What Shifter?

micksnip

Established Member
I need to get a shifter that's closer to me than the stocker, and easy to shift. I hurt my back in Feb. at work, and it's gotten real bad-I'm slated for an MRI. Fell on unsalted ice, and it's Work. Comp-got a lawyer, etc. But I went out yesterday for a ride on N.Hamp to Colesville, and from shifting and reaching, back is killin' me. Doc thinks it's a thorasic disc. So, which is best? MGW? Tri ax? Pro 5.0? Gotta get the handle closer to me, as reaching makes the pain unbearable, and my underarm and shoulder go numb. It's a bummer, but got the seat just right for my back-just gotta get a shifter that's closer and easier to shift. Sorry for the long post.

Micksnip

32vofFury

WHINE & DINE!
Established Member
i donno whats closest to you...i have only ever used mgw...it has a lot of adjustability but its tight for a little after u first get it

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
If you get an MGW, they modified the shifter to be closer to the driver. If you get the old version, it came with two handles, the red one being the best for driver comfort. If you get a blue handled shifter, I have a red handle around here that you can have.

MGW also used to make an adapter that replaced just the handle of the stock shifter that brought it much closer to the driver. Not sure if they have that anymore though.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I agree MGW is a great shifter, I have the orange. And Dale's right about the red being a bit closer. But I'd look at a Hurst also. I have seen 1 or 2, and they seemed like the handle was somewhat closer to the driver. Maybe not quite as short a shifter as some others, but might be just what the doctor ordered.

Sorry. :D

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
The MGW certainly has plenty of adjustability built into it. Good shifter.

Mike, I saw you yesterday on New Hampshire Ave in Ashton just as you were crossing over Route 108. Cobra looked/sounded great!

micksnip

Established Member
yo

IronTerp said:
The MGW certainly has plenty of adjustability built into it. Good shifter.

Mike, I saw you yesterday on New Hampshire Ave in Ashton just as you were crossing over Route 108. Cobra looked/sounded great!

Dwight-Thanx for the compliment. I love the Borlas and the CCW wheels and tires. I take every gear up to 4500 or so-music to my ears. Don't mind cracking it open every so often, either! Hey, you have the ported eaton-should'a caught up. I had to stab it on Randolph to get outta the way of oncoming traffic, and she just lifted, screamed, and soon they were an object in the rearview mirror. It was bliss-except the shifting-dang my shoulder was killing me. Pain goes up and down the spine, but it's like a bolt of lightning going from the spine to right upper arm.

Mike

micksnip

Established Member
thanx

MACAers-

Thanx everyone for the quick replies. I really like the beefy look of MGW, and definately will go with thred/orange handle for length and adjustability. Sunburned, thanx very much for the offer of your other handle. Look fwd to meeting you.
Naturally, I would like to know where you all bought yours? From MGW? Then for installation, did you get Dwight's-oops-Cobra Bob's, I forgot that he invented them gaskets? Shifter knobs-does our factory knob fit? I have a Hurst Metric aluminum T handle. If that won't fit, Mt Airy Advanced Auto won't take it back or order a replacement for american-their customer service sucks-they're not even "gettin; out of the chair" to serve you. If I can't get it to fit, I'll look to sell-MACA first.

Mike

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Mike, I think you have to buy from MGW. At least when I got mine a couple years ago that was the case. They're online, and seemed real good to deal with. I got their shifter knob with the cobra on it to replace my worn stock knob, but I think stock fits also. Don't know about the Hurst, though.

Sorry to hear about your pain, I know that can ruin an otherwise enjoyable drive. I get a bit if I sit too long in a car seat.

Mmmmmm......Ibuprofen.

CobraCleric

Youngblood
Established Member
Sounds like you're going with MGW. Solid choice! Its easily one of my favorite mods, and you gotta get the Racing Composite Knob with the cobra on top (even though it is a pretty penny). I used to have a the tri-ax with the long pro-comfort shifter because my cobra is my daily driver and I wanted comfort, but I'd easily go with MGW over the 2.
Hope the pain goes away.

Edit: i doubt you can wait 5 months but MGW has had some x-mas deals on their shifters in previous years.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I'm buying some MGW stock tomorrow.
5.gif

Users who are viewing this thread