what needs to be done?

UncleJesse

Established Member
When twin turboing the 03 04 cobras what needs to be done? Is there any basic kits for this change over? and what is the cost and how much tuning?

Its going to be a do it myself project, i know turbos just need to know what is needed thanks.

Thanks Jesse

TRBO VNM

HellionCobra said:
buy a kit, wait 45-60 days, slap it on.

Nate

for a twin maybe...not the Hellion single though.... :thumbsup:

if you are dead set on twin, check out some other threads on here, THP and HP to decide between those. if you are open to a single that is a bolt on kit with no cutting, customer service and same week shipping, check out hellion. plus make 800+ rwhp out of the box with the addition of a boost controller on stock motor parts.

Everyone will back me on this, Hellion is the only kit out right now that has not had any negative feedback regarding install. so far everyone who has installed one has been able to do it by themselves or with a buddy helping and have had no major problems. just typical first time installer questions.

Last edited:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
UncleJesse said:
When twin turboing the 03 04 cobras what needs to be done? RETHINKING Is there any basic kits for this change over?TWO, see below and what is the cost and how much tuning? THP cost $7545

Its going to be a do it myself project, i know turbos just need to know what is needed thanks.

Thanks Jesse

Couple tips Jesse, you are gonna wanna search, research and re-research every decision you make if you are gonna do a turbo kit.

THP review pt#1 http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295696
THP review pt#2 http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296767

HP thread http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294469

I currently have a Hellion turbo kit that installed quickly and simply. Tuning with Jon Lunds help has been a breeze and the car pulls so hard it is like tunnel vision. I suggest you consider all options for your best result.

I have been where you are...

UncleJesse

Established Member
how much is the single turbo kit? and what else will I need? I need to know of ALL parts needed thank you.

Jesse!!

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
UncleJesse said:
how much is the single turbo kit? and what else will I need? I need to know of ALL parts needed thank you.

Jesse!!

http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/kit_0304cobra.php

Price is $6370

extra items needed;
99-01 Alternator #YR3210346AA
Alternator Bracket #XR3Z-10153-AB
99-01 Cobra Intake (Lower) #YR3Z9424BA (Upper) #XR3Z9424AA
03-04 MACH1 intake upper/lower
99-01 Serpentine Belt #4060980 ^ 6PK2490
99-01 Throttle Cable Bracket & Cable Bracket # XR3Z9728CA Cable #1R3Z9A758CA
Alternator Wires to extend pigtail #1U2Z14S411UA
*If keeping EGR is desired, need 99-01 EGR tube # XR3Z9D477DB

Shop in the market here or at www.corral.net for the intake upr/lwr, I was able to find new MACH1 upr/lwr and alt for $550 shipped. Mine came with the throttle cable bracket so I saved a little there.

The kits are in stock and usually arrive about 1 week after you order. Install requires no cutting on the car at all. You can upgrade the suspension components to Maximum Motorsports too for ultimate handling performance.

Best best is to call my Hellion dealer www.competitionspeedandsound.com and talk to Jason, very knowledgeable and helpful. 240-299-6532

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
Good luck with your decision, but from the few questions you have asked here, I wouldnt attempt this install on your own. Most shops will probably charge in the neighborhood of $1000 for the Helion and $1500 for the HP/THP kits for install...I'd suggest letting someone with experience do it for you (b/c you could run in to issues that need modifying).

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
UncleJesse said:
is it a step by step kit? that would be great!!!

comes with full instructions, step-by-step, excellent phone support line as well

smashedheadcat

Established Member
Funny how the hellion guys post nothing except bad things about the twin turbo kits....... Come on guys.... Why not post up how the twin boys are crushing you guys on power per pound of boost? Why not mention that HP has a car deep into the 9's? Why no mention how THP is destroying everyone in power? Why not mention that with the twin kits, you don't have to search the classifieds looking for parts you need to finish up your install and actually drive your car? Also, why don't you guys post up about all the happy twin turbo cobra owners? You guys are quick to post up about anything bad and don't give any other kit an once of credit. I say "Another Hellion?? Another car on the road I'm NOT worried about......" But, I will say that hellion's kit is nice, fits great I'm sure, ships quickly, but dear lord, you can take a nap before that thing is spooled up and even when it does hit...... it makes less power than it's competition....

