Votes: 36 76.6%
  • OP is dumb for asking SVTP for advice

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
My youngest daughter was very responsible in High School. National Honor Roll, scholarships when she was a Jr., etc. For her 17th birthday, I found a nice, clean '98 GT triple black 'vert. Her mother wouldn't let me give it to her until summer break so she had at wait a few months while I made sure everything worked. Not a lot of HP, ~200 I think, but enough to give her some fun. She's had it for over 3 years now and loves the car, loves taking care of it and it runs better now than when I gave it to her. Do what you think is right according to your son's abilities and trust. Good luck with it.

61mmstang94

Established Member
While generally speaking..this can be true..but not for EVERY student.

to his description...it sounds like the kid deserves to drive a nice car and I do not see a problem with that.

When I was 16 I was FAR from being a reckless kid and still am...I keep it on the track.

That's your opinion and I respect that, but no 16 yeard old "deserves" to be given anything like that even if he's very respectful, responsible and gets good grades. He should have to learn to work hard by getting a good job and buying these things themselves but to each their own. It's hard for a parent to not want to give their kid everything they can because they love them, but it's usually better not to spoil them.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Statistically speaking, no you shouldnt give your kid a Cobra.

You say hes responsible but the only time you see him drive is when youre with him. What about when he's alone with friends in the car and then he gets the urge to show off, because he WILL get that urge eventually.

My first car was a Civic EX with a 5 speed. It barely had enough power to get out of its own way.

Start him on something he will be less likely to try and show off in.

Blackness03

Established Member
when i turned 16 my first truck was a 2wd 86 toyota pickup with a 4speed. i cut the exaust off of it and drove the pure shit out of that thing once i got out of sight from the driveway. i almost lost it a few times on that, if i would have been in a cobra i would be dead.

kids that age care about one thing.... "how fast will it go?" your son might not be that way, but when you get a few friends in a fast car bad things can happen

Last edited:

highdensity007

Best wifey EVAR!
Established Member
Your Cobra should be off hands to your 16 yr old son unless you're with him each time he drives it. I worked (mowed lawns on weekends before/after school activities/sports) at an early age so I cold buy my own car, why doesn't he buy his own and put it in your name and switch when he's 18? If he knew he wanted to drive why didn't he work and save for it?

Last edited:

DDirtrider33

THE MAN...
Established Member
Get him a suby wrx. Cheap to mod, 4 door, turbo, look sick to every teenager... See, everyone wins. And when he gets used to being responsible for his OWN car, then he can either choose to sell, or turbo upgrade. You can make these cars nasty fast.

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
IMO get him a late 90's Jeep Cherokee (Not Grand Cherokee) and let that be his first car. I had one, it was extremely comfortable and reliable. Those straight 6 motors are good for 250k+ miles and it's a good way to learn RWD cars in the snow and such. Going back I'm glad I got my 01 Bullitt but I miss that jeep so bad sometimes. Just my $.02

F the V-TAC

Established Member
I was called a pu$$y by a girl I was with, guess I don't drive like a 17 y/o should :(

61mmstang94

Established Member
I was called a pu$$y by a girl I was with, guess I don't drive like a 17 y/o should :(

Good for you. Here you go, son:

chocolate_chip_cookie.jpg

PS: DON'T CIRCUMVENT THE PROFANITY FILTER ANYMORE AND ENJOY YOUR INFRACTION ON TOP OF THE COOKIE. :)

Last edited:

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
IMO get him a late 90's Jeep Cherokee (Not Grand Cherokee) and let that be his first car. I had one, it was extremely comfortable and reliable. Those straight 6 motors are good for 250k+ miles and it's a good way to learn RWD cars in the snow and such. Going back I'm glad I got my 01 Bullitt but I miss that jeep so bad sometimes. Just my $.02

A good friend of mine had a jeep and that thing was very reliable..But it doesn't snow in TX. :(

Asd60303

Lead. Never Follow
Established Member
You say he's responsible at 16 with a 500 hp car but he won't be when he's with friends or under peer pressure. I bought my cobra at 18 and didn't respect it until it scared the shit out of me (i was showing off and put it into a ditch). After that I learned how easily a high horsepower could hurt me or others. But long story short, let him get a few years of experience under his belt before he takes out on his own. I don't see anything wrong if he drove your cobra just at the track but there's no way in hell i would let him take it out on his own. If he wants a decently fast with moddable; look at an 86/87' buick grand national. I drove one when i was 16; only thing done was a chip and air filter. It wasn't too fast to where you would hurt yourself but it gave me an understanding of how to control a decently quick car.

gnomee2

Established Member
Sell the harley and get him something else, maybe a GT?

I remember what it was like to be 16. I was super responsible myself.

It still did not keep me from doing things that I look back at and know as an adult I only did because I was 16. Driving your Cobra around is not something he should be doing. He is going to want freedom to drive and do what he wants when he wants. Driving Dads car around is cool for sure, but when he wants to go on a road trip to the river he nor you needs the added stress driving Dads Cobra adds.

Everything may work out just fine going that route, but everything may not work out just fine. Tickets / a collision that is his fault will not help his record or your insurance.

Let him learn how to be an adult driver in a vehicle that allows for mistakes and no stress other than the standard parental stress :)

Just my .02

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
We went and looked at this truck a few weeks ago. Runs perfectly and is very clean for having almost 200K miles. We are going to take off that dumb camper top though if we get it. He said the lowest he will go is $2200.
2001 Chevrolet S-10 Pickup
And if I get that S10 for him, once he gets a job he can buy some parts off here to give that 4cyl a little more pep.
STS 2.2 Performance

Users who are viewing this thread