What pistons?

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Manley have a good reputation. There are better but you will pay quite a bit more... but I honestly haven't priced any lately.

Last edited:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The Manley brand are by far the best modular piston available, we have tested them beyond 3000HP in a modular and have the worlds fastest Modular (6.04 @ 246.89) using them - no other piston manufacturer can claim this! We keep them in stock in all bore sizes and most compression ratios. Shoot us a PM with your bore size and we can give you some options and pricing. For others looking we have them starting as low as $499 set with Chrome Moly pins.

Modular Motorsports Racing

mmr%20piston.jpg

pro%20mod%20bako%202013.jpg

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Manley have a good reputation. There are better but you will pay quite a bit more... but I honestly haven't priced any lately.
I can tell you that Pro-Power ModMax jacked their prices Way Up ($200+)on the Manley Platinum series since I bought mine a few years ago...SO I'm guessing the makers raised them too..

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The Manley brand are by far the best modular piston available, we have tested them beyond 3000HP in a modular and have the worlds fastest Modular (6.04 @ 246.89) using them - no other piston manufacturer can claim this! We keep them in stock in all bore sizes and most compression ratios. Shoot us a PM with your bore size and we can give you some options and pricing. For others looking we have them starting as low as $499 set with Chrome Moly pins.

Modular Motorsports Racing

pro%20mod%20bako%202013.jpg
I agree but come on man the one's in your race car have a FEW more procedures done to them:D

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I agree but come on man the one's in your race car have a FEW more procedures done to them:D

Same exact design, thickness and crown! Manley incorporated most of what we learned in the race team cars and built it into the shelf pistons - we applaud them for this, as it has made a bullet proof piston that the general public can purchase.

As far as pricing, MMR will meet and BEAT any advertised price or sale on Manley Items, just call us with the best price you have seen. :beer:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
It's hard ot beat JE for very high applications. MMR, have you ever used JE pistons?

The Manley brand are by far the best modular piston available, we have tested them beyond 3000HP in a modular and have the worlds fastest Modular (6.04 @ 246.89) using them - no other piston manufacturer can claim this!

JE's have been 6.05 in a smaller engine so I assume the stress they were under was greater that what your manley's experieiced.

Last edited:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
It's hard ot beat JE for very high applications. MMR, have you ever used JE pistons?

JE's have been 6.05 in a smaller engine so I assume the stress they were under was greater that what your manley's experieiced.

Yes, we have used them, their shelf part #'s are far from the strength of the Manley shelf piston. It is possible however to have them make a better piston with custom specs, there is a wait time though and the price goes up.

In regards to the 2nd fastest modular that you mention it makes roughly 300HP less than the MMR car through a clutch in a lighter car and has only been 241MPH vs MMR's 246.89 (the current world record), so its the opposite as you may think, the stress is much higher as you make more power, cylinder pressure is cylinder pressure.

These are simply recommendations however based on our actual experience.

Also, you say its hard to beat a JE for very High HP applications, what personal experience do you have and how much power did it make? We are always open to other possibilities.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Had two piston failures in engines making over 800. One list a skirt and the other broke into pieces. Both engines were rebuilt with JEs and are holding up fine. The new combos are on the same timing and a/f.

Were you running the JEs in your blue car?

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
MMR has tested the JE's in all of the team cars but with zero success above 2000HP. Sounds like the failure you have mentioned was not piston related since we have proven the Manley pistons up to 3100HP and hold the world record.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Sounds like the failure you have mentioned was not piston related since we have proven the Manley pistons up to 3100HP and hold the world record.

dunno:shrug:, but the JEs are holding up. Also, everyome I know that has JE's likes them.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
800HP and 3100HP is a BIG difference, glad to hear you have had luck with them!

There's a big difference but most people here aren't going to see anything close to 1000fwhp.

Doesn't Mihovetz use JE pistons exclusively? I've seen a few of his builds in magazines and if I remember correctly that the manufacturer of his choice. His little 4.6 runs wells with them and stays together for a long time also. The engines he build for the flying mile events as well as Bonneville see some serious loads and they stay together also.

Speaking of him, I had the opportunity to meet him while at the Engine Master Competition.

I'm positive that any manufacturer can make a piston last, but I'm just not seeing any of the off the shelf stuff holding up to 3100 or even 2500 hp.

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
They are not Billet aluminum, they are a 2618 alloy Forging.

MMR, your right they are 2618 alloy. Racetek/Autotek is the same owner that use to own JE when they intially began. All the same designs are incorporated into their pistons. You can have a custom set ordered for no additional cost from them and they take about 2 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread