What piston rings will work in stock pistons??

2001Bullitt

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Hi guys, I'm new to this section seeing how I do not own a Cobra. Bear with me if this has been asked before, and I apologize if it has, I tried the search but I didn't notice anything. So I bought a 60k short block out of a 2003 Cobra to swap into my Turbo Bullitt. I have driven the car before and I know how it ran before the owner pulled it for a stroker motor. I was going to throw a new set of bearings ,rings ,and an oil pump at it to freshen it up prior to install. But as I am not up on the times with the Terminator engines that well, sadly, I have come to find out the pistons are discontinued... Which means I'm sure the factory rings are as well. I have messaged Steve at Tasca Ford about the rings and was told they are unavailable. I want to retain the stock pistons as they appear to be ok at this time, I have not pulled them yet, I will do so tomorrow. My question is really, what have any of you guys done with re ringing the stock Zollner pistons? I have been told that the Mach 1 rings work but I'm nervous. Any insight on this subject would be excellent. Don't want to go about building this thing and having it blow apart on me. Thanks in advance guys/gals. <Chris>

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I've only ever replaced rings with pistons so it was always a matched set. You should call a ring manufacture like Total Seal http://www.totalseal.com/ and explain to them what you have going on. Perhaps they can take a few specs from your stock piston and supply you with something. Or maybe you could send them in a set of rings from one of your pistons and they could measure them up and supply you with replacements.
Seems like it would be easy to get done since the 4.6 mod motor is so common.

2001Bullitt

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I've only ever replaced rings with pistons so it was always a matched set. You should call a ring manufacture like Total Seal http://www.totalseal.com/ and explain to them what you have going on. Perhaps they can take a few specs from your stock piston and supply you with something. Or maybe you could send them in a set of rings from one of your pistons and they could measure them up and supply you with replacements.
Seems like it would be easy to get done since the 4.6 mod motor is so common.

Not a bad idea thanks

Users who are viewing this thread