What mileage to change 6R80 ATF fluid?

saunupe1911

Established Member
I have over 40,000 miles on the Stang and I'm wondering at what mileage should I change the 6R80 transmission fluid? So far I've only seen one or two threads on other sites about this subject. I assume this transmission really is that strong and durable from the factory.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
If you kicking the snot out of the car I would do it at 50k miles.
If your driving it normal then 150k miles like the manual states.
Mercon LV fluid

01bluesnake

Established Member
My OCD would never allow me to leave standard Motorcraft LV ATF in this transmission for 150,000 miles, even as a granny driven car.

Then I guess I have ocd as well since I wouldn't either lol. The way these cars get used, 30k is the max I would go. If the fluid isnt a nice clean red color, dump it right away and get some fresh quality fluid in there. We dump LV fluid at 30k on all the squads as it is brown/black by then from the heavy use. The trucks with the 6r get dumped at 50k

Shaun@AED

I waited 4k miles on my 13 F150 before swapping to Amsoil ATF...and it was not an easy task.

I won't do it again unless swapping the converter at the same time.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
My OCD would never allow me to leave standard Motorcraft LV ATF in this transmission for 150,000 miles, even as a granny driven car.

So beast what do you recommed to use in place of the LV. When changing the fluid?

bmyles

Established Member
Call it overkill if you like but any auto trans car or truck I ever owned I change it once a year. I always put a drain plug in the first time as well, It takes most of the mess out if it. Also if I am feeling ambitious I'll take the lines and cooler off and blow them out. I use nothing but amsoil btw

saunupe1911

Established Member
It was like $112 (shipping included) for 12 quarts via my preferred account. Ford should just charge me for the labor. I'm getting a dyno tune in August and I want my engine/tranny running the best fluids in this 100+ degree TX heat.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
So beast what do you recommed to use in place of the LV. When changing the fluid?

Amsoil LV ATF - 12 quarts

I recommend buying one 2.5 gallon jug and two 1 quart bottles.

*Warning, it's possible an aftermarket torque converter can hold more fluid due to a larger size*

I'd confirm with the TC manufacturer about fluid capacity increase.

12 qts of this thing? jeeebuz... that's one expensive oil change lol

and worth every penny, considering shifting will smooth up at cold start temps while increasing fuel economy.

I waited 4k miles on my 13 F150 before swapping to Amsoil ATF...and it was not an easy task.

I won't do it again unless swapping the converter at the same time.

Shaun, would you mind sharing your experience publicly. I want SVTP to know how difficult it is in the newer transmissions.

Last edited:

saunupe1911

Established Member
The combination of buying 2.5 gallons and 2 more quarts is a couple bucks more, not including shipping.

Last edited:

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member

*Warning, it's possible an aftermarket torque converter can hold more fluid due to a larger size*

and worth every penny, considering shifting will smooth up at cold start temps while increasing fuel economy.

Shaun, would you mind sharing your experience publicly. I want SVTP to know how difficult it is in the newer transmissions.

It's not. Warm the trans up to operating temp, fill the flush machine, go. Takes about a half hour. If you're talking doing it shadetree style it may be a little more involved.

D.T.R

Established Member

I just called Circle D about this, and they said it actually takes less fluid.
12 quarts is what Ford calls for on the stock converter right? I'll probably just buy 12 qts just in case, and have some left over fluid
I'm just going to go ahead and swap to Amsoil ATF and deal with it.

Last edited:

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I just called Circle D about this, and they said it actually takes less fluid.
12 quarts is what Ford calls for on the stock converter right? I'll probably just buy 12 qts just in case, and have some left over fluid
I'm just going to go ahead and swap to Amsoil ATF and deal with it.

Makes sense, performance converters are always smaller than stock.

Users who are viewing this thread