What kind of exhaust do I have, and how can I make it quieter without losing performance (high flow cats?)

PcChip

Established Member
Hi all,

I just bought a 2003 Cobra that was all stock except for exhaust and shifter

My main problem is that it's WAY too loud!

My secondary problem is that it smells a little rich, but I'm not sure if that's just the factory tuning and no cats causing the smell

Questions:
- what kind of exhaust do I have, does anyone recognize it?
- how should I make it quieter without losing performance?
- the right exhaust tip is slightly crooked and it's driving me crazy, is that an easy fix?

Here are some pics, thanks for any suggestions you have!

IMG20221015125225.jpg
IMG20221015125233.jpg
IMG20221015125219.jpg

01yellercobra

Established Member
Those look like Spin Tech mufflers to me. Which are loud mufflers. You can get a different cat back with quiter mufflers. Or you can add cats to your H pipe. That looks like a Summit H pipe to me. A decent set of cats won't kill your power.

It doesn't look like you have a lot of adjustment for the tips. You might have to take it to a shop to have the tip fixed.

olympic

Established Member
Running without cats will cause the exhaust to smell like fuel, it's normal. I can't say I recognize that exhaust system. The mufflers are welded in so it's not easy to swap them out. Maybe you can could splice in some small cats which will help reduce sound output.

As for the crooked exhaust tip, looks like all you can do is loosen the joint in front of the gas tank and see if you can adjust it.

PcChip

Established Member
thanks for the info!

I guess that begs the question - should I get quieter mufflers or high flow cats?

what are some of the quietest mufflers?

edit: actually, are the stock mufflers restrictive? the seller included the entire stock exhaust system with the sale so I have that as well

IMG20221010171553.jpg

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
If they are I doubt it's enough for you to notice. I don't remember noticing a difference when I had to run the stock mufflers to get a ticket signed off.

03' White Snake

Established Member
All Stock is whisper quiet and very restrictive. Either add hi flow cats or a new cat back. Adding cats is way cheaper.

Bassani, flowmaster, are all relatively quiet, some Borla too, Borla also sells obnoxiously loud mufflers too. SLP or any bullet style mufflers are loud.

robvas

Established Member
Catted aftermarket H pipe will quiet her down and you'll keep most of your power

You could swap those mufflers out for 80 series flowmasters or turbo mufflers but you'd lose a little power

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Add cats will dampen the loudness a bit, but I doubt you'll be satisfied. What is the overall condition of the setup installed?

If this were my own Cobra, I'd bite the bullet and go with a new catback (X or H) with cats. I had a Steeda catback (Borla) which wasn't loud but still had plenty of bark. For me, the setup was perfect. There are so many options it can make your head spin. If you can't afford a new system, consider some of the other suggestions above.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
If you have an issue with the smell then cats definitely need to be part of the solution.

D-MANN

Established Member
As fas as a catback the quietest one ive heard is the steeda catback that was made for them by borla. Idle its quiet but when you get on the gas it has a good growl. Nothing obnoxious. Unfortunately i spoke with a steeda rep month ago and they don’t carry it anymore. He said they needed 25 orders for borla to build it for them. With the popularity of magnaflow, bassani etc would take forever to sell 25 units. I can see quiet catbacks being popular soon with all the crackdowns on loud exhaust systems.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
As fas as a catback the quietest one ive heard is the steeda catback that was made for them by borla. Idle its quiet but when you get on the gas it has a good growl. Nothing obnoxious. Unfortunately i spoke with a steeda rep month ago and they don’t carry it anymore. He said they needed 25 orders for borla to build it for them. With the popularity of magnaflow, bassani etc would take forever to sell 25 units. I can see quiet catbacks being popular soon with all the crackdowns on loud exhaust systems.

I wouldn't believe the Steeda rep anyway. I reached out to Borla directly and they flat out said no. I'm thinking about picking up whatever mufflers they used in that catback and having them grafted into my current catback.

OP, do you have a shop that would install cats into your current H pipe? Depending on the cost that might be the way to go. It seems most catted pipes are close to $1000 nowadays. I would start there and then see how you feel about the sound. If you want it quiter then search out a new catback. Heck, some young buck that's all about the noise might be willing to trade you if they have a quiet set up.

PcChip

Established Member
OP, do you have a shop that would install cats into your current H pipe? Depending on the cost that might be the way to go.
I'm currently googling around for Dallas performance or Exhaust shops, not sure who I should go with

I was looking at these cats but it looks like they're $650 each, which cats would you recommend that flow really well?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have regular Bassani replacement cats on my car. But I bought them a long time ago and I'm sure the price is up on them. I would look at the normal exhaust companies. I bet even the Summit brand stuff is just rebadged parts from other companies without the mark up.

PcChip

Established Member
What is the overall condition of the setup installed?
I just realized I never answered you - the car only has ~5600 miles on it, so the exhaust that's on the car (photos included in first post) has even less than that. I'd say the overall condition is superb

it almost looks like it's been painted or coated in something as well, which I assume cost the original owner even more money

PcChip

Established Member
Update: I just called HPP here in the dallas area, and they recommended that I keep my catless H pipe and just replace everything else with a Magnaflow 15644 kit. They said that would be very quiet but not lose any performance

Anyone have any experience with that setup? is it decent quality?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Magnaflow is usually pretty solid.

Had a big dual in/dual out on my lightning and it was great, low rumble while cruising but loud enough at WOT

olympic

Established Member
I have a the Magnaflow and it's a a good quality catback and not the loudest of the bunch but it's still really loud when run without cats. I did some research on Youtube and cars with cats are noticeably quieter than those without, regardless off the catback used.

Since you want to get rid of the exhaust smell and quiet down the exhaust, why not just throw the stock exhaust back in? You already have it so it's free.

MG0h3

Established Member
Magnaflow is def quiet. Bros car has it with a catted H

Kinda sucks if you ask me but OR H is on the way.

cobracide

Established Member
Simple rule to follow with the 4v that has worked well for me and many others -

x-pipe + straight through mufflers

OR

h-pipe + chambered mufflers

Follow that and you can't go wrong.

Been using the MRT H with cats with the "quiet" borla 14858 (out of production) on my 2003 Cobra for 100k miles. Pretty tame until you get on it and then it comes to life. Used a Bassani X with magnaflow cat back on my 2001 Cobra.

I prefer the H - chambered setup personally. Its a more standard deep bass muscle car tone where as the x/straight muffler will give a more high end exotic euro sound. Either way you really can't go wrong. No cats will make it louder and you will maybe get a gas smell as mentioned. High flow cats are minimal hp loss ~5-10hp max.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread