What mileage to change 6R80 ATF fluid?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The dealer recommended it when i last changed my oil and that was at 28000 miles

$$$$ profit tactic. Even 12 quarts of cheap fluid will make it longer than this. However, getting the initial wear metals out of the transmission and a filter change is a great idea.

saunupe1911

Established Member
I switched out the old 6R80 LV fluid to the Amsoil this AM. The 6R80 is shifting like butter. The biggest difference I feel from the Amsoil oil fluids is the smoothness. It's difficult to explain but the engine and trans is just so much smoother during normal driving and full throttle conditions. No slight jerkiness and thuds. Just smooth shifts and pulling from the powertrain. I will probably switch this out at 70 or 80k

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I switched out the old 6R80 LV fluid to the Amsoil this AM. The 6R80 is shifting like butter. The biggest difference I feel from the Amsoil oil fluids is the smoothness. It's difficult to explain but the engine and trans is just so much smoother during normal driving and full throttle conditions. No slight jerkiness and thuds. Just smooth shifts and pulling from the powertrain. I will probably switch this out at 70 or 80k

If you have a 2013-14 car, could you monitor transmission fluid temps to see how much the average range has reduced.

I have been monitoring my new car. Transmission fluid temps climb up to 190-195*F when I am pushing the car hard. I'm curious to know how many degrees on average Amsoil will lower fluid temps.

grnenvy

Established Member
When I changed out my fluid at 25k it wasn't bad at all. It had some clutch material stuck to the inside of the pan which is normal. The filter looked good also when I cut it open. I used Ford fluid which is fine don't get stuck on the high dollar stuff this isn't motor oil its trans fluid which is tough as hell already. Plus who knows if the synthetic stuff has all the right additives in it. With all the solinoids, electronics and valves I didn't want to take a chance.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I switched out the old 6R80 LV fluid to the Amsoil this AM. The 6R80 is shifting like butter. The biggest difference I feel from the Amsoil oil fluids is the smoothness. It's difficult to explain but the engine and trans is just so much smoother during normal driving and full throttle conditions. No slight jerkiness and thuds. Just smooth shifts and pulling from the powertrain.

and then.....

I used Ford fluid which is fine don't get stuck on the high dollar stuff this isn't motor oil its trans fluid which is tough as hell already. Plus who knows if the synthetic stuff has all the right additives in it. With all the solinoids, electronics and valves I didn't want to take a chance.

:shrug:

ATF6R80_zpsfeed2d64.jpg

ATF Wiki - Very interesting history about the evolution of Ford Mercon specifications. Amsoil Signature Series ATF covers all current requirements of Mercon V for use in the 6R80 transmission.

Last edited:

saunupe1911

Established Member
I got a 2012 so i cant monitor my fluid temps unless in diagnostic mode. I might do it this weekend. Cold shifts are much smoother though.

saunupe1911

Established Member
Like i mentioned earlier, my car is here for the long haul and I could tell the fluids needed changing from its cold characteristics. I wouldnt bet my trans that it can go for the lifetime of car the way drive it. A tuned 6r80 should definitely get this changed after 30k or 40k. Time will tell

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
You have proved my theory. Amsoil ATF in the 6R80 will allow an aggressively tuned transmission to shift easier on part throttle, especially when cold.

saunupe1911

Established Member
I had to rephrase my previous post. My 6R80 isnt tuned...yet...but i couldn't imagine a tuned 6R80 not replacing its fluids after 30k. This Amsoil is some top notch trans fluid. You know its great when the dealerships let you know thats what they would recommend on their own rides. Plus their warehouse is local so they got a nice following in the DFW

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Have you seen some bad reports on LV? Any specific issues with it?

Most people don't waste time on ATF UOAs like they do with engine lubricants. The ones I have seen show cheap Mercon V with weaker additive packs in the formulation that I wouldn't trust in my street racer for severe service up to the kind of mileage recommended by Ford. The cheaper base oils also do not survive severe heat as well. Amsoil used a very loose converter in one of their race trucks. Fluid temps peaked 300°F. A hose to the transmission cooler let go during the race due to extreme heat. The clutch packs and fluid were both suitable for continued use, no shearing, wear metals low. Cheap Mercon V would never do that.

Last edited:

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
I, honestly, haven't thought much about my transmission but with the Circle D 5c in my v6, it seems I may have been experiencing shudder and makes itself known by noise from the AE driveshaft's splined area. I mentioned I'd be concerned to try a fluid swap away from the stock fluid and this guy comes back and suggestions Dexron 6....??? I definitely don't want slippage even if that means "smoother" operation.

Is it possible to have a better fluid with no adverse affects? What about this guys recommendation because I'm skeptical.

Thanks for any feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread