video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG2_jS8Fqpc"]YouTube - cy woods football[/ame]

carnut101

Established Member
Look im not trying to be a d i ck, but do you really think 9-10months of driving qualifies a 16 year old to take a terminator out on his own? Like others have said it only takes 1 peer pressure moment for something horrific to happen...and again like others said hes your son and you can do what you want and you know him better than all of us. And im not trying to flame you or your son's abilities but i'd hate for you to come back with a "wrecked terminator" thread and hear the "i told you so's".....

The used car route you're looking at is a better idea.

+1. Powershifting and having a vague idea of how much to slow down for a corner does not equal driving skill.

Also, having the Z06 to drive around town and to high school was great, but when it came down to sitting in LA traffic driving to USC or going to work, I ended up switching off with my dad very often. In my case, I would have loved to have a beater, and for the fast car not to be "my" car so my dad would have to deal with maintenance and all that.

Users who are viewing this thread