97CobraTT

2003 Sonic Blue Cobra
Established Member
smashedheadcat said:
Funny how the hellion guys post nothing except bad things about the twin turbo kits....... Come on guys.... Why not post up how the twin boys are crushing you guys on power per pound of boost? Why not mention that HP has a car deep into the 9's? Why no mention how THP is destroying everyone in power? Why not mention that with the twin kits, you don't have to search the classifieds looking for parts you need to finish up your install and actually drive your car? Also, why don't you guys post up about all the happy twin turbo cobra owners? You guys are quick to post up about anything bad and don't give any other kit an once of credit. I say "Another Hellion?? Another car on the road I'm NOT worried about......" But, I will say that hellion's kit is nice, fits great I'm sure, ships quickly, but dear lord, you can take a nap before that thing is spooled up and even when it does hit...... it makes less power than it's competition....

I would hope a twin kit would make more than a single # per pound, that's common sense. Hp's kits seem to be hit or miss some have great experiences others have terrible. I Will say this I emailed Tom Berry from HP and he responded in a very QUICK timeframe, I'm talking a few hours most. He answered all my questions to my satisfaction, and overall I was very pleased with that aspect. He even sent me a spec sheet of an 03 Cobra with twin 57mm's and supporting parts. 800+rwhp and runs mid 9's which is DAMN impressive!

I do understand they don't stock alot of parts and backorders do occur but I will admit I'm impatient when it comes to spending that kind of money and having to wait. Personally I do want the Twin Hp kit with 57mm's or larger but as I said I'm stuck in my ways about waiting that long. I'm sure I will be more than happy with a single I'm not worried a great deal about a little turbo lag off the line as it will make up for it in the long run, or I can brake boost it off the line very lightly. For now I know I'll end up with the Hellion kit, with MM suspension upgrade. Thankfully I work for a dealership so obtaining the rest of the pieces of the puzzle before I even get my kit should not be a problem.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
97CobraTT said:
I would hope a twin kit would make more than a single # per pound, that's common sense.

Not true. They SHOULD be very close in both spooling and power per pound of boost.

Hp's kits seem to be hit or miss some have great experiences others have terrible. [/QUOTE]

I saw that thread where those pipes were beat to death with a hammer, then coated and shipped to the customer. THAT is unsatisfactory. It's hard to sit here and recommend their kit to people after seeing that. The fitment issues that were shown looks to me like IMPROPER installation. Obviously I'm not there to look at it in person, but I'd almost bet money that the driver's side header was flipped upside down. They got the piping to line up with the turbos because they used part of the up-pipe that's supposed to go on the passenger side to make it line up. The passenger side will go together perfectly either way. How do I know this?? Well, because when I started my install I did the exact same thing. Instead of taking pictures and posting all over the internet that HP sucks I flipped a few things around and VIOLA! I couldn't ask for a better fit from my HP kit.

bouncer18

Established Member
single turbo... twin turbo....

hellion -vs- Hp...

Might as well invite the GTO boys over so they can tell us how badass there factory 400 HP cars are but how they arent fast cause they weigh so much....

TRBO VNM

smashedheadcat said:

are you serious with this Josh? destroy us in power, make more per pound of boost, whatever you want to call it, I could care less.....let me see track times from more than just Mike Palugi. I don't know enough about the other kits to say anything about them and the most I know are the problem they have from install. At least the Hellion guys are buying, installing, making consistent numbers and going to the track and proving the kit. So far from the couple boards I follow I have seen 1 THP kit and 1 HP kit post up track results. So basically all the other customers are all talk right now. ask anyone around here, dyno numbers mean shit unless you prove it at the track and I would love to see some big number guys really try to put the power to the ground. it can happen, but isn't easy.

look at Rex, sure he went 141 @ 20# with the THP kit, but ET was 10.6. Buster went 140 @ 10.0 with more boost, but again the hellion has been proven time and time again on dyno and track.

and with the big race kit about to come out, there will be even more options from Hellion than they already have.

you don't have to search the classifieds for parts unless you want to. you can choose to buy new. And all the happy twin turbo guys? hmmm, why not name them all that post on these boards that have their car done and are driving it right now....hmmm, won't find many. so yeah, the few that have their car done or not broke are happy and should be after some of the install crap they had to go through. And all the reasons you posted and many more about the hellion are the reason there are more of them out there than any other kit and they are all running.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